Best low bass music recordings ...CD/DVDA... anyone?

J

jzac

Audioholic
Dan said:
Walter Booker is a long time jazz bassist certainly going back to the 50s if not longer. He has played with a significant nember of the major bebop front men, but until now has never led a group for his own album. I would tell you more but I just loaned it out today and don't have access to the full bio which is on the CD.
Dan, I did sample his music out on Amazon, and somehow I can't get into it. :eek: He does play some good classic jazz bass though. His tune of Chasing the Bird in this album is pretty good. I listen to a mix of contemperory and modern jazz mostly, but not classical. :)

J

jzac

Audioholic
WooHoo said:
Emerson, Lake and Palmer. "Lucky Man" has some of the lowest bass I have ever heard!
Yeah, this is a good one! Some good low notes. I love these guys... can Carl Palmer drum or what! :eek: Damn, he plays like a man possessed and there's no tomorrow... and talk about being tireless. He's probs one of the best drummers of all times.....ever!

R

revjb

Enthusiast
Whoever is checking out CDs to test the low end _REALLY_ need to at least sample Massive Attack's Mezzanine; it was used for years (since 1997 -- release date) by different mags as a reference disc for testing. Not only was it used for testing but it also was up for a grammy (I think) along with Radiohead's OK Computer (1997).

Oh and whatever you do, don't get any of their latest stuff. it's utter crap.

J

jzac

Audioholic
revjb said:
Whoever is checking out CDs to test the low end _REALLY_ need to at least sample Massive Attack's Mezzanine; it was used for years (since 1997 -- release date) by different mags as a reference disc for testing. Not only was it used for testing but it also was up for a grammy (I think) along with Radiohead's OK Computer (1997).

Oh and whatever you do, don't get any of their latest stuff. it's utter crap.
Oh yes... I had listened to a few of their songs before from this album like Angel (some serious low end bass!), Group Four, and Intertia creeps... but somehow I can't take too much of their music... very dark... similar to Morcheeba, and Portishead type of music... dunno what genre I would classify them to be under. :confused:

R

revjb

Enthusiast
jzac said:
Oh yes... I had listened to a few of their songs before from this album like Angel (some serious low end bass!), Group Four, and Intertia creeps... but somehow I can't take too much of their music... very dark... similar to Morcheeba, and Portishead type of music... dunno what genre I would classify them to be under. :confused:
Yeah -- Angel is a great song. Mezzanine definitely has a dark edge to it; I call it musical paranoia. :) Massive Attack would be categorized under drum&bass (formerly known as jungle)... and some would say that they were one of the forefathers of the genre.

L

Laz Baz

Audiophyte
Well, no rap for me for sure... no way sir! :) Yeah, I don't want to push any low bass for too long to mess my speakers up... Anyways, while researching the source for this type low bass music I came across this info that was found on some interview that Dr. Poh Ser Hsu was giving way back, which might be useful for others too..

Recommended CDs:
Bass Outlaws: Illegal Bass [Newtown NTN2210]. Track 12 features ultra-loud bass in the low to sub 20Hz range.
Enya: Watermark [Geffen 242332-3]. Track 10, "The Longships," features bass from 20Hz to the low 30s.
Hindemith: Organ Works [Argo 417 159-2]. Track 5 at 4:45 features a 19Hz note that is 6dB louder than the highest level anywhere else on the disc.
Mendelssohn: Organ Works [Argo 414 420-2]. Extremely loud 19Hz tones on track 8 -- proceed with caution!
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition [Dorian DOR 90117]. Tracks 5 and 15 feature the best bass.
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky [London 410 164-2]. 25Hz bass from the lowest-tuned conventionally-sized bass drum.
Reference Recordings HDCD Sampler[RR-S3CD]. Tracks 1 and 3 feature tight and gut-shaking drum strokes without overhang.
Respighi: Pines of Rome [London 410 145-2]. Track 4 at 1:22 and 2:29 features a pure 22Hz tone.
Saint-Saens: Organ Symphony [Philips 412 619-2]. Nine minutes into track 2 features deep bass down to16Hz.
Star Tracks II [Telarc CD80146]. Track 2 features extremely deep bass about one minute into the track.
Thom Rotella Band [DMP CD-650]. One minute into track 12 features a bass guitar solo that illustrates superb bass transients.
Jennifer Warnes: The Hunter [Private Music 01005-82089-2]. Tracks 8 and 9 feature loud, tight mid to low bass.
The Ruffatti Organ in Davis Symphony Hall [Telarc CD80097]. Tracks 1 and 11 feature sub-20Hz bass.

I haven't listened to any of these. It might be worth checking out a couple of them. Has anyone listened to any of these?
Do you know of any software that I can use to identify the low notes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

ifsixwasnin9

Junior Audioholic
"No Quarter" (Song Remains the Same) 1975 - Led Zeppelin; lots of very deep, loud, well-recorded organ.
Prelude to "Long Time" 1976 - Boston; Great organ and bass.
"Live in Japan" 1971 - Deep Purple. Lots of loud, great organ, again.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
The new CD by Lorde "Pure Heroine". Great CD with some strong bass lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
To get that low you are looking at synthesized music.

The lowest frequency on a drum kit is 50 Hz. Most pipe organs do not have 32 ft stops, the largest is 16 ft on most, that frequency is 34 Hz. A 32 ft stop is around 16 Hz. Even then 32 ft stops are rarely engaged. The only exception is as a foundation is quite a bit a few large scale British compositions from the late 19th and the 20th centuries. Those composers used 32 ft. stops as a gorgeous foundation in large scale choral works. At that time a lot of huge instruments with very large flu stops and huge fat reeds were built in the UK. The grand daddy of those is the "Voice of Jupiter" in the RAH.

If you want to hear something powerful and deep, you can hear the "Voice of Jupiter" providing the foundation here. This will give you something deep and powerful.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMG code doesn't work for youtube. Just copy and paste the embed txt from the video:

***I think something was broken there for a bit, as other videos weren't working either.

**** Edit 2 - Looks like Youtube was having some issues and that is now resolved.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
IMG code doesn't work for youtube. Just copy and paste the embed txt from the video:

***I think something was broken there for a bit, as other videos weren't working either.

**** Edit 2 - Looks like Youtube was having some issues and that is now resolved.
If the picture does not work. Here is the embed data.

)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
There is also a very deep bass passage at the start of "Also Spracht Zaratustra" ... better know as the starting theme music for Space Oddessy 2000.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah seems like youtube was having problems. I had to fill in a word to get access on youtube seems ok now.

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
Check out Cassandra Wilson's Closer To You...fantastic recording with some very musical very deep bass!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis