H

Hanko

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Can any one suggest a great DVD that will really show off a good home theater system? &nbsp;I have just installed a 6.1 Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver, DV-CP500 DVD player, and Sony 835EH speakers and am curious as to how good it is.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000000'>Here are my picks:

Surrounds &amp; Panning: Star Wars Episode 1 pod race scene, Saving Private Ryan DTS

Subwoofer: Jurassic Park 3, U-571

Mains: Sting's new DTS audio disc, The Negotiator, Gladiator DTS ES, Air Force One (SuperBit DTS)

That'll give 'em a good workout, and these discs are worth having.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
Contact &nbsp;&quot;Lift Off chapter&quot; &nbsp;If you want big time dynamic swings &nbsp;Loud/Soft/Loud

Dinosaur &nbsp;Chapter #1 the Egg and the Monkeys
to show off your monitors ability to display detail

Phantom Menace has great sound effects but the edge
enhancement is terrible for high end displays

Cheers Ray</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Terminator 2 - great SFX.
Agree with Star Wars for pod race scene.
LOTR for excellent music soundtrack

Boyz II Men: II - awesome vocals to test your full range system.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Behind Enemy Lines,pretty much the entire move.I put it on to listen to &quot;the missile tracking the jet&quot; scene to try out my new Rotel pre/pro &amp; amps and ended watching the whole flic.</font>

J

jjadams

Enthusiast
My DVD

"Vertical Limit" is a nice one shows climbing the butes as well as K2 in Packistan.

"Cutaway" For colorfully outfitted sky divers over Miami Beach, FL

"First Knight" with Sean Connery, Richard Gere, and Julia Ormond

Criterion " A Night to Remember" B & W about Titanic sinking, I didn't choose Camerons because it wouldn't be anamorphic.

Star Trek IV about the whales

A James Bond movie your choice except for "Her Majesties Service"

"Mission to Mars" a space movie without any real monsters to deal with. :)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The Red Violin is a great show off disc if your speakers are musical. The score features the playing of Joshua Bell and sounds great; lots of music, no booms & bangs.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I do like LOTR Two Towers for the scene at Helm's Deep where the wall is blown up. Excellent low frequency extension. The artillery barrage in Gettysburg prior to Pickett's charge is also stunning.

My current favorite is the Band of Brothers DVD. It's well worth the $90 or so for 6 DVDs. Episode 2 where they parachute into Normandy has rivetting scenes of airplanes flying through flak as well as great combat scenes. Episode 6 has a powerful artillery barrage as well. The plot is far better than Private Ryan which did little for me beyond the opening scene. Best of all it's historically very accurate which Private Ryan is not. The characters are fascinating. It's even better if you don't know much of the history of the 101st Airborne.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Best DVDs to show off a system or test one are:

Se7en DTS:ES; for ambience and for Dark Colors and contrasts

Heat: Pacino and DeNiro make this movie very moving and the gun fights are some of the best I have heard in a movie yet

Open Range: Prolly best audio track I've heard yet believe it or not the guns sound very natural and the voices don't come across as being forced or too laid back.

~Bob

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
The "Lion King" DVD has some wonderful music & sounds to it. Some scenes will test your sub while others will have you swatting at flies.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
Super Speedway in DTS is a incredable demo. when the cars pass under the bridge at Elkhart Lake the sound is awsome.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Anyother Race Videos

race4aliving said:
Super Speedway in DTS is a incredable demo. when the cars pass under the bridge at Elkhart Lake the sound is awsome.
I like racing, I have The Racers (from the 50s), Le Mans, and The Speed Merchants. all on DVD. I have two questions, where can I get super Speedway, and do you know if Grand Prix is available on DVD?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Mudcat said:
I like racing, I have The Racers (from the 50s), Le Mans, and The Speed Merchants. all on DVD. I have two questions, where can I get super Speedway, and do you know if Grand Prix is available on DVD?
You can buy Super Speedway at walmart.com

:)

B

Badabbing

Audiophyte
Try Spiderman (great video), Men in Black II (great video), The Matrix or any superbit DVD should do. ;)

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
hellboy

just finished hellboy. a spectacular audio experience.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
For video the first 2 things I throw in:

Fifth Element Superbit - the opera singer scene (this audio is pretty impressive, too)

and to really mess with your eyes, the opening of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. The pan from the dark crevasse (with a *ton* of shadow detail) up to the blistering sun will pretty much show you the range. And you should see every pore on Aki's face.

X

xanteen

Enthusiast
Thump-Whump

I was just watching LOTR: Two Towers (Extended Edition) last night for the first time since getting my rig squared away with DTS. Man, there is sooo much more than just the much touted Helm's Deep fight scene.

Check out disc one when Treebeard is singing to Merry and Pippin ask he walks through the forest. The sound of his footsteps is incredible.

I got up and watched it with and without my sub on just to hear how much depth my sub added. Try it. It's such a smooth whump-whump that you feel it, more than hear it, and really only notice it when the windows shake a bit in your house. Sub off -- sounds like a potato dropped on a table. Sub on -- like one of your trees is escaping from your backyard!

There are a few other scenes that I thought were merely "neat" with my old Dolby setup, that really blew me away with the DTS ES going.

Best-
Xant

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Pod Race Scene

I use the Pod Race scene in Star Wars Episode One to demo a lot. It has great surround effects and bass, the detail visible on Annikan's pod racer is unbelieveable, and it's a lot of fun to watch.

For a single effect how about the door flying over Arnold's head in chapter 11 of Eraser as the house blows up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis