best subwoofer for under $500?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
FWIW, I'd expect the extra low end grunt of the PB12 would be of most use in a larger room with zilch for room gain. Still, for another incremental step up in cost over a single PB12, dual PB1000s would deliver more output and help even out in room FR.
I appreciate the info and agree with you. Unfortunately, my SO does not share my enthusiasm for this hobby from an expenditure point of view.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
They often never do....but they eventually get over it...I mean how long do you think she'll keep you in the doghouse...:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
They often never do....but they eventually get over it...I mean how long do you think she'll keep you in the doghouse...:D
I'm even worse off than that. I don't even own a doghouse to grawl into? Come to think of it, I can always move into the garden shed. :p

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
That's my main problem with all of this is my wife. If it were me I'd buy the biggest and best sub money can buy but in reality that's not the case. I can here the complaining starting already, she doesn't know that I'm looking at spending close to $800 for a single speaker. She's gonna flip out! Lol

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Ed, since u work for SVS what do you think the better route would be? My room is 18x15x9 and I have a open floor plan which my main room opens up into a dinning room and kitchen? 2 PB-1000's are a single PB-12

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If she hears a properly setup true subwoofer, she might give you some slack. A great subwoofer system can sound amazing.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I hope you right Shady are ill be hearing it for a while! Lol

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Oh! And shady I looked at the measurements on Josh Ricci's link u gave me. I read his thoughts on each of these subs and I don't know if its just I'm reading into it to much but from what he said about both subs it seems like he was more so impressed by the PB-12. Did you read that? Just wondering?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh! And shady I looked at the measurements on Josh Ricci's link u gave me. I read his thoughts on each of these subs and I don't know if its just I'm reading into it to much but from what he said about both subs it seems like he was more so impressed by the PB-12. Did you read that? Just wondering?
There is a lot to like about the PB12 NSD. It performs terrifically under it's limits and doesn't break a sweat even when pushed to the absolute maximum. The problem is the limiter is very strict to keep it in line. It's like a limiter on a car. In a car analogy you might say the Outlaw sub allows for greater speeds at the cost of some handling and control at its limits. The PB12 NSD never loses complete control over itself, however the cost is it doesn't go as fast. A lot of the DIY guys like Ricci are more into greater dynamic range more than flawless playback, which is not a surprise as many of their backgrounds are from car audio and live audio. Ricci himself says in this post:
I would rather have a sub that maintains the dynamics better even with somewhat higher distortion than one that stays very clean but obviously is hitting the limiter hard reducing output.
The PB12 NSD is admirable as a technical achievement for to the perfectly flat frequency response and extremely low THD even at full throttle. For me though, big dynamics are just a lot more fun. And keep in mind that even though the Outlaw does have a lot more distortion, it wouldn't be very audible except at very high sound levels and even then it would be subtle, because it is lower order harmonic distortion which is considered the least offensive distortion and difficult to hear unless it comprises a big chunk of the output.

Last edited by a moderator:
pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
So basically the quote unquote distortion would only be noticed or maybe not at absolute max. So technically like u have been saying the outlaw has more power for the price then the PB-12. The major point for me now is the fact that the outlaws warranty is a couple years less than SVS's Warranty and withe SVS They have 45 day trial going on right now if your not satisfied you can return it for no extra charge. And if I pay through pay-pal I have 6 months to pay it off. With outlaw I don't have those options, and would like to get a sub rather sooner than later. It's driving me crazy not having that low end. Lol

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
If you miss the Outlaw sale, there's the SVS PB-1000 or the new VTF-MK2 by HSU.

Oakley Sunglasses

I think that sale is over last time I checked, if it was still on sale we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Lol I would have just bought one already , I wish it was but I don't have the patience to wait for the next one.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might also think about getting the Hsu VTF3 mk4, it is on sale right now with a $50 discount, so $750 shipped. It's basically an improved version of the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. The EX is based off of the VTF3 mk2. The VTF3 has larger ports which make for better deep bass performance, a Q control, and some other minor improvements to the driver and amp. Their output is similar. This is what I would go for.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
So its a good sub to check in to? Ill give it a look over. Thanks Shady! And thanks for all the help by the way.:)

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Shady, HSU VTF3 MK4 SUB looks really nice but where I have to put it I don't know if that'll work. Remember I need to lay it on its side and its gonna be in a enclosed area. The would only be 2" between the woofer and the shelf on my entertainment center. If you look at my profile you'll see what I'm working with I posted a pic of my entertainment center on there.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Afterlife2 I was wondering what was up with the crazy little animation on the bottom of the post. Lol I think they have been banned.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, HSU VTF3 MK4 SUB looks really nice but where I have to put it I don't know if that'll work. Remember I need to lay it on its side and its gonna be in a enclosed area. The would only be 2" between the woofer and the shelf on my entertainment center. If you look at my profile you'll see what I'm working with I posted a pic of my entertainment center on there.
I see. I think two inches would be sufficient. If you look at down-firing subs like the LFM-1 EX and XV15, 2" is about the clearance they get from the floor, if even that much. On the other hand, I would want to give the ports a bit more space than 2" though, I think I would want the ports to have 3" or 4".

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I guess that's one of the other resins I was leaning toward the PB, Its a front firing woofer and the port is also on the front side. why is this so difficult to make a decision!!! Lol

H

hemingray

Enthusiast
I guess that's one of the other resins I was leaning toward the PB, Its a front firing woofer and the port is also on the front side. why is this so difficult to make a decision!!! Lol
Because it's apples and oranges comparisons!

Remember tax and shipping - because I'm in CA, Hsu has to add tax and the $99 shipping tagged a chunk onto the total.

That's another reason - but not the end-all - for me choosing the Rythmik LV12R. I was funded through the VTF3 MK4, but chose the Rythmik for value, reputation and the servo technology.

I did a spreadsheet during my 2 months of bass-less life (not baseless, LOL!) - to help me understand all the differences in response, dimensions, weight, price, etc. It's an emotional decision for sure. I think the reality is that you would love any one of your choices. My gut feeling is that the PB-1000 is for you, given what you have to work with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis