Best way to Input Yamaha AV receiver from computer ?

Ed Belize

Ed Belize

Enthusiast
Hello everyone at Audioholics !

So now that I have the RX-A710 under control with the Network / Web Control, I'm looking for the best way to play the music stored as MP3 files on a PC. ( I could play from USB and sound is fantastic with an old set of Bose Home video speakers someone gave me more than 10 years ago: BOSE Acoustimass).

I didn't realize the Bluetooth was actually an option that needed a DOCK compatible with the 8 pin jack (which is discontinued and not common on ebay from what I can see)...

I have no cables here so I can't do any try right now, that's why I ask before I look for the best options (order, ship to the country or go to the city 6 hours bus drive back and forth see what they might have..)

HDMI ? mini jacks to RCA ?

Thank you again for any help !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
USB thumb drive is one way. You could send it over wifi/dlna I'd think. HDMI would work. These three methods would send a digital signal for processing in the avr. Using a 3.5mm to rca analog connection would be another, but some complain about pc noise using such a connection (but could be just fine, too depending on your particular computer). How to use a pc to send over dlna/wifi is on page 64 of the manual https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/323763/RX-A710_Manual.pdf

Glad you sorted out the situation without the remote!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Download the manual and keep it handy. You will need the remote controller or Yamaha AV Controller app. Have you tried using the app since getting it connected to your network?
D1B33A66-C724-4481-B040-DEE141E4FD61.jpeg

Ed Belize

Ed Belize

Enthusiast
Thank you for info !
I borrowed the HDMI and it works great, easy to set up on Ubuntu then browse/play music with Rhythmbox.

I wonder why a Bluetooth transmitter to HDMI wouldn't be more common (limited debit ?) compare to the the RCA output.

I have downloaded the manuals before I got the unit delivered. Lots to read ;)

I'll have more questions for sure !

Thank you for help !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bluetooth to HDMI? Why bother with bluetooth, it is just limited compared to what signals HDMI or even wifi/dlna can handle (altho bluetooth over the years has become more high fidelity)....and many streaming services will actually use an internet connection from the servers rather than bluetooth from your pc/phone/tablet, like Spotify Connect. I don't know anything about linux/unix or Rhythmbox, but looking at the wiki for Rhythmbox and the DAAP sharing plugin looks like you can do it over your local network that way, seemingly following Apple's method (?).

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have Smart phone or tablet on your network? The Yamaha AV Controller app would be very convenient to use as the remote controller for the system.

Ed Belize

Ed Belize

Enthusiast
Thank you all for all the additional info.

I have tried the app quickly, not exploring much, it's a definitely a good option, still limited in a way, right ? In my personal situation, If I work on my laptop it's more convenient to control the music from the player on the same machine, especially with Gigs of music stored on hard drive (no streaming for me, I torrent music and save over the years).

I found the sound output option (HDMI), and even the media sharing option (screen captures) if this may convince users to give a try to Linux (Ubuntu or other distro). Very easy to setup.

I still didn't read enough the documentation yet to understand how to send music signal over wifi (instead of bluetooth) to play music from other room. I will keep looking.

Thanks again for great help.

Definitely the Yamaha setup is fantastic.

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use MusicCast app and stream music files from my Windows 10 PC to any Yamaha in the house.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis