Best Way to Capture LP to Digital

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
I am getting a turntable to play my LPs that have sat idle for nearly 30 years. I am not up on the technology, and I do not want to spend more than about $500. But my question here is -- what is the best way to capture my LP songs digitally? Is that even a good idea? If I get a turntable with a built-in preamp, does that make digital capture more difficult? I see the USB ports on the cheaper turntables in stores, but the better turntables seem to ignore this potential. But I am completely ignorant on this topic, and have much learning to do.

Any comments / advice is welcome. Thanks!

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
I already have a media room with 7.1 sound, so this music listening room is mostly for me listening to music (2-channel, Klipsch Forte III speakers), and for my wife to watch a new 75" 4K TV, with a third Forte III as center channel. No subs or surround speakers for now, maybe later. I plan on a Marantz SR6011 or 6012. The TV will be on a wall, with just the three speakers. The audio rack will be out of the way on the right, not in the main field of vision while listening to 2-channel or watch TV.

I have a MacBook that I plan to use to capture, at least initially.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You asked for the best way, which is not possible on that budget, so you need to add a zero.

You can do a hack job, but a professional job takes money and a skill set.

If I were you I would not worry about making digital copies of your LPs. Your budget only just buys you a decent entry turntable. Cheap turntables are a real mess.

If you want the pleasure of spinning vinyl get a decent turntable and forget the digital copy, at least for a start. In all likelyhood you will not want to make digital copies of your LPs. I have not and I have a state of the art digital workstation. I do archive for others though.

With proper care on a decent turntable, LPs are highly durable and do not wear out.

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all your advice, which convinced me not to try to digitize my LPs. I ended up ordering a U-Turn custom Orbit, black, acrylic platter, Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, with cue and built-in preamp. This is a great place to start for me. Decided on the Marantz SR6012. Now I need to decide on TV and DVD/CD player.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for all your advice, which convinced me not to try to digitize my LPs. I ended up ordering a U-Turn custom Orbit, black, acrylic platter, Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, with cue and built-in preamp. This is a great place to start for me. Decided on the Marantz SR6012. Now I need to decide on TV and DVD/CD player.
LOL even tho I have the ART unit to digitize, I've only done a few favorites....just not the same as having a nice clean digital copy and it's kind of a pain to do as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Perfect choice for a starter turntable. That would have been my top recommendation.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
I have wanted to digitize my LPs for many years, but the cost is a barrier as is the time needed to babysit the process. I have considered buying CDs to replace them where I can, but in my experience the CD never sounds as musical as the LP. It’s a dilemma I very much wish had an easier solution.

I will make a guess that many of my LPs have never been transferred to CD and perhaps that music performance will be lost forever. What a shame!!

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have wanted to digitize my LPs for many years, but the cost is a barrier as is the time needed to babysit the process. I have considered buying CDs to replace them where I can, but in my experience the CD never sounds as musical as the LP. It’s a dilemma I very much wish had an easier solution.

I will make a guess that many of my LPs have never been transferred to CD and perhaps that music performance will be lost forever. What a shame!!
There is no getting around baby sitting the process. I've digitized my LP's using software, which makes the process easy nevertheless; and, the software is so straight forward there is very little chance that you will make any sort of error which will compromise the sound of your digitization.

That software is Roxio's Easy LP to mp3, which requires absolutely no understanding of recording process to operate, just follow the step by step prompts; and, the finished product will only be distinguishable from the original LP when you apply the software's pop filter to the digitization, actually making your digitization sound better than the LP it was produced from.

The software comes with an ADC so you will only need to route your turntable's output to preamp and from preamp to ADC. Then just record a wav file, separate tracks, burn to a CD, and rip the CD to your computer's music player, using the music player's automatic capability to identify and label tracks, instead of using the software's track labeling feature, which would require some time consuming manual input.

After you get the process down pat, you can expect an average time of about 80 minutes from start to finish for a very complicated gapless recording, most of your time being spent on finding the best place for track separators. For LP's having greater physical space between tracks, your total time will be about an hour, more or less.

Finally, some here advise against digitization, claiming the digitization is 1. not necessary since records will not likely wear out, and 2. the digitization will not sound as good as the record. Well, records can indeed wear out; and, digitization can actually sound better than the LP, as the LP's distracting pops can be filtered. But, the best reason of all for digitization is it gives the music mobility, to enjoy on any of your devices, anywhere in or out of your home. So, the questions are: what is your leisure time worth, and would you rather do something else with that precious time that could be more meaningful to you?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

There is no getting around baby sitting the process. I've digitized my LP's using software, which makes the process easy nevertheless; and, the software is so straight forward there is very little chance that you will make any sort of error which will compromise the sound of your digitization.

That software is Roxio's Easy LP to mp3, which requires absolutely no understanding of recording process to operate, just follow the step by step prompts; and, the finished product will only be distinguishable from the original LP when you apply the software's pop filter to the digitization, actually making your digitization sound better than the LP it was produced from.

The software comes with an ADC so you will only need to route your turntable's output to preamp and from preamp to ADC. Then just record a wav file, separate tracks, burn to a CD, and rip the CD to your computer's music player, using the music player's automatic capability to identify and label tracks, instead of using the software's track labeling feature, which would require some time consuming manual input.

After you get the process down pat, you can expect an average time of about 80 minutes from start to finish for a very complicated gapless recording, most of your time being spent on finding the best place for track separators. For LP's having greater physical space between tracks, your total time will be about an hour, more or less.

Finally, some here advise against digitization, claiming the digitization is 1. not necessary since records will not likely wear out, and 2. the digitization will not sound as good as the record. Well, records can indeed wear out; and, digitization can actually sound better than the LP, as the LP's distracting pops can be filtered. But, the best reason of all for digitization is it gives the music mobility, to enjoy on any of your devices, anywhere in or out of your home. So, the questions are: what is your leisure time worth, and would you rather do something else with that precious time that could be more meaningful to you?
If you are wearing out records, then there is something wrong with your turntable or it is inferior.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
I’m sorry to have to confess that your response was disheartening- one hour per recording!! Ouch. I have 400 LPs, at least. I suppose not all are worth digitizing, but still, that’s a serious investment in time.

Also, why did you choose mo3? I wouldn’t feel it’s worth doing if copied as mp3. I would want WAV or FLAC. Is the software only capable of mp3?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I’m sorry to have to confess that your response was disheartening- one hour per recording!! Ouch. I have 400 LPs, at least. I suppose not all are worth digitizing, but still, that’s a serious investment in time.

Also, why did you choose mo3? I wouldn’t feel it’s worth doing if copied as mp3. I would want WAV or FLAC. Is the software only capable of mp3?
You are correct it is not worth doing as an MP3. You do need FLAC or Wav. Yes, the software will easily do this. I started doing archiving when I built my first DAW in 2002. However I quickly gave it up. It is just not worth the effort and storage space.

Theoretically you could play the record at a higher speed, say 78. You could get software to frequency shift back to the original speed. However you would need a cartridge with a response to 47 KHz.

That is what bedeviled high speed commercial tape duplication. The result was always far less optimal than real time duplication.

Really playing the LPs is a pleasure and not a hardship.

Your issue of the CD being worse than the LP can happen. The problems are many. It depends which tape master was archived. Was it the original first edited master from the original sessions, or is it the master for the cutting lathe? If the latter there will be a problem. Next tapes deteriorate over time, some brands worse than others. Ampex tapes used extensively for US recordings have been a particular problem in this regard. Whereas EMITAPE used by the European EMI group seems to have very long legs as does German BASF.

Then we get the issue of how well the tape machine to play back the tape master for CD is set up. There are now far too few people who know how to do this properly.

RCA recordings have a particular problem. RCA used a proprietary tape equalization constants. These have been lost and dumped into the demo barge on the Delaware river, when their old headquarters was demolished. So they are played back with NAB Eq usually which is not quite correct. I have some CDs from RCA masters and you can tell the playback equalization is a little off so they play back hot and do not sound as good as the original LP pressings.

When Robert Fines widow, Wilma Cozart, had a tape machine specially built in Japan to do the CD and SACD transfers of the Mercury Living Presence recordings. She was in her nineties when she did this, and did a fabulous job. Most don't take nearly that much care.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
20180428_143129.jpg
20180428_143129.jpg
20180428_143129.jpg
I am getting a turntable to play my LPs that have sat idle for nearly 30 years. I am not up on the technology, and I do not want to spend more than about $500. But my question here is -- what is the best way to capture my LP songs digitally? Is that even a good idea? If I get a turntable with a built-in preamp, does that make digital capture more difficult? I see the USB ports on the cheaper turntables in stores, but the better turntables seem to ignore this potential. But I am completely ignorant on this topic, and have much learning to do.

Any comments / advice is welcome. Thanks!
Umm, what ya got? How many do you have? What's your taste? Got any you would like to part with? USB port, and a pre-amp built-in will work, done it burned it still doing it. Go for it, plus since your getting back to your roots, Vinly has made some nice upgrades. There is a post on this forum that even talks about HD-Vinyl! Plus if you don't already know there is a Virgin :eek: Vinyl 180g and translucent colors :D. I highly recommend once you do get set-up for Vinyl play back with a good TT and don't be shy on a nice cartridge upgrade.
Get yourself a good brush a static gun and some cleaner. You'll be spinning better than the day when you first cut open your new album. Technology has definitely improved from Vinyl, now some of the CD, streamers, and IPhone, smartphones :confused: user's will come at you with o_O.lol, pay no attention, it's Your hobby, your money.;)

PS, As I posted this spinning LRB, purchased back in January 7th 1977 their first Album. cost me $5.37. Still in excellent condition. :)

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Roxio only works on Microsoft Windows, at least according to their site:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/easy-lp-to-mp3/standard/requirements.html

S

sterling shoote

I did not choose mp3. The software was developed when mp3 was still viable for those with limited hard drive space, and thus it allows for mp3 recording; but, today most I think would want to digitize to a wav file, which the software does by simply selecting that format.

For me, I digitize when I have nothing else to do with my time which is meaningful; and, for the most part, only on LP's which I can not download from the iTunes Store, or buy at my local book store. At any rate, the investment in time is probably not worth it, unless you find it rewarding in other than economic terms.

Echolane

Echolane

Audioholic Intern
You are correct it is not worth doing as an MP3. You do need FLAC or Wav. Yes, the software will easily do this. I started doing archiving when I built my first DAW in 2002. However I quickly gave it up. It is just not worth the effort and storage space.

Theoretically you could play the record at a higher speed, say 78. You could get software to frequency shift back to the original speed. However you would need a cartridge with a response to 47 KHz.

That is what bedeviled high speed commercial tape duplication. The result was always far less optimal than real time duplication.

Really playing the LPs is a pleasure and not a hardship.

Your issue of the CD being worse than the LP can happen. The problems are many. It depends which tape master was archived. Was it the original first edited master from the original sessions, or is it the master for the cutting lathe? If the latter there will be a problem. Next tapes deteriorate over time, some brands worse than others. Ampex tapes used extensively for US recordings have been a particular problem in this regard. Whereas EMITAPE used by the European EMI group seems to have very long legs as does German BASF.

Then we get the issue of how well the tape machine to play back the tape master for CD is set up. There are now far too few people who know how to do this properly.

RCA recordings have a particular problem. RCA used a proprietary tape equalization constants. These have been lost and dumped into the demo barge on the Delaware river, when their old headquarters was demolished. So they are played back with NAB Eq usually which is not quite correct. I have some CDs from RCA masters and you can tell the playback equalization is a little off so they play back hot and do not sound as good as the original LP pressings.

When Robert Fines widow, Wilma Cozart, had a tape machine specially built in Japan to do the CD and SACD transfers of the Mercury Living Presence recordings. She was in her nineties when she did this, and did a fabulous job. Most don't take nearly that much care.
Thank you, Wilma Cozart! We need people who care to do something like this. And money, of course.

I have a particular example of a striking difference in quality between an LP and it’s CD version. It’s a glorious sounding Beverly Sills on an LP entitled Bellini and Donizetti Heroines. I was auditioning a new CD Player and I’d brought along this record because I wanted to hear it played on the ultra high end equipment my audio guy has. It was just gorgeous. And then he offered to clean it. A big machine with a chemical bath inside costing around $3000 as I recall. Anyway, after the record was cleaned we played it again. The difference was jaw dropping. From gorgeous it went to breathtakingly beautiful. I immediately went searching for a CD, thinking to play it rather than wear out my vinyl treasure. The CD turned out to almost unlistenable, harsh, edgy, shrill, awful. This experience has stayed with me. Fortunately not all transfers to CD turn out like this.

S

sterling shoote

If you are wearing out records, then there is something wrong with your turntable or it is inferior.
Oh yes you can wear out a record, even with a great player and cartridge. You only need digitize a new record and at some point, having enjoyed the record a few hundred times, compare it to the digitized version loudly. After all, if a diamond stylus can wear out, the vinyl which is colliding with that diamond is going to wear out too. Nevertheless, it's pretty moot, in the big picture.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis