Best Buy Phases out Physical Media

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Wrong on both counts there...try again.
Did you actually listen to a CD and LP version of the same music when CDs first came out? Many sounded like crap because the masters weren't suitable for CD. Once they started recording and mastering for CDs, it was better but yeesh! Some of the early CDs really sounded bad.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
LOL, tell me about your analog rig back in the day. Were even old enough to understand proper set up ?
Well, Sonny...I don't have to tell you diddly squat about "my vinyl/analog rig". (We called them "our stereo systems" back then).
I was 31 in 86'.... Had a job at a local audio shop, so of course...I had no idea what I was doing. ;)
You know the old saying about assumptions? (if you are old enough?)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Did you actually listen to a CD and LP version of the same music when CDs first came out? Many sounded like crap because the masters weren't suitable for CD. Once they started recording and mastering for CDs, it was better but yeesh! Some of the early CDs really sounded bad.
Sure did.
And yes...some of the early cd's were awful..good thing I didn't listen to any of the artists of the ones that did.

At the time I was using a Yamaha CR 2020 with Yamaha NS 500 speakers, and a SpeakerLab Sub I built....and an original Technics SL1200 turntable. (I changed cartridges a lot, usually Audio Technica or Grado)

Dumping Vinyl was a dream come true for me.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well, Sonny...I don't have to tell you diddly squat about "my vinyl/analog rig". (We called them "our stereo systems" back then).
I was 31 in 86'.... Had a job at a local audio shop, so of course...I had no idea what I was doing. ;)
You know the old saying about assumptions? (if you are old enough?)
Hell you're just a kid ! gotcha by '2', LOL !

Whether you worked in an audio shop or not, the early days of digital did not in ANY way blow away analog. You can think it all you want, but you would be in the minority.

As for now, when someone asks about getting into analog to start, I'm one of the first to say why ?? But for those of us old enough and with a well maintained collection(TLS Guy for example), great music continues to live in the analog domain !

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Hell you're just a kid ! gotcha by '2', LOL !

Whether you worked in an audio shop or not, the early days of digital did not in ANY way blow away analog. You can think it all you want, but you would be in the minority.

As for now, when someone asks about getting into analog to start, I'm one of the first to say why ?? But for those of us old enough and with a well maintained collection(TLS Guy for example), great music continues to live in the analog domain !
Well whoop de doo for you then....vinyl sucked then as bad as it does now, great music will last forever in the digital domain.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well whoop de doo for you then....vinyl sucked then as bad as it does now, great music will last forever in the digital domain.
You're too funny old man ! I guess some Republican pissed on your parade perhaps ?? !! :eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
there you go, looking in the mirror again !
Well, it's a faint outline there but I still have my vinyl because I'm too cheap to throw perfectly usable stuff away, but wouldn't knock those that might have elected to just stop using vinyl....I certainly stopped buying it a very long time ago but heck, my tt still works....and I get nostalgic now and then....

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Well, it's a faint outline there but I still have my vinyl because I'm too cheap to throw perfectly usable stuff away, but wouldn't knock those that might have elected to just stop using vinyl....I certainly stopped buying it a very long time ago but heck, my tt still works....and I get nostalgic now and then....
I knew of course my comment that getting rid of vinyl as a crap format would inflame some....that's ok.
To me, it really was a crap format.
Clicks, pops, groove noise/rumble...and the fact that every time you played it, it got worse, made it the poster child of entropy for me.
I would have rather had commercial reel to reels of what I wanted to listen to.

So, when a format came along that was the same every time, and required far less maintenance over the long run, I was thrilled to death.
No more cleaning/washing records...no more new cartridges and stylus...pure heaven.
No more clicks, pops, rumble...nothing. I have cd's from 86 that still work and sound fantastic.

For those that love vinyl, good for them. It has its charms. It has the vinyl "sound", if you like the vinyl sound.

I have my hard drives...I'm happy now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I knew of course my comment that getting rid of vinyl as a crap format would inflame some....that's ok.
To me, it really was a crap format.
Clicks, pops, groove noise/rumble...and the fact that every time you played it, it got worse, made it the poster child of entropy for me.
I would have rather had commercial reel to reels of what I wanted to listen to.

So, when a format came along that was the same every time, and required far less maintenance over the long run, I was thrilled to death.
No more cleaning/washing records...no more new cartridges and stylus...pure heaven.
No more clicks, pops, rumble...nothing. I have cd's from 86 that still work and sound fantastic.

For those that love vinyl, good for them. It has its charms. It has the vinyl "sound", if you like the vinyl sound.

I have my hard drives...I'm happy now.
Yep I was a fairly quick convert to the advantages rather than some silly attachment to vinyl....but might have depended on what sort of music and/or vinyl? I just had the clear advantage thing obvious for my use....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I've been reading the last page of this thread

I studied it carefully

And have decided with my amazing powers of deduction

That Best Buy will stop selling physical media

BUT!!!!

They will start selling vinyl

:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I studied it carefully

BUT!!!!

Just the sort of oxymoron than can work in audio!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thats a damn shame for all the artists using BandCamp to try and make a little bit of money.
If they had to rely on the crumbs from streaming, they would all be dead by now.
Then again if all would control their own music and not need help.....

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

I studied it carefully

BUT!!!!

Well, Urban Outfitters sells Vinyl and turntables. Even Wally World does. Kind of a "boutique" thing; :cool: But I wonder how long this will last?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well, Urban Outfitters sells Vinyl and turntables. Even Wally World does. Kind of a "boutique" thing; :cool: But I wonder how long this will last?
well for starters it will last as long as this man is around .....

17 years ago I took a bunch of Martin Logan owners on a pilgrimage to the birthplace of ML (Lawrence, KS). We then made a day trip to Salinas to meet with Chad, visit his company and take in his recording studio in the old church.

if any of you love the 'Blues' you can thank Chad for single handedly doing more than anyone to record and preserve as many artists as possible before they died.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis