Best male singing voice ever...who has it?!

X

xraydude

Audiophyte
Krazykaj said:
Totally agree, I’m surprised he hasn't been mentioned more often.

Roy Orbison hardly has to open his mouth and there is rich sound pouring out.
I like to compare him to the annoying Bruce Springsteen in Black and White night :) (no offence to Bruce fans)

Others that have already been mentioned here like Elvis, Freddy, Frank S. etc., all have great voices too, much better ‘male’ singers today, in 2005.

I also like male vocalists like Andrea Bocelli, but he isn’t exactly Rock&Roll or R&B :)

Cheers
KJ
I am a fan of both those guys also. I own everything Andrea Bocelli has recorded. I've seen him live four times and it seems like the guy has no limits, unbelievable talent! The greatest voice around today IMO.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
Ok, Im going to say for Rock/Metal

1. Bruce Dickinson
2.Ronny James Dio/Rob Halford
3.David Lee Roth
4.Ian Gillian

In general:

1.james Taylor
2.Roy Orbison
3.Elton John
4. and many many more.

R

Red

Audioholic
20to20K said:
...but Micheal Jackson is a VERY skilled vocalist. I'm not crazy about
a lot of his music, but I can't deny his vocal talent. Others I enjoy
listening to are Peter Gabriel, Micheal McDonald, the lead singer of
Simply Red who's name escapes me, Hamish Stuart (AWB) and Philip
Bailey (EWF).

I'm not listing dead guys...dead guys can't sing!

The lead singer of Simply Red is Mick Hucknell. Another great voice I've not seen on the post is Burton Cummings. Also, Glenn Shorrock of the Little River Band could really sing

D

Doofos

Audiophyte
Best Singing Voice

Humbly, Vince Gill, Bocelli, Josh Grogan, Celine Dion, Shania, Steve Lawerence (and Eydie Gorme ), Gladys Knight (without the Pips), and for range Roy Orbison... many more, but hard to rate.
Yes I'm Old!

D

debbie4044

Audiophyte
Best Male Singing Voice Ever

Roy Orbison -Hands Down Winner- He could take an otherwise average song and take it completely to another level, by just singing.

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
eh.. i gotta be the ***** and you all can disagree all you want, but i gotta say Usher. The dude can just hold a tune so well and has great range.

Another person i have to mention for KOOL points though. Sinatra. The guy would be up on stage, smoke a cigarette, drink some liquer, then get into his song right after. And realize, they didn't voice over those days. Gotta give respect to that.

L

lynn2c

Audioholic Intern
Jon Anderson of Yes has one of the puriest voices I've ever heard live...he steals the show.
Also would have to put in a vote for Greg Lake especially in the King Crimson years.
Gino Vannelli also gets my vote, for voice though, not style of music

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
The guy that use to be in Wam{or what ever it was}. The guy that got caught wacking the hotdog. He's got a hell of a good voice but doesnt have a clue how to get good stuff to use it.

D

DISCMAN

Audioholic Intern
Roger Daltry

Ummmhhhhh. I love the Who, but Roger has no range.

Have you ever heard Roger's "Don't Let The Sun Go down On Me" from the LOST BOYS soundtrack? I like it better then Elton's.

I also love Van's "Comfortably Numb" from the WALL-LIB where he is backed by members of THE BAND. However, one of my co-workers used to listen to a Van album with a song where he sings "doot dooty doot" over & over & I absolutely hated this so I've never given his albums much of a chance.

Geoff Tate is my personal favorite. Range & power to spare. Have any of you other metalheads remember HEAR 'N AID? It was the metal communities answer to "We are the World". The song is called "Stars". Dio, Rob, Geoff & a bunch of 80's metal guys. The long version had like a 5 minute guitar solo where one axe-man after another would take over. Neal Schon from Journey played guitar through out the song. This album was released on CD in Japan back in the early 90's.

Roy was one of a kind, although Chris Isaak comes close.
I really like Eddie Vedder's voice, just never liked his style much.
Little Richard is one of my Favorites from the 50's.

Robert Plant also will also be on a special perch (both for Led & his solo work).

Sorry, I haven't learned how to use the QUOTE OPTION properly.

As far as Hetfield is concerened, I also have to disagree. Metallica is my second favorite band. But I've never considred him a great singer. I guess compared to other "growlers" in similar bands he is great, but not when compared to the rest of music. Compare Queens "Stone Cold Crazy" to Metallica's to see what I mean.

Last edited:
D

debbie4044

Audiophyte
Best Male Singing Voice Ever

A close second to Roy Orbison is Raul Malo of the "Mavericks"

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Journey was, IMO, the cheesiest, sappiest band of the 80's, maybe of all time. I am laughing at the suggestion Steve Perry is the best male singer of all time. i really expected more for audio enthusiasts. Really can't beleive I just read that.

Are we talking rock? Folk? Country? How about Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Nat Cole...maybe not my favorite kind of music, but there is no denying their voices. Hell, I would even agree Josh Groban has an amazing voice even though I don't care for his music...it's like I think Whitney Houston has the greatest voice I have ever heard but i hate all her music. I can appreciate the talent.

Freddy Mercury had Queen to sing with him and they possibly have the best harmony of any rock band. He wasn't all that great on his own. I think I read Joe Elliott of Def Leppard was somebody's choice. You can not be serious. Def Leppard's harmony was mostly from Rick Savage just as Van Halen sounds good from Michael Anthony's high pitch and Eddie VH...

If we are talking favorites, that's a different story. My favorite frontman, and not saying he is the BEST, but MY favorite, was Bon Scott. I personally love his voice...AC/DC, although great with Brian Johnson, were that much better with Bon.

Some new guys I like are Canada's own Michael Buble, Usher, to name a few.

annunaki

annunaki

Upon listening to Josh Groban sing at the Grammys, I have a new found respect for him. That guy has an amazingly uncanny ability for accuracy in note and pitch changes. :eek: He did a duet with Beyonce' and made her sound like an amature with absolutely no range. I mean it was pathetic how badly he outclassed her. I could not believe how well he was able to change pitch with the shifts in the music. I am not a big fan of his music but he can SING.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I too saw the Beyonce and Josh Groban duet. I thought it was not very good and they were not a good match. Like they were singing in different keys.

I was more amazed at how fast Beyonce changed her outfit, hair etc in about 5 minutes from the previous time she was on stage. My girlfriend picked that out...Beyonce is the prettiest black girl I have ever seen. Period. She also is has one of the sweetest personalities, and at 20 years old seems years beyond her age in terms of class. However, her singing voice is nowhere near the level of Josh Groban. Better than most of the new crop of pop tarts though...

S

sambalis

Audiophyte
Ian Gillan :cool:
Ian Anderson :cool:
Robert Plant :)

ever heard David Surkamp? :confused:

R

Red

Audioholic
sambalis said:
Ian Gillan :cool: