Best CD for showing off a systen

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
Everyone seems to use Dark Side of the Moon as a test CD, what other CDs are great for showing off a system you are the proud owner of?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
NIN "With Teeth". Lots of dynamics, and if you get a DVD-Audio, the surround mix is amazing. It is a well mastered recording and almost no compression.:)

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
My Short List:

Donald Fagen "Morph the Cat" DVD-A
Steely Dan "Gaucho" DVD-A
Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" DVD-A
Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD
Mark Knopfler "Shangri-La" DVD-A

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
These come to mind right away...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step, Emotive
Metallica - Master of Puppets, The Black Album
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Nirvana - Unplugged in NY
Esteban - Enter the Heart

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Fiona Apple - Tidal
Dave Mathews Band - Crash
Patrica Barber - Cafe Blue (CD and SACD available)

DVD-A
Linkin Park - Reanimation
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Deadwing and Stupid Dream

SACD
Roxy Music - Avalon

DSotM is often recommended, but most likely they are talking about the SACD version.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'll stick with just the CD format.

Jon Butcher: Wishes, and Pictures From the Front.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Don't forget, anything that person is familiar with, regardless of the recording quality. That way they can hear how much better it sounds on your system versus theirs.

Jack

M

moverton

Audioholic
Getz-Gilberto SACD
50 year old recording that sounds better than anything else I have. Also, just a terrific piece of music. Sounds like you're in the studio.
http://www.amazon.com/Getz-Gilberto-Stan/dp/B00006L6YG

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi DVD-A + CD
I only use the DVD-A stereo version (not the surround). "In The Morning Of The Magicians" is incredible. And you get CD version too. "Soft Bulliten" also comes in this format and again, the stereo cut is best. If your setup images well, the stereo version of this sounds 3d. Best imaging cut "Sleeping On The Roof". If your system can't handle extream dynamic range, these two will be problematic.
http://www.amazon.com/Yoshimi-Battles-Pink-Robots-Deluxe/dp/B0000B1A2O/sr=1-2/qid=1163693335/ref=sr_1_2/002-4568419-2239203?ie=UTF8&s=music
http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Bulletin-Flaming-Lips/dp/B000DN5W0W/sr=1-3/qid=1163694353/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-4568419-2239203?ie=UTF8&s=music

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition CD/DVD-A
The DVD-A surround is very well mixed. Most people know this album so it makes a good demo.
http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Arms-Anniversary-Dire-Straits/dp/B0009WFF7M

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
j_garcia said:
To show off a multichannel system, the SACD is a great choice.
To show off a multichannel system, the SACD is a great choice, I agree. I just think the 4.1 DVD-A is an even better choice. YMMV...

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Donald Fagan - The Nightfly
Pat Metheny - Still Life (Talking)
Pat Metheny - Watercolors
Pat Metheny - Letter From Home

There's a reason why I like to use Pat Metheny for speaker testing and demonstrations... probably among the best recorded albums ever.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
The Sibelius symphonies (Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orch.) on the Decca label are good, particularly the first symphony. Also the Deutsche Grammophon (digitally remastered) Karajan (1976) version of Tschaikowsky's sixth symphony is good.

Radiohead Kid A has some nice stereo effects and good bass on the later tracks.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
larry7995 said:
Everyone seems to use Dark Side of the Moon as a test CD, what other CDs are great for showing off a system you are the proud owner of?
Tribal Tech...either the Illicit album or Reality Check. Also Dave Weckyl's Heads Up. Killer fusion jazz that incorporates jazz, funk, rock, blues, etc. Great recordings and dynamic.

jlcct

jlcct

Junior Audioholic
Seth=L said:
NIN "With Teeth". Lots of dynamics, and if you get a DVD-Audio, the surround mix is amazing. It is a well mastered recording and almost no compression.:)
You have convinced me. NIN was a big part of my past and because of you I have re-realized their influence. I will buy everything NIN tomorrow.

jlcct

jlcct

Junior Audioholic
I just carry what I listen to most. I bring Audioslave, the Deftones and a couple others. I always listen to Tantric first for some reason. Weird cause I rarely listen to them at home any more. I usauly won't listen to anything that I don't listen to at home. I'll go to Tweeter once in a while and ask to listen to the new stuff and they always offer me a bunch of their CD's....get away from me. I went to a dealer in White Plains a while back and this "employee" thought it was so funny because I wanted to hear the Deftones. I left.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Shpongle-"Tales of the Inexspressable. So far ahead of everything else it stands alone at the top.
Shakatura-"Galactivation" . If you have a sub, this is great.
ELP ' Brain Salad Surgery"
Pink Floyd DSOTM, SACD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis