Best place to buy Marantz - online or local?

R

RussellS

Enthusiast
I am considering buying a Marantz 7705. The price seems to be the same, whether in store or online. Is there room to negotiate a lower price anywhere for a new unit? I think I know the answer, but had to ask anyway.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You've found a more recent and ugly trend. Most online sellers no longer offer discount prices.

Accessoriesr4less is a good option for buying. They don't usually sell new, but do sell factory refurbished items with warranty. As an example, look at a Denon AVR-X3400H for $450 instead of $1000 for new at retail price. Its a Denon Factory Refurb and comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

I did see various Marantz models for sale, but not the 7705. You seem to be familiar with different models and features that interest you. Look and see what may work for you. Personally, I would accept equivalent models from Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha. A4L's prices are very good, and they have a good reputation as a seller.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am considering buying a Marantz 7705. The price seems to be the same, whether in store or online. Is there room to negotiate a lower price anywhere for a new unit? I think I know the answer, but had to ask anyway.
Price...most authorized dealers are going to hold firm on the advertised price for sure, but once the new model transition starts they will move on the older model. If you're buying several items maybe you can negotiate a small break.

With Marantz, the new incoming model will have a few minor changes making the out going model a much better bargain. I bought my 7702 mk2 when the 7703 was just hitting the shelves....the brick and mortar matched the online discounted price that Outlaw had at the time. Unless you just want the 7705, I'd look into the 7704. I think Outlaw had one for $1700 or so.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
You've found a more recent and ugly trend. Most online sellers no longer offer discount prices.

Accessoriesr4less is a good option for buying. They don't usually sell new, but do sell factory refurbished items with warranty. As an example, look at a Denon AVR-X3400H for $450 instead of $1000 for new at retail price. Its a Denon Factory Refurb and comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

I did see various Marantz models for sale, but not the 7705. You seem to be familiar with different models and features that interest you. Look and see what may work for you. Personally, I would accept equivalent models from Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha. A4L's prices are very good, and they have a good reputation as a seller.
Totally agree Accessories4Less has great prices...
However check carefully their return freight policy, in certain instances the buyer must pay so any $ savings may be lost..

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know the temptation to go separate, been there, done that myself twice (AV7005 and AV8801). That being said, if you don't need the IMAX enhanced feature, balanced connections and 7.1 analog inputs, the Denon AVR-X4400H is still available for $799, brand new and will do the same for you when used as a prepro, but of course only in a DBT comparison.

As above, but if you believe you can hear the HDAM difference (I cannot) and that it is noticeably better, then you may want to consider the SR7012 that is still available for around $1200 brand new.

In either case, set Eco to "On", because you are going to use external amp anyway, you can just pretend the SR7012/AVR-X4400H are AV7704.

If you need the IMAX feature, then I suggest you wait a few months for the SR7013 to be on blow out sale, if history repeats itself (based on the price trend of the SR7012),between October 2019 and Jan 2020, the SR7013 should hit $999 (the SR7012 did).

I just don't see any other reason to go for the AV7703/04/05, they have the same parts and circuitry, except for the balanced connections and less jam-packed obviously, but the cleaner layout did not translate into any measurable benefits based on bench test results of their pass prepros vs AVRs.

2channel lover

I know the temptation to go separate, been there, done that myself twice (AV7005 and AV8801). That being said, if you don't need the IMAX enhanced feature, balanced connections and 7.1 analog inputs, the Denon AVR-X4400H is still available for $799, brand new and will do the same for you when used as a prepro, but of course only in a DBT comparison.

As above, but if you believe you can hear the HDAM difference (I cannot) and that it is noticeably better, then you may want to consider the SR7012 that is still available for around $1200 brand new.

In either case, set Eco to "On", because you are going to use external amp anyway, you can just pretend the SR7012/AVR-X4400H are AV7704.

If you need the IMAX feature, then I suggest you wait a few months for the SR7013 to be on blow out sale, if history repeats itself (based on the price trend of the SR7012),between October 2019 and Jan 2020, the SR7013 should hit $999 (the SR7012 did).

I just don't see any other reason to go for the AV7703/04/05, they have the same parts and circuitry, except for the balanced connections and less jam-packed obviously, but the cleaner layout did not translate into any measurable benefits based on bench test results of their pass prepros vs AVRs.
Yeah, even if I bought the AVR, give me the heat generating amps in a separate box every time.

2channel lover

Does your Marantz pre-pro stay cool or does it get kind of hot?
After playing for several hours, it's still fairly lukewarm to the touch. Whereas my good buddy has a brand new AV6013 powering his 5.1.2 system and within an hour, it's beyond warm to the touch.

R

RussellS

Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I am running a relatively simple stereo setup now and converting to home theater. At my age, hearing is less acute anyway so I will research your recommendations. I ask questions here since most high-end shops tend to promote the most expensive components.

I will start with a center channel, then branch out to surround in the next few months. Starting with Magnepan 3.7s, a pair of JL audio F110 subs and an Audio Research DS-450 amp. Expecting to add a new preamp (Just sold Audio Research LS27), a Magnepan CC5 and maybe a Crown 1102 to get things rolling. Looking forward to making a move to home theater.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After playing for several hours, it's still fairly lukewarm to the touch. Whereas my good buddy has a brand new AV6013 powering his 5.1.2 system and within an hour, it's beyond warm to the touch.
You mean SR6013 AVR.

But the SR7013 is comparable to the AV77xx series pre-pro. I wonder if the SR7013 has the same heat Production as the AV7705.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There could also be restocking fees if not returning under the free return terms. They're just not the kind of outfit you buy something from and return because you didn't like it....that will cost you.

Totally agree Accessories4Less has great prices...
However check carefully their return freight policy, in certain instances the buyer must pay so any $ savings may be lost..

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Whatever happened to your separates? :D
Sold the AV7005 when I bought the AV8801. Kept the AV8801 for the 2 channel system (the one with the LS50+Sub) when I replaced it with the AVR-X4400H for the HT system.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean SR6013 AVR.

But the SR7013 is comparable to the AV77xx series pre-pro. I wonder if the SR7013 has the same heat Production as the AV7705.
It will produce more because of the bias current for the 9 power amps, that's why I suggested RussellS to set eco mode to "On" since he won't be using the internal amps. Eco mode "On" should be almost as good as the preamp mode because of the reduced bias currents/rail voltage. Beyond that, there is nothing that even one single 80 mm AC infinity fan cannot fix. IIRC you are the one who first recommended those quiet fans, and that could arguable be your best recommendation ever made.:D:D

2channel lover

You mean SR6013 AVR.

Yep, whatever the new 6 series Marantz AVR is. His Pioneer AVR was fine, just lacking power for his Atmos...I told him to get a 2 ch or 4 ch power amp and be done with it, but...his money.

I'd doubt it with the amps running. Hasn't been many, but every AVR I've owned ran fairly hot after playing for a while.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The one that matches the Marantz well aesthetically are the Aircom fan series...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Lovin’, I have the Denon 4500. Would your recommendation be the same?
It doesn't quite match up to the aesthetic but would still look good I'd think. Or you can use more basic fan setups...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis