Best Center Channel for clearest audio?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Shady, frankly my real interest isn't necessarily improving on the RC263 unless there were matching towers that demanded it. I was curious about the PSA and others and can keep an eye out for those. I think I would be interested in upgrading from the R263 Towers potentially with something that goes well with the RC263. In your opinion, is it better to stick with towers and center that match? Not sure if you have heard the R263's or not. I know that the JBL 590s match the RC263 very well surprisingly. So I could fit 580s instead of 263s but most I have asked on this topic say that wouldn't be worth it unless I find some used cheap just to try for fun.

Also tempted to look at revel's but as those 263s are known to be modeled after some of the revels, I wonder what level of Revel you have to go before getting to a meaningful differential. This is where I should just not look at speakers and stay where I'm at but it's too fun to always be on the prowl :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is where I should just not look at speakers and stay where I'm at but it's too fun to always be on the prowl :)
Ain't that the truth! I have fun just looking through the classifieds for something cool. Then when you find something you get that little shot of dopamine and that feeling you get when you score. It's almost like gambling, but with virtually no risk of losing all your money.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
For the...you paid what???? for a center channel category, I vote the Persona C. Insane to pay that amount for a center channel, but after testing it out with Tennet and actually understanding the dialogue, I am sold.

Side note: I did not pay anywhere near list price, so I am just partially mentally challenged.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks Shady, frankly my real interest isn't necessarily improving on the RC263 unless there were matching towers that demanded it. I was curious about the PSA and others and can keep an eye out for those. I think I would be interested in upgrading from the R263 Towers potentially with something that goes well with the RC263. In your opinion, is it better to stick with towers and center that match? Not sure if you have heard the R263's or not. I know that the JBL 590s match the RC263 very well surprisingly. So I could fit 580s instead of 263s but most I have asked on this topic say that wouldn't be worth it unless I find some used cheap just to try for fun.

Also tempted to look at revel's but as those 263s are known to be modeled after some of the revels, I wonder what level of Revel you have to go before getting to a meaningful differential. This is where I should just not look at speakers and stay where I'm at but it's too fun to always be on the prowl :)
The problem is going from a good three-way like the RC263 to a two-way horizontal center is that you take a big blow in dispersion consistency. Two-way center speakers usually get pretty bad if you go just a little far off-axis. So speakers like the PSA MTMs would be a downgrade in everything but dynamic range vs the RC263s, and they wouldn't even be my first choice as two-way MTM centers go. Also, pairing something with a wide directivity pattern like the R263 towers would be a pretty significant mismatch with narrow directivity speakers like the PSA MTM center.

As for the JBL Studio 5 series, while they are made by Harman as well as the Infinity Reference speakers, they were not made by the same design teams or with the same design goals. The Infinity speakers share much the same performance targets as the Revel speakers, and you can consider them to be 'budget' Revels. If you wanted something with a good chance of matching your Infinity speakers, Revel is the way to go.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Got one of these comeing late next week brand new in the box hopefully it blends with the other jbl’s I use now . I use a jbl LC 2 now and have 0 complaints with it or that line but I intend to upgrade my front stage and this is first up .

Attachments

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Whe
Got one of these comeing late next week brand new in the box hopefully it blends with the other jbl’s I use now . I use a jbl LC 2 now and have 0 complaints with it or that line but I intend to upgrade my front stage and this is first up .
Cool where did you find it?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
The problem is going from a good three-way like the RC263 to a two-way horizontal center is that you take a big blow in dispersion consistency. Two-way center speakers usually get pretty bad if you go just a little far off-axis. So speakers like the PSA MTMs would be a downgrade in everything but dynamic range vs the RC263s, and they wouldn't even be my first choice as two-way MTM centers go. Also, pairing something with a wide directivity pattern like the R263 towers would be a pretty significant mismatch with narrow directivity speakers like the PSA MTM center.

As for the JBL Studio 5 series, while they are made by Harman as well as the Infinity Reference speakers, they were not made by the same design teams or with the same design goals. The Infinity speakers share much the same performance targets as the Revel speakers, and you can consider them to be 'budget' Revels. If you wanted something with a good chance of matching your Infinity speakers, Revel is the way to go.
Thanks I agree the RC263 is really special for the cheap sale price. Pretty amazing really. Will look out for Revels

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Whe

Cool where did you find it?
Found a dealer on eBay he had around 10 of them left he also had the high range top end horn arrays that bolt onto the 1400 synthesis bass units too . Iam not sure if this will mix with my setup now but down the road Iam wanting to upgrade my front end this is my start .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis