Best Center to pair with SVS SB Ultra 16?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Hi Guys - so I have the SVS Prime Center and my vocals are poor - I believe the SVS Sub is drowning out the Center - what center would you use thats under $750?

I tried so many adjustments in my Marantz SR6013 and Audyssey but cant seem to get the center to speak to me :)

I was thinking about the Ultra Center but open to others if I can get better vocals and better synergy with rest of SVS speakers - right now I need to raise the volume level just to hear people talking!!

On another note, is it ok to mix and match centers? I have all SVS prime speakers and the Ultra 16 Sub -arent speaker manufacturers making matching speakers to work together?

If so I will need to stick with the Ultra SVS Center.

Thanks!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You generally don't match center channels (or any other speakers) to the sub. You match them with your main speakers. The sub would only drown out the center if you have it set that way. I personally don't think you have a center channel issue so much as a placement issue or possibly settings. You have a pic of where your center channel sits right now?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I was thinking about lower the levels of all the speakers except the Center - perhaps that will help bring out the vocals more over the other sounds/effects?

If I take the upgrade route, so I would need to match the center with the fronts right?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was thinking about lower the levels of all the speakers except the Center - perhaps that will help bring out the vocals more over the other sounds/effects?

If I take the upgrade route, so I would need to match the center with the fronts right?
That's the idea. SVS does voice all of their speakers to match even between the Ultra and Prime series so the Ultra center should be fine. If it's a placement issue you're still going to have the same problem tho. Got a pic of where you have it right now?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I will take a pic when I get home - however it never was an issue before I upgraded to the Marantz SR6013 from the Integra DTR30.4 and Audyssey XT32 - it was always in the same location! Thats why I am puzzled by the fact that the vocals are muffled/lower with the Marantz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll tell ya tho, me being me and music my first priority I'd do the exact opposite of what you're proposing and have Ultras for mains and settle for the Prime center channel. You could also try another bookshelf instead of the center if you have the room. It would be an even better match than the center.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Now I am thinking about it, perhaps its some limitation with the Marantz SR6013?

I dunno but it sounded better with my older AVR!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I will take a pic when I get home - however it never was an issue before I upgraded to the Marantz SR6013 from the Integra DTR30.4 and Audyssey XT32 - it was always in the same location! Thats why I am puzzled by the fact that the vocals are muffled/lower with the Marantz.
I have the SR6011 so we even have the same receivers, mine being a bit older.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I'll tell ya tho, me being me and music my first priority I'd do the exact opposite of what you're proposing and have Ultras for mains and settle for the Prime center channel. You could also try another bookshelf instead of the center if you have the room. It would be an even better match than the center.
Really?

We do mostly action and movies in general and Netflix shows so Vocals are kinda crucial for us in our application. So I think the center is more crucial to nail down

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Dumb question - can I set the fronts as center and fronts simultaneously?

Or do vocals only play thru center channels?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Really?

We do mostly action and movies in general and Netflix shows so Vocals are kinda crucial for us in our application. So I think the center is more crucial to nail down
For strictly home theater, yes I agree. The center is the more important. So are placement and settings. I don't think there's anything wrong with your SR6013 so much as some kind of settings issue, or possibly a defective center? I doubt it's the latter but is possible. Without being there and running through your settings or playing with the position of your center it's really hard to tell. There are a lot of factors that can make differences in what your hearing.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I have a Denon x3400 with Audessy xt32 and to bring out the center channel more I went to options then channel level and bumped up the center channel 1db. Then I select audio and go to the dialog level turn it on and set to .5 For me this has livened the center without sounding harsh or out of place

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I have a Denon x3400 with Audessy xt32 and to bring out the center channel more I went to options then channel level and bumped up the center channel 1db. Then I select audio and go to the dialog level turn it on and set to .5 For me this has livened the center without sounding harsh or out of place
I don't think I have a dialogue level setting in the Marantz sr6013 sadly

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I still think you need to slide the center forward and run Audyssey setup again first tho...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the sub is drowning out the dialogue, the sub output is definitely set too high. This is not a speaker issue but a calibration issue.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, if it was fine before, it had to be audyssey, compensating for something that was wacky. Might be worth getting the app and limiting the center EQ to 2 or 300hz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis