Best way to use Tidal?

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
I’m having trouble deciding which way of using Tidal gives me the best audio. My options are to play from my pc via HDMI or through the MusicCast app. When using the app, signal info from my AVR says 44.1/16bit. When using the pc it says 192/24bit, but I’m fairly sure that’s just from the output settings on the of itself, not necessarily the audio content itself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What level of Tidal service do you subscribe to? Their normal stream would be 16/44.1, but supposedly the masters are are at 24/96 IIRC so I'd think it is just the audio settings in your pc.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
What level of Tidal service do you subscribe to? Their normal stream would be 16/44.1, but supposedly the masters are are at 24/96 IIRC so I'd think it is just the audio settings in your pc.
I'm trying out the HiFI level service. So far I'm really not sure I'm hearing a difference between that and the premium/normal level.

I looked for tracks labeled "masters" and toggled between that and the lowest quality then replayed the track. Unless I'm missing something and it's not actually changing from one to the other, it sounds pretty much the same to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying out the HiFI level service. So far I'm really not sure I'm hearing a difference between that and the premium/normal level.

I looked for tracks labeled "masters" and toggled between that and the lowest quality then replayed the track. Unless I'm missing something and it's not actually changing from one to the other, it sounds pretty much the same to me.
I wouldn't worry about how you listened to it then. I tried Tidal and didn't even finish the trial period, not because of quality issues but rather the poor interface and looking at JayZ ads far too often (as well as some content I had on Spotify and couldn't find on Tidal). I'm fine with Spotify's quality and much better interface....

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
I wouldn't worry about how you listened to it then. I tried Tidal and didn't even finish the trial period, not because of quality issues but rather the poor interface and looking at JayZ ads far too often (as well as some content I had on Spotify and couldn't find on Tidal). I'm fine with Spotify's quality and much better interface....
Fair enough. I was somewhat hoping I was doing something wrong and that's why I'm not hearing a difference. It seems more probable that I just don't hear it. Oh, well. If the cheaper service sounds as good as the more expensive one to me at least I'll be saving a little money lol.

I've only just signed up for the trial, I'm on day 2 and undecided. I might try Spotify for comparison.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair enough. I was somewhat hoping I was doing something wrong and that's why I'm not hearing a difference. It seems more probable that I just don't hear it. Oh, well. If the cheaper service sounds as good as the more expensive one to me at least I'll be saving a little money lol.

I've only just signed up for the trial, I'm on day 2 and undecided. I might try Spotify for comparison.
The audiophile retort is then your system isn't resolving enough! LOL. No sense spending on differences you don't hear....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC that's arguably about as high a resolution as we're able to appreciate and considerably higher than what Spotify ($10/month) is putting out.
But then they have part of that used for mqa, too.

320 OggVorbis is pretty good, many can't distinguish with CD let alone CD less MQA :)

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
But then they have part of that used for mqa, too.

320 OggVorbis is pretty good, many can't distinguish with CD let alone CD less MQA :)
Just a quick update, good call on Spotify. As you said, the interface is much better and the quality seems just fine to me. I had my wife mess around with it and after about 5 minutes she says “I like this, cancel the other one” lol.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
[
Just a quick update, good call on Spotify. As you said, the interface is much better and the quality seems just fine to me. I had my wife mess around with it and after about 5 minutes she says “I like this, cancel the other one” lol.
I might try Spotify next. My free trials on Prime unlimited and Apple Music are both ending soon and I still prefer Pandora Plus to those 2. I stream thru Apple TV 4K then HDMI to Yamaha. (For prime it’s via AirPlay to Apple TV)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
LIke @lovinthehd I tried Tidal and did the free trial period. I also didn't stay because I couldn't hear any difference between the magical mqa stuff and what Spotify offers and what I have recorded locally on CD. They want twice as much as Spotify and offer a smaller catalog. If a business wants to charge 2X for what the market leader provides, there had better be an audible difference. I couldnt hear any.

I offer the same advice to all, if you like it and find that it makes you happy, do ahead and do it. Its no skin off my nose. If Tidal makes you happy, knock yourself out. LIfe's too short otherwise

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis