Best sub under $1K??

M

MovingForward

Audioholic Intern
What is the best sub for under $1K? My room is about 15x13x9 & it will be used 50%movies & 50%music....

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Best? Who knows.

Check out the Rythmik FV15 though.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
"BEST" is subjective upon your taste

In your case, you have a smallish size room.... Is it open to other pars of the house or sealed off....
That VTF will be ridiculous output and be more then necessary, but you won't have to upgrade if you move to a larger room...

The Epic Empire would be a great sub for that size room I would think...
Good clean sealed for music and still powerful enough for movies in a smaller - medium size room...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For such a small room I'd just grab 4 Dayton Sub 120's and put one in each corner. :D They make nice decor are cheap as dirt and will certainly get the job done in a litttle room.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
More is, well........ more!

At the MSRP $1K price point I would definately opt for 2 $500ish subs in your room.

If I were designing your system, I would recommend 2 TruAudio Sub-10.
http://www.truaudio.com/onesheets/os-subs.asp

MSRP = $450 each x2 = $900 MSRP. That's without getting a "deal" or price break on them.

This is an excellent performer that we've used on several lower budget projects. Lots of output & not going to get muddy on you in that size room. Worth every penny of $450 IMO compared to competing products we've looked at.

If you're dead set on $1K for 1 sub I would look to get a deal on Phase Technology's newer PC-SubWL10. MSRP = $1500 but it can be had around a $1K from a high volume dealer without much haggling. http://www.phasetech.com/products.html?product_id=WL-10

M

MovingForward

Audioholic Intern
What about Velodyne MiniVee10 or Optimum10?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
You'll get more bang for your buck buying from an internet direct company. If floorspace is an issue you can always go with a SVSounds PC12-NSD, or a pair of Emotiva Ultra 12 sealed subs in the corners. A lot depends on if there are other rooms and spaces open to your room. If I were you I'd wait a week or two and go see how the tests come out.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
You'll get more bang for your buck buying from an internet direct company. If floorspace is an issue you can always go with a SVSounds PC12-NSD, or a pair of Emotiva Ultra 12 sealed subs in the corners. A lot depends on if there are other rooms and spaces open to your room. If I were you I'd wait a week or two and go see how the tests come out.
This is not 100% truth. It is, however, commonly accepted as truth by people on INTERNET forums who are marketed to by.... INTERNET based companies.

Are there some really good ID products out there? Yep! Are there some good deals to be had? Yep! But the same can be said of B&M brands as well. I see blanketed statments like ID = More Value on forums all the time. That isn't the case on a day in & day out basis. I can see why people on the internet would want to think that because that's how they are marketed to.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Another option is dual Epik Legends.
My vote would still be to go with one Empire. Costs less and probably less shipping as well.

This is not 100% truth. It is, however, commonly accepted as truth by people on INTERNET forums who are marketed to by.... INTERNET based companies.

Are there some really good ID products out there? Yep! Are there some good deals to be had? Yep! But the same can be said of B&M brands as well. I see blanketed statments like ID = More Value on forums all the time. That isn't the case on a day in & day out basis. I can see why people on the internet would want to think that because that's how they are marketed to.
While it may not be 100% true, it isn't the companies themselves that are saying this. You will note that most of these manufacturers are NOT allowed to market directly on this forum as well as many others. Yes, you DO get great value for your dollar from ID companies, but that doesn't mean there aren't good subs out there from mainstram manufacturers. No doubt, ID companies should definitley be on the list for consideration though.

Last edited:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
My Velodyne rep got me a Velodyne Optimum-12 to sample for a few months. I had a Phase Tech PC-SUBWL12 at the same time & A/B tested between the two like-priced products many times. The Phase Tech PC-SUBWL series, IMO, is a superior product.

Before the Phase Techs came out I did use 2 Optimum-10 subs in a client's system and got really good results. The product is excellent and very compact. I don't think you would be dissapointed with the Velodyne, just that I like the Phase Tech better after putting them both through our demo systems.

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
Yes there is a lot of good subs from both sides under 1K but if you don't live any where close to a B&M shop the internet is great not only can one save on gas but tax as well. Forums are a good spot to learn about both with the good and bad. Happy hunting there is a lot of great subs out there under the 1K mark.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Agree!!!!!

Yes there is a lot of good subs from both sides under 1K but if you don't live any where close to a B&M shop the internet is great not only can one save on gas but tax as well. Forums are a good spot to learn about both with the good and bad. Happy hunting there is a lot of great subs out there under the 1K mark.
100% spot on!

M

MovingForward

Audioholic Intern
What about the Velodyne MiniVee10 or Optimum10??

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
What about the Velodyne MiniVee10 or Optimum10??
See post #12 for my impressions of the Optimum 10 & 12 models after having used them both. Not sure if anyone else on here has much experience with those models? If so, I'm sure they'll chime in.

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
Actually, it was Warpdrv who said it first :) Seriously though, under $1K, I think this sub is really hard to beat.
From what I keep reading it seems like its hard to beat in general forgetting the 1k price cap and if one isnt enough then two should do the job, and if you have even bigger space 4 will do the job! It seems that the Epik Empire is currently one the best subs to be had period. I as well am in the market for a new sub and couldnt decide between a pair of empires or an ED a7-450 (not the a7s) and Epik empire keeps getting the vote.

T

TommyTom83

Junior Audioholic
I just wish that there was a way to here an empire or other internet brand subs, as I dont like making a choice without hearing it for myself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis