Best Speaker Brands

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Hmmm. My dad gave me his pair of old and heavy(~20lbs.) KLH bookshelves that sounded superb in our bedroom (no veneer finish on these babys). The only reason I got rid of them was that I came into a set of DCM bookshelf monitors (L, R, and center). It still took me over an hour swapping speakers back and forth, while listing to various audio sources, before I could make up my mind. Of course, now that I'm not using the KLH's, I'll need to buy a sub because the DCM's don't go so low.
I figure if KLH can make something that nice, they'll, hopefully, do so again.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Rak,

Which ones are they? KLH is very entry level, with very inexpensive drivers. You're setup is fine for a budget entry system - there's just no timber matching. We've told you this numerous times. No receiver will timber match your speakers.
http://www.amazon.com/b/002-5518118-5762461?ie=UTF8&node=3005291
Looks like the Sonys I own sound better than the whole KLH line. I think you can do much better than KLH, Rak. If not what I have, go for a nice pair of JBLs or Infinitys. They aren't terribly expensive, and they sound good for the money. As a matter of fact, you might be able to snag some nice used ones on Ebay. Kappa series or something close. As I recall, the old SM series are nice rockers too.

http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?sofocus=pf&sbrftog=1&from=R2&catref=C3&socmd=ListingItemList&satitle=&sacat=14990&catref=C6&curcat=true&a6=31593&a14=31332&a31572=-24&a10244=-24&gcs=1578&pfid=1963&reqtype=2&pfmode=1&alist=a6,a14,a31572,a10244,a31573,a3801&pf_query=&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=43612&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=2&fsoo=2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

I can tell you the sub I have is a nice monster to have, and it's just shy of $200.

R

rak_32

Banned
myriad1973 said:
Looks like the Sonys I own sound better than the whole KLH line. I think you can do much better than KLH, Rak. If not what I have, go for a nice pair of JBLs or Infinitys. They aren't terribly expensive, and they sound good for the money. As a matter of fact, you might be able to snag some nice used ones on Ebay. Kappa series or something close. As I recall, the old SM series are nice rockers too.

http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?sofocus=pf&sbrftog=1&from=R2&catref=C3&socmd=ListingItemList&satitle=&sacat=14990&catref=C6&curcat=true&a6=31593&a14=31332&a31572=-24&a10244=-24&gcs=1578&pfid=1963&reqtype=2&pfmode=1&alist=a6,a14,a31572,a10244,a31573,a3801&pf_query=&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=43612&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=2&fsoo=2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

I can tell you the sub I have is a nice monster to have, and it's just shy of $200.
i thought sony speakers were not good? thats what i was told here. Anyways, so no receiver can acomadate my speakers? The sound will always be off no matter what?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
rak_32 said:
BOSE is not good? How about AR or Magnavox? I saw a whole 6.1 surround sound setup MAGNAVOX for only 80.00. It included a dvd player and a receiver.
both ar & magnavox are quite good but if you really want the best bang for your buck best buy is now carring the new maytag line of home theater systems,i heard that you can get a 2,500 total watt maytag system for under $100 & you know a maytag will last a life time.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
rak_32 said:
i thought sony speakers were not good? thats what i was told here. Anyways, so no receiver can acomadate my speakers? The sound will always be off no matter what?
The series I bought are a big improvement over others Sony has made, especially for the price. The sub is superb. You should first replace your speakers and go from there.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
highfihoney said:
both ar & magnavox are quite good but if you really want the best bang for your buck best buy is now carring the new maytag line of home theater systems,i heard that you can get a 2,500 total watt maytag system for under $100 & you know a maytag will last a life time.
.....currently on the floor laughing....correct, don't forget the commercials about the Maytag repairman never having anything to do.......

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Blundaar said:
Hmmm. My dad gave me his pair of old and heavy(~20lbs.) KLH bookshelves that sounded superb in our bedroom (no veneer finish on these babys). The only reason I got rid of them was that I came into a set of DCM bookshelf monitors (L, R, and center). It still took me over an hour swapping speakers back and forth, while listing to various audio sources, before I could make up my mind. Of course, now that I'm not using the KLH's, I'll need to buy a sub because the DCM's don't go so low.
I figure if KLH can make something that nice, they'll, hopefully, do so again.
When did a 20lb speaker become heavy?:D

R

rak_32

Banned
highfihoney said:
magnavox is good? aww man! i just missed out on getting a whole 6.1 speakers setup for 80.00. but they were used and looked like in preaty cruddy condition. so you think changing a receiver wont help change the sound of my speakers? i mean my receiver is 10 yrs old right now, im sure they've made some improvements in receiver technology during the last 10 yrs.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
rak_32 said:
magnavox is good? aww man! i just missed out on getting a whole 6.1 speakers setup for 80.00. but they were used and looked like in preaty cruddy condition. so you think changing a receiver wont help change the sound of my speakers? i mean my receiver is 10 yrs old right now, im sure they've made some improvements in receiver technology during the last 10 yrs.
If you're actively looking, you might consider letting us know what your budget is, what your listening type is (% music vs. % movies) and how big the room is. Mainly budget, though...I'm sure people can point you towards some excellent offerings in your price range.

R

rak_32

Banned
gellor said:
If you're actively looking, you might consider letting us know what your budget is, what your listening type is (% music vs. % movies) and how big the room is. Mainly budget, though...I'm sure people can point you towards some excellent offerings in your price range.
i dont listen to much music thru my home theater speakers. Usally listening music thru my laptops altec lansing speakers are good enough for me. Its basically 100% movies for my speakers. The room is just a average size living room. Not too big but not too small either. do you know if these brands are any good.

Polk
KLH
Harman Kardon
B&W
Altec Lansing

S

simpleHT

Audioholic Intern
highfihoney said:
You've got to be careful on these speakers. I was told most models inject a lot of noise when playing.

R

rak_32

Banned
do you guys know what brand speakers Theaters use? as in Centry Theaters or Brenden Theaters? Real theaters. think they use Bose?

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
JoeE SP9 said:
When did a 20lb speaker become heavy?:D
True. I meant more of a weight-to-size ratio. Like looking at a bar of gold, thinking that it's not that heavy... until you lift it up.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
rak_32 said:
i dont listen to much music thru my home theater speakers. Usally listening music thru my laptops altec lansing speakers are good enough for me. Its basically 100% movies for my speakers. The room is just a average size living room. Not too big but not too small either. do you know if these brands are any good.

Polk
KLH
Harman Kardon
B&W
Altec Lansing
You are kidding? Serious listening through almost speakers in your laptop!:D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
this has GOT to be one of the best trolls I've read in a while.

rak_32 said:
do you guys know what brand speakers Theaters use? as in Centry Theaters or Brenden Theaters? Real theaters. think they use Bose?
Kudos to you! :D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
markw said:
Kudos to you! :D
.....well, MarkW, I'm gonna' step out on a limb and say Rak is a pro....ya' gotta' admit though, you read every word.....

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I don't think he was saying Bose is the most common theatre speaker, I think he was asking. If you are asking rak, then no, Bose isn't in too many movie theatres. You'd need dozens of those little cubes, even the really expesive little cubes, to fill a movie theatre.

The most common manufacturer I've seen in theatres is JBL. That said I've owned JBL consumer products (entry level only) and really found them sub-par. That's just my opinion, many of my friends liked my JBL setup. I actually bought my JBL speakers because they were the Movie Theatre brand. The coolest home theatre I've ever seen had speakers by M&K. Awesome setup and run off an older JVC receiver. (knock JVC all you want this thing was a tank).

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Takeereasy said:
If you are asking rak, then no, Bose isn't in to many movie theatres. You'd need dozens of those little cubes, even the really expesive little cubes, to fill a movie theatre.
Heck, you could fill the entire theatre with those little cubes and it'll still sound like drek.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've figured it out. Rak is either Jaxvon or MacMan playing a dirty trick on the site. He really had us going. Watch him keep going...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis