Best male singing voice ever...who has it?!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I can't believe I forgot Harry Connick Jr.

I grew up in New Orleans, where he is obviously a legend. I just picked up Come By Me and his latest Christmas album (both of which are fantastic).

I can't think of anyone who has put out such excellent records in a range of genres as varied as Connick. Phenomenal voice.. at least as good as Sinatra in his younger days.

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
I have to agree with Steve Perry, I'm afraid. Anyone who's singing voice is actually referred to as "The Voice" with capital letters deserves mention.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I know it's cheeeeesy, but Gino Vanelli has to rank way up there.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Geno said:
I threw Tom Waits in there as a JOKE...(Humor?) God, this guy has the Worst voice in music (except possibly Rob Zombie) , but I still love his style.

Seriously, though, this subject takes in so much territory I can't imagine any two people having the same opinion. Tastes vary too much to nail down any kind of consensus.;)
Sorry Geno, I only said that because some of the choices are so bad Hellen Keller would think they can't sing.:D

phenomejon

Audiophyte
i can't freaking believe that i havent seen this name on here more: CHRIS "THE GOD OF THE ROCK VOICE" CORNELL!!!! Henry Rollins put it best when he said that "Chris Cornell had a voice that could peel the paint off walls" If you're still a non-believer go listen to the song Slaves and Bulldozers by Soundgarden.......right now

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
phenomejon said:
i can't freaking believe that i havent seen this name on here more: CHRIS "THE GOD OF THE ROCK VOICE" CORNELL!!!! Henry Rollins put it best when he said that "Chris Cornell had a voice that could peel the paint off walls" If you're still a non-believer go listen to the song Slaves and Bulldozers by Soundgarden.......right now
I'd definitely put Chris Cornell near the top of the list, especially in his short "Temple of the Dog" stint, but I have to give the nod to Freddy Mercury. The man could reach some amazing non-falsetto highs.

D

Dr. Righteous

Audiophyte
Since this post is focusing mostly on rock voices, there has been one left out as far as I can tell
Ronnie James Dio. Don't believe me?
Listen to the track "Angle Eyes" from the days when he was with Rainbow. It will blow you away.
I am a big YES fan, so a mention for Jon Anderson has to be there.
It was very cool when Jon popped in to the studio when 4Him was recording the Streams album, and sang backup for them. Too cool.

OK, the best mail voice of today in my opinion has to be Andrea Bocelli.
He has a power and range in his voice that few can match.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but I feel that asking who is the best male singer, and then answering with rock stars is like asking who the best violinist is and answering with Charley Daniels.

Pavorotti is believed to be the finest voice since Carusoe. I don't like opera, so I think the finest male voice is Bing Crosby.

I have always thought that Paul Rodgers had the best voice for rock. Fun Thread.

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
David Byron--Uriah Heep lead singer, outstanding control and range

David Bowie--listen to "sorrow" from "Pinups", anything on "diamond dogs" and "young americans", heck, "station to station" as well

Ian Gillan--"highway star", "rat bat blue", "place in line", listen to these! NOT TO MENTION "jesus christ superstar"

T

tjlmbklr

Junior Audioholic
Rob Thomas

Rob Thomas, Santana chose him one of his songs because he puts his heart into his singing.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Kurt Elling,, check out his CD The Messenger, I bet you'll be blown away.:cool:

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Rock
Chris Cornell - Melancholy, edgy, gritty.

R&B
D'Angelo - Like cognac poured into a velvet glass.

sleeper

sleeper

Audioholic Intern
ahem...

annunaki said:
I see what some deem as rock others would classify as "easy listening". :) I would say my vote(s) go for Freddie Mercury because of his range, Maynard James Keenan from Tool for range/uniqueness, and Brandon Boyd from Incubus, just great all around talent (vocally).

I see Mr. Babcock is sticking to his "heavy" roots with his vote for Halford from Judas Priest. :D :p

Yes. I totally agree with M.J.K from Tool and B.B. from Incubus. Two very unique voices that really speak to me. Umm... no pun intended. If I may, I'd like to add the talent of Mr. Geddy Lee from Rush to the list of vocalists. Don't need much explainin' for that one.

sleeper

jlcct

jlcct

Junior Audioholic
Chris Cornell all day.

I admit this may not be the most educated response since I haven't finished listening to every singer in the world yet but I think I'm right.

We should have a poll atop this page and break it down by voter age bracket and finally the winers from each of the two genres could be compared without all the other random names in there. I'd be realy interested to see the outcome.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
Morrison

Jim, not Van. I'm amazed he hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm amazed Steve Perry has.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis