Best Sealed Sub for HT/Music Combo

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
I have narrowed it down to a few, 75% HT and 25% Music. I have a large room, 28'x21' with 9' ceiling, and the room opens up to a 12' wide hallway. any opinions on the following 3, I will start with one for now, and may expand to two in the future:

HSU ULS-15
SVS SB-12NSD (Can go duals to start)
Rythmik F15HP

Just for reference, I am very limited on space. Largest dimensions I can use, are 20.5"H x 19"W x 23"D. I realize ported is best for my space to hit good SPL levels, but my limited space puts me out of most of those. I want to stick to sealed here, so any input you guys have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
What are your goals concerning movies and music? How loud will you listen? Do you want complete envelopment and room pressurization?

For that sized room I wouldn't get the F15HP, as it likely won't fill or pressurize the space. In fact, I doubt any single sealed subwoofer will. You'll need at least two, maybe three or four. My room is about 5000 cu. ft. and two 15" sealed subwoofers is passable but three is much better. Your space is even larger, so...

I'd go dual F15's or start with a Seaton Submersive HP. Funky Waves (Funk Audio) also has some great offerings.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
With a room that big, I would definitely go with duals, so my vote from what's on your list is the SVS.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I'd pass on the SVS & go with a TC-Sounds LMS 5400 18" in a sealed enclosure. You could easily build one out of MDF or if you don't have the tools, have one made by FunkAudio or have a local cabinet maker build one to spec.

Otherwise you need dual of any of the 3 you mentioned.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'd pass on the SVS & go with a TC-Sounds LMS 5400 18" in a sealed enclosure. You could easily build one out of MDF or if you don't have the tools, have one made by FunkAudio or have a local cabinet maker build one to spec.

Otherwise you need dual of any of the 3 you mentioned.
You must have missed the part about his space requirements... don't think that will fit where he wants it. Plus SVS just put up on their site a deal on dual SB12 NSD models making it an even better deal.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/dual-sb12-nsd?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=210&category_id=1

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
I like good strong clean bass, not sure I need it to pressurize the room, I would like to do that, but not interested in spending $5k in subs to do it.

My thought was this, install either a HSU ULS-15 or Rythmik F15HP now, and within the next year, buy one more. That would be more managable for the budget.

I like some of the other offerings, but some are slightly out of my price range. Atleast this way I can start with one sub, and later enhance it with another.

Any opinions are experience with either of the two subs mentioned?

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
You must have missed the part about his space requirements... don't think that will fit where he wants it. Plus SVS just put up on their site a deal on dual SB12 NSD models making it an even better deal.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/dual-sb12-nsd?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=210&category_id=1
I saw this very thing this morning, and thought about pulling the trigger on these two, hoping it would be enough bass for my space. Its a good deal, and within my current budget.

With that being said, is there going to be a major noticable difference between these duals SVS's and having dual HSU or Rythmik 15's"?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw this very thing this morning, and thought about pulling the trigger on these two, hoping it would be enough bass for my space. Its a good deal, and within my current budget.

With that being said, is there going to be a major noticable difference between these duals SVS's and having dual HSU or Rythmik 15's"?
Dual subs placed at same spot would produce +6db or across the room (on opposite walls) would gain +3db, but help neutralize bass room mode (cancellations)

Now dual ULS-15 > Dual SB12-NSD, but Dual SB12-NSD > single ULS15 or single F15 subs

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My room is larger than that. The SVS will be able to handle it, but I'd say a Plus would be a better choice. I think the PB-12 is going to give up a little in output compared to the either of the 15s though.

That room isn't that huge, it is about the same size as mine except I have high vaulted ceilings. My Empire is plenty for it and it is sealed.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like good strong clean bass, not sure I need it to pressurize the room, I would like to do that, but not interested in spending $5k in subs to do it.
Just out of curiosity, how does your Canton sub sound in this room?

My family room is smaller (18' x 20' x 10'). I have a cheapo $270 BIC PL-200 12"/150watts sub. It can shake the walls like an earthquake.

Of course, I'm not recommending this cheap sub.:eek::D

But I would think any of these Rythmik/ SVS/ HSU/ Epik dual subs would be quite plenty in your room.

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
JGarcia - I like the Emprie, and it will fit in my space, but I need something front firing

AcuDef - My Canton sounds awful, I have had the amp replaced already once, and to be honest it never really has impressed me. I have the full LE Series of canton towers, and bookshelfs, and they sound great, I still have them being used in the garage (overkill fancy but hey they were left over!), but subs are not their specialty. I can say, they have the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

Im sort of leaning on the dual SVS subs, with their new deal and free shipping, I am sure it should sound good based on the comparisans you guys have given.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
JGarcia - I like the Emprie, and it will fit in my space, but I need something front firing

AcuDef - My Canton sounds awful, I have had the amp replaced already once, and to be honest it never really has impressed me. I have the full LE Series of canton towers, and bookshelfs, and they sound great, I still have them being used in the garage (overkill fancy but hey they were left over!), but subs are not their specialty. I can say, they have the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

Im sort of leaning on the dual SVS subs, with their new deal and free shipping, I am sure it should sound good based on the comparisans you guys have given.
It's a win, win, win, win situation.

You can't lose with any of those subs.

If this were a multiple test, the answer would be E) All of the above.:D

I think dual SVS would kick serious a$$.:D

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If you want 2 lesser subs right away then get the NSDs. But if you want better bass in the long run then I'd get a single ULS-15 or F15 & get a second when you can.

I've heard a single ULS-15 & a dual ULS-15 setup. Both were awesome!! Of course the dual setup was better but even the single ULS blew me away.

I still think that a Quad ULS-15 setup would be one of my all time sub systems. That or an I.B Manifold with 4-18" FI drivers...mmmm ok sorry back to topic!! :)

So I forget what the recommended enclosure dimensions are for the TC LMS5400 18". So if that's not a viable option for your space then I'd shoot for dual 15" (HSU/Rythmik).

I'd be worried you'd get the dual 12"s & later wish you held out for dual 15"s with that large of a space.

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
If you want 2 lesser subs right away then get the NSDs. But if you want better bass in the long run then I'd get a single ULS-15 or F15 & get a second when you can.

I've heard a single ULS-15 & a dual ULS-15 setup. Both were awesome!! Of course the dual setup was better but even the single ULS blew me away.

I still think that a Quad ULS-15 setup would be one of my all time sub systems. That or an I.B Manifold with 4-18" FI drivers...mmmm ok sorry back to topic!! :)

So I forget what the recommended enclosure dimensions are for the TC LMS5400 18". So if that's not a viable option for your space then I'd shoot for dual 15" (HSU/Rythmik).

I'd be worried you'd get the dual 12"s & later wish you held out for dual 15"s with that large of a space.
So you see my dilemma now lol. The dual 12's are better now than a single HSU/Rythmik, and the SVS are on sale now for the same cost as a single 15. I realize the future would be better with dual 15's. but I could always go quad SVS 12's for roughly the same cost...........

My wife is gonna hate me

Choices Choices Choices

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Going to the SVSs from what you have now, I don't think you would consider getting quads anytime soon, in fact I'm sure you would be so blown away you won't want anything else and you will wonder what took you so long to upgrade to begin with.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd get a single plus and then add a second if you felt you needed it. Not sure about the current DSP models, but the previous Plus was nearly as much gain as dual NSDs, cost less than duals and is obviously less floor space. As I already said, a single NSD will already handle that room. Basically, if you want to look at it that way, one NSD is probably already as potent as 2-3 of your current sub...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
3 cu ft NET is the proper box size for the LMS, which will keep excursion in check.... One of those with a EP4000/EP2500 will supply ample amount of output... A pair will be fantastic.... Looking at a $2K investment though.... Def a fun project with great results...

Is SVS no longer offering the SB13, not on their website...

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
3 cu ft NET is the proper box size for the LMS, which will keep excursion in check.... One of those with a EP4000/EP2500 will supply ample amount of output... A pair will be fantastic.... Looking at a $2K investment though.... Def a fun project with great results...

Is SVS no longer offering the SB13, not on their website...
I noticed that too that their sealed 13" sub the SB13 was on their website last week, but not any longer. Wonder if it has anything to do with the sale on the dual 12's.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Having heard the ULS-15 in person it's hard for me to recommend the 12" SVS. Not that the SVSs wouldn't be great but 15" just have that extra something for home theater. The dual 12"s would be excellent for music & good for movies, but the 15" would be excellent for both & that is what the OP is looking for. The XBL<2 driver is pretty incredible in the ULS. Extremely linear throughout its XMAX. Low Q & super musical. A cant loose IMO.

I'm sure your wife would love 4 subs! :) LOL

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
As an owner of 2x SB12-NSD subs, I have to recommend that you start with at least 2 of them and potentially budget for two more depending on your bass appetite. They ARE great sounding subs but output is definitely not their specialty. Because your listening priorities include 75% HT, I feel that you will be disappointed in the performance of one unit.

My living room is 13x13x8 with a door-size opening into a 12' long hallway leading to the kitchen. I started off with one SB12-NSD and found that it had nowhere enough headroom for modern bass-heavy movies. For example, the limiter circuit was being activated almost continuously while watching sction scenes in Iron Man 2 at moderate listening levels.

Since I have added a second unit, headroom has been noticeably improved. Both are stacked in the corner opposite the listening position. The subs can now handle virtually any music source with aplomb at all listening levels (10dB+ headroom at 95dB mains output) while the limiter circuits remain inactive during all but the most intense movie scenes.

I should add that I am not a bass-head so to speak and purchased these subs for accuracy over output. With that in mind, some of the best-sounding systems I've ever heard (both consumer and pro) were the ones with gobs of headroom that handled dynamics with control and ease. In a large room such as the OPs, I think that 4 of the SN12-NSD subs would be ideal for reference level output and dynamics. Two would probably sound good for music and movies at lower output levels, but OP ideally wants the most power and radiating area he can fit within his space constraints.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis