Best Receiver under $600

V

vinisol

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to buy a receiver and I like to know which one is the best under USD 600.00

Till now I got these options:

Onkyo TX-NR609
Yamaha RX-V671
Pioneer VSX-1021

I'm going to buy 5 speakers NHT Absolute Zero (front, rear and center) and Epik or Emotiva subwoofer.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I think the best deal going right now is the Denon AVR-891 (basically same as AVR-2311) for $399 from 6Ave Electronics...

It easily beats the options you mentioned in terms of power, except for possibly the Onkyo... it tests out at 126.3 watts x 2 and 83.3 watts x 5 channels (at 0.1% distortion)...
http://www.hometheater.com/content/denon-avr-2311ci-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

For comparison... the Pioneer VSX-1120 was 114.7 watts x 2 and only 47 watts x 5... and the VSX-1020 probably has a weaker amp section... and I would think is comparably to the 1021...
http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-vsx-1120-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

The Onkyo TX-SR608 tested well at 129.6 watts x 2 and 82.3 watts x 5... So unless the new SR609 has a weaker amp section, it should perform well..
http://www.hometheater.com/content/onkyo-tx-sr608-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Still, the Denon has Audyssey MultiEQ instead of just 2EQ like the Onkyo... so that's an added bonus... and it supposedly has a slick GUI...

I'd say get skip the brand new models and grab last year's Denon 891 for a great price...

jinjuku

jinjuku

I would look for pre-outs in whatever you purchase.

Look at the Onkyo TX-NR708. You can get them refurbed for $500.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Both the Maranzt SR5005 and Onkyo NR708 would be good options too...

Both have preouts and MultiEQ... Onkyo has 2 sub outs which is nice...

Marantz doesn't have a GUI, just text overlay over HDMI....

Refurb Marantz SR5005 can be had for $399 + shipping...

Last edited:
V

vinisol

Audioholic Intern
I have a doubt.

What is the purpose for Amp and Pre-pro?

What are the benefits I'll have buying these equipments?

What's the difference if I have just a Receiver?

Can anyone help me?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have a doubt.

What is the purpose for Amp and Pre-pro?
Flexibility mainly. Often better component build but more expensive.

What are the benefits I'll have buying these equipments?
For me it's my Adcom 5503 amp that will easily power 99% of the speakers available on the market.

What's the difference if I have just a Receiver?

Can anyone help me?
Depends. For a lot of people there may not be a difference with a true quality receiver. It's a point of diminishing returns in some scenarios.

V

vinisol

Audioholic Intern
Could you send me some articles about this subject?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most of the time, you will never need an external amplifier.

Although I have plenty of external amps, I have never really needed one.

Requirement for external amps depend on 3 things:

1) room size
2) speaker sensitivity/resistance
3) volume

My room size is not very large. My HT room is 14' x 17' x 15' ceiling. My Family room is 18' x 20' x 10' ceiling.

I can tell you that my brother now has my old NHT SuperZero + SW2P sub. He also has my old Harman Kardon (HK) 50 watts per ch (WPC) AVR. He does not use an external amp at all. His family room is 20' x 20' x 12' ceiling. He can play movies in 5.1 at reference volume 90dBA from his seat just fine. No clipping whatsoever and the 50WPC HK AVR never goes into circuit protection mode.

So a Denon AVR (or comparable) with 100WPC or more should be just fine.

Unless your room is very large and you play louder than 90dBA.

But it's always nice to have ext amp outputs, even if you never need it.:D

In other words, if you have the chance to have ext amp outputs for the same price/feature/reliability, etc., why not?:D

A

Army Al

Audiophyte
The Onkyo TX NR609 is a great Mid Level AV Receiver for my purposes. I have absolutely no need for Airplay or pre-outs for external amp connections. I needed the NR609 in powering my 2 sub woofers, bi-amping my front Klipsch F3 speakers in my 5.2 system, connecting my PC via the VGA port, a much needed wireless USB (UWF-1) adapter for streaming for less than $30, and last but not least, a 4K upgrade video chip. This will be required when the newer HD 4K TVs start arriving at the end of the year. Receiver, adapter and sales tax less than $400US. It met my purpose on a Grand Scale. There's nothing like listening to Petrula Kupper - Once Upon a Time in the West on You Tube (3:24) at 75% of volume. I double dare you. Life is good and my closest neighbor lives 2 acres away. Perhaps I should turn it up to 85% of volume.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis