Best Female Vocalist Alive Today

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I Had a wicked crush on her when I was younger.. that milky white skin and her curly hair.. And her Talking voice was enough to put me in a high speed wobble .. And she is funny .. great woman all around
Possibly the reason I married a Bernadette.....

She sadly missed her opportunity to meet Sondheim as I was in the hospital after getting hit on my beloved Bimmer.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Nice! I love the sub-tones (that's not the proper term, but you will know what I mean) she picks up in her voice just after 50s! Also like the pace of the music/band as well - a wonderful song!
Do you know if it is available on iTunes (with better recording)?

I not disputing or challenging your post, but wanted to share this amazing girl!

There is a lot of talent out there and the internet along with the low cost of production allows people to "roll their own"!
This is a girl, Sydney Rhame, from the Atlanta area that is pretty much perfect by my ear!
I first heard her in Eddie's Attic in Atlanta when she was 16 (but apparently before she knew she would be on the Voice as it was not mentioned).
I cannot believe how she sings and plays with such maturity with her voice so exposed at her young age!
I hope the reason she is not a well known name is because her parents are making her finish school before she can pursue a music career.

Note: she has produced a lot of music and I had a hard time limiting it, but I will rank order the top 3:
1) Too Good at Goodbyes
2) Budapest
3) the linked Adele cover

She wrote and sings this song at 14 years old! (I'd put her at 26 from listening) - sorry the recording quality is not ideal:

This is her at 16 (in glasses) with her younger sister:

Another at 16 (for variety of style) (link to cover of Adele's Hello. skip to 45s if you want to avoid teenage angst/antics):
https://youtu.be/K-ZEh9x2Nq0

At 17 (forgive the recording, she saturates the mic a couple of times, otherwise it is good):

At 18 (the combination of the sad song and how well she "throws herself into the music" brings tears to my eyes!):

This is the song she auditioned on The Voice with (16):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHRljIHnLSI
This is my 2nd choice for female vocalist .. Be warned she is Odd but gifted Love her vocal range and the @#$%& what the rest of the world thinks attitude

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Hands down. . . . Babs. Just for sheer power over her entire vocal range. Also, for not sounding like some TV talent show trademark.

I don't really believe in a best vocalist.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Then there's always Roberta. Again, I don't get a best in everything, but there are some who can be the best for a moment.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Too many so I'll stop here with an angel. She plays a most excellent fiddle too.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Hands down. . . . Babs. Just for sheer power over her entire vocal range. Also, for not sounding like some TV talent show trademark.

I don't really believe in a best vocalist.
There is always that one female vocalist that you always go to when you need to lower your blood pressure and forget about the bullshit that raised your blood pressure. Then that one is your best. Barbra is another well rounded funny and gifted woman... but Rachel Price calms the monster in me every time . And is my Best .. Yes there is a lot of great out there .. We all have that One we reach for.. that's it and thank's for sharing

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just came across a new (to me) version by Rene Olstead of a classic:

Between the string bass intro, her voice (and timing!),and the nice sax work, this is a keeper for me and I wanted to share!
I don't know much about Rene Olstead, but a quick scan of her music on YouTube did not find much else that really moved me the way this one does!

Last edited:
W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
These two may be more regional treasures as they perform for Apollo’s Fire, but thought I would share:

1. Amanda Forsythe
2. Amanda Powell

I saw the latter Amanda perform at the end of last year. I was mesmerized by her vocal presence and versatility. Apollo’s Fire is touring the US and Europe, and if you like Baroque era music, would encourage you to catch a performance. Am very sure a recording does not do them justice. Given this, and the fact I have not heard the other Amanda or any of the other posted talent live, do not feel qualified to objectively rank them...

On the more contemporary music scene, I ran across Amy Lee on HDTracks and made me want to hear her live. I would also add Kate Bush and Laurie Anderson, but just because they get a nod from Peter Gabriel ;)!

Ww

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Her voice is fantastic, but this is also a truly great song and is now in my collection!
I found a high quality recording:

I think this is better, recording not as good, but it is too nice to watch her caress the notes (aside from cameraman taking about a minute to work out the focus)!

Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias=digital-music&field-keywords=lake+street+dive+musta+been+something&sprefix=lake+street+dive+must,digital-music,241&crid=19NJA8A22DVXX
She reminds me of this incredible vocalist:

Her CD is amazing:
https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Morgan-James/dp/B00MMOGFH4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_15_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D2M2BN1FM4C9YS5HSZZ9

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
These two may be more regional treasures as they perform for Apollo’s Fire, but thought I would share:

On the more contemporary music scene, I ran across Amy Lee on HDTracks and made me want to hear her live. I would also add Kate Bush and Laurie Anderson, but just because they get a nod from Peter Gabriel ;)!

I second Amy Lee - saw her during Evanescence's first album tour. Laurie Anderson is up there for me as well, but not for her vocal prowess (her early stuff was more "spoken word" than singing).

Kate Bush is the one for me...
1530635364328.png

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Tessa Violet is sooo dam cute and nice young voice

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree, there voices have much of the same character! I especially liked the way she grooved on "Lay Down Sally" (which I normally don't think of as a great song)!
Now we need to get her or Rachael Price to sing Melody Gardot's "Your Heart is as Black as Night"
Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love Melody Gardot's music, but she is the Paul Simon of female singers - she is always in total control and never pushes her limits and gets at the edge of her voice. That is what I love about both of these gals; they both will push their voice into the edge of control when they feel it, and this song needs that! Note that the sax does push things into an edgier sound - sax solo starts at 1:35 and there are a couple of spots right around 1:50 where he also uses a growl to give that extra something (although he is still a bit restrained).

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Ok there is some good stuff and thanks for the ones I did not know of . And I have added some to my list. But Rachel Price still is the one for me

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis