Best low bass music recordings ...CD/DVDA... anyone?

J

jzac

Audioholic
Do you know if I can get any good Jazz/Pop/Blues/Soul/New Age/Classic Rock music recordings that has some good low bass recordings... like in the 15-25Hz range, if there are any..... Any suggestions? :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I don't think you will find very much of what you are looking for. Probably your best bet would be new age or something that is synthesized.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
If you are looking for some music to test the low end extention of you're system you have a few options. In your local music store Best Buy or anywhere they should have bass cd's in the rap section under various titles such as Rap:Bass Assault and Monster Bass. Any good bass cd usually has sine sweeps which is a sloping frequency sweep 10hz-20,000hz. And if that doesn't wet your appetite for heavy bass then you can try some pipe organ music, which most definatly goes down to 10 or 15 hertz. Just remember that low frequenies of that level can damage your speakers if played at loud volumes. Happy Listening. :)
Greg

J

jzac

Audioholic
Found leads ...

Well, no rap for me for sure... no way sir! :) Yeah, I don't want to push any low bass for too long to mess my speakers up... Anyways, while researching the source for this type low bass music I came across this info that was found on some interview that Dr. Poh Ser Hsu was giving way back, which might be useful for others too..

Recommended CDs:
Bass Outlaws: Illegal Bass [Newtown NTN2210]. Track 12 features ultra-loud bass in the low to sub 20Hz range.
Enya: Watermark [Geffen 242332-3]. Track 10, "The Longships," features bass from 20Hz to the low 30s.
Hindemith: Organ Works [Argo 417 159-2]. Track 5 at 4:45 features a 19Hz note that is 6dB louder than the highest level anywhere else on the disc.
Mendelssohn: Organ Works [Argo 414 420-2]. Extremely loud 19Hz tones on track 8 -- proceed with caution!
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition [Dorian DOR 90117]. Tracks 5 and 15 feature the best bass.
Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky [London 410 164-2]. 25Hz bass from the lowest-tuned conventionally-sized bass drum.
Reference Recordings HDCD Sampler[RR-S3CD]. Tracks 1 and 3 feature tight and gut-shaking drum strokes without overhang.
Respighi: Pines of Rome [London 410 145-2]. Track 4 at 1:22 and 2:29 features a pure 22Hz tone.
Saint-Saens: Organ Symphony [Philips 412 619-2]. Nine minutes into track 2 features deep bass down to16Hz.
Star Tracks II [Telarc CD80146]. Track 2 features extremely deep bass about one minute into the track.
Thom Rotella Band [DMP CD-650]. One minute into track 12 features a bass guitar solo that illustrates superb bass transients.
Jennifer Warnes: The Hunter [Private Music 01005-82089-2]. Tracks 8 and 9 feature loud, tight mid to low bass.
The Ruffatti Organ in Davis Symphony Hall [Telarc CD80097]. Tracks 1 and 11 feature sub-20Hz bass.

I haven't listened to any of these. It might be worth checking out a couple of them. Has anyone listened to any of these?

Last edited by a moderator:

20to20K

Full Audioholic
If you like Jazz fusion...

"Bass Desires" by Marc Johnson on ECM records.
"The Sun Don't Lie" by Marcus Miller

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Walter Booker "Bookie's Cookbook" (Mapleshade) has excellent standup bass in a small jazz combo bebop style. I used the bass solo on track 5 to adjust my subwoofers' positioning and crossover frequency.

There is a recording of E. Power Biggs playing the Bach organ contatas on SACD (Sony Classical). This was recorded in the seventies originally as a quadrophonic record. It was recorded at the cathedral of Freiburg which has four organs which can all be played by one person from a central console. The time delay in the cathedral front to back was 6 seconds. This is the only recording I have that makes me wish I had FOUR subs since there is as much behind you as in front of you.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
jzac-

Have you ever heard of The Books? I was looking for some good low music too when I bought my SVS PB10-ISD. The Books is a duo from NY that is really hard describe...in fact, when you import their music in iTunes, it's the only album out of hundreds that I've imported that shows the genre as "unclassifiable." They take analog instruments, record them, then run it through computers and break up the sounds to rearrange them and create these incredible sounding textures that I guess you could call songs. It's good background music.

At any rate, on their album "Thought For Food" there's a song called "Read, Eat, Sleep" that goes really really low...and nice sweeping, sustained bass notes at about the :53 second mark. The opening of the song includes long, single-note plucking-style bass that is really good too...but the long sustained sweeping notes at that :53 second mark will definitely do the trick...they're nearly inaudible in my headphones b/c they're so low. But that passage shakes my walls at home. May be worth checking out. If you want, I could e-mail you the mp3 track and you could burn it to CD...quick way for you to get it rather than trying to hunt it down in a music store...their cd's are kinda hard to find.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I forgot to mention the DVD-A version of "Audio" by Blue Man Group. Yes it is a bit gimmicky. Track 10 has some incredibly deep bass. Also if you can find a copy of Harry Partch "Delusion of the Furies" there is some wild stuff on it. He designed all his own instruments as well as his own musical system. The "marimba eroica" is over 10 feet tall and is played with an enormous mallet that produces deep bass and probably has a subsonic fundamental note based on the vibrations I feel in my stomach. The vinyl version was best since it included a bonus disc with demonstrations of the individual instruments. Sadly, this is not on the CD version now available. This symphony is NOT for the faint of heart! If Muzak is easy listening, this clearly qualifies as difficult listening!

J

jzac

Audioholic
20to20K said:
"Bass Desires" by Marc Johnson on ECM records.
"The Sun Don't Lie" by Marcus Miller
I'll check it out... sample it on Amazon. Thx!

J

jzac

Audioholic
Dan said:
Walter Booker "Bookie's Cookbook" (Mapleshade) has excellent standup bass in a small jazz combo bebop style. I used the bass solo on track 5 to adjust my subwoofers' positioning and crossover frequency.

There is a recording of E. Power Biggs playing the Bach organ contatas on SACD (Sony Classical). This was recorded in the seventies originally as a quadrophonic record. It was recorded at the cathedral of Freiburg which has four organs which can all be played by one person from a central console. The time delay in the cathedral front to back was 6 seconds. This is the only recording I have that makes me wish I had FOUR subs since there is as much behind you as in front of you.
Never listened of Walter Booker... will check it out. Thx!

J

jzac

Audioholic
corysmith01 said:
jzac-

Have you ever heard of The Books? I was looking for some good low music too when I bought my SVS PB10-ISD. The Books is a duo from NY that is really hard describe...in fact, when you import their music in iTunes, it's the only album out of hundreds that I've imported that shows the genre as "unclassifiable." They take analog instruments, record them, then run it through computers and break up the sounds to rearrange them and create these incredible sounding textures that I guess you could call songs. It's good background music.

At any rate, on their album "Thought For Food" there's a song called "Read, Eat, Sleep" that goes really really low...and nice sweeping, sustained bass notes at about the :53 second mark. The opening of the song includes long, single-note plucking-style bass that is really good too...but the long sustained sweeping notes at that :53 second mark will definitely do the trick...they're nearly inaudible in my headphones b/c they're so low. But that passage shakes my walls at home. May be worth checking out. If you want, I could e-mail you the mp3 track and you could burn it to CD...quick way for you to get it rather than trying to hunt it down in a music store...their cd's are kinda hard to find.
hmmm.. interesting. No, I must confess that I never heard of the books... I'm always looking for new artists and music to listen to.. I'll check it out on the web somewhere... Thx!

J

jzac

Audioholic
Francious70 said:
Download anything you can by Pete Belasco off his album "Deeper". There's a reason it's called that. It's some good laid back kinda jazz.

Paul

*Edit* There's some really good suggestions in this thread.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=54562&PN=4

I did check out the link... some good names are mentioned there, and I do have a few of them.. I don't think the bass is that low for some of the ones suggested. I'll have to check this Pete Belasco out... will check online and give it a try. Thx!

20to20K

Full Audioholic
When you check it out...

jzac said:
I'll check it out... sample it on Amazon. Thx!
...check out my review(of the Bass Desires) on Amazon. I use the same
user name for my record reviews.

annunaki

annunaki

A Perfect Circle's, "Thirteenth Step" album "The Package" (Track 1)has some very low bass down near the 25hz range. Enya, Watermark has much low bass. Burt conrad All-Stars "A Soulful Jorney" has some good low bass for a Jazz cd on Track 5 I believe. 30hz ish. Tool's "Undertow" has a fair bit of low bass as well, nearly every song. Madonna's "Ray of Light" album has a few trcks with healthy low end. I will have to search for some more, I know there is...more. :)

20to20K

Full Audioholic
annunaki said:
A Perfect Circle's, "Thirteenth Step" album "The Package" (Track 1)has some very low bass down near the 25hz range. Enya, Watermark has much low bass. Burt conrad All-Stars "A Soulful Jorney" has some good low bass for a Jazz cd on Track 5 I believe. 30hz ish. Tool's "Undertow" has a fair bit of low bass as well, nearly every song. Madonna's "Ray of Light" album has a few trcks with healthy low end. I will have to search for some more, I know there is...more. :)
Yes...I've often admired Madonna's healthy low end myself! :D

Sorry...I had to "go there"...

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
jzac said:
Never listened of Walter Booker... will check it out. Thx!
Walter Booker is a long time jazz bassist certainly going back to the 50s if not longer. He has played with a significant nember of the major bebop front men, but until now has never led a group for his own album. I would tell you more but I just loaned it out today and don't have access to the full bio which is on the CD.

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Emerson, Lake and Palmer. "Lucky Man" has some of the lowest bass I have ever heard!

J

jzac

Audioholic
annunaki said:
I actually do have this album of Perfect Circle, which is nice. Yeah, I like the bass on the 1st track too which is cool, but want something deeeeeeeeper! :D Will sample out the others. Thx!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis