Best Buy Phases out Physical Media

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Doh!

Well, I guess Amazon will still be selling physical discs for now.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Give it a few years when streaming collapses from poor quality at high prices...discs will never go away completely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, did BB ever get into the vinyl re-emergence?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Give it a few years when streaming collapses from poor quality at high prices...discs will never go away completely.
Based on your comments, you seem far from a spring chicken, yet still so naive that unwashed masses would ever prefer quality over convenience. Just look at YouTube TV - their price jumped twice. Netflix streaming prices also doubled from $7.99 to $15.49. Both still have plenty of suckers subscribers.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Based on your comments, you seem far from a spring chicken, yet still so naive that unwashed masses would ever prefer quality over convenience. Just look at YouTube TV - their price jumped twice. Netflix streaming prices also doubled from $7.99 to $15.49. Both still have plenty of suckers subscribers.
Actually even though prices have gone up, subscriptions to all those services are on a downward swing.
I never have and never will give any of them a red cent for the quality they offer.

Its funny to me that we now have incredible tv sets with fantastic pictures, yet most play the lowest quality content they can get on them. One can only hope that at some point there will be a demand for quality over quantity, but I doubt that !

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Too bad but the Best Buy near me closed a few moths ago. Vinyl is available in a nearby Newbury Comics store but almost no CDs. Rhino and Amazon still going for CDs but prefer to buy in person. Reissues are about all that’s new anymore. Catering to old guys like me that will pay top dollar to own a physical copy.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
With faster and faster internet speeds,
Wishful thinking. Bandwidth is only getting faster for those not in remote areas. The bigger reason why streaming prices are going up, is the fact they are not just replaying old movies, they are creating new content. I hate the price increases too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
With faster and faster internet speeds,

Wishful thinking. Bandwidth is only getting faster for those not in remote areas. The bigger reason why streaming prices are going up, is the fact they are not just replaying old movies, they are creating new content. I hate the price increases too.
It's a catch-22 situation or vicious circle, if you may. Everyone wants their original streaming service to maximize profits. No one wants to cross-license their content to keep it exclusive on their platform to prop it up. As a result, every streaming service to add new content must invest in expensive new content production. As a result, the subscription price must go up to cover these costs. Higher subscription prices lead to some loss of subscribers.
So this is why Netflix and, recently, Disney are trying to squeeze more out of their current customers without raising prices, such as going after password-sharing folks.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It's a catch-22 situation or vicious circle, if you may. Everyone wants their original streaming service to maximize profits. No one wants to cross-license their content to keep it exclusive on their platform to prop it up. As a result, every streaming service to add new content must invest in expensive new content production. As a result, the subscription price must go up to cover these costs. Higher subscription prices lead to some loss of subscribers.
So this is why Netflix and, recently, Disney are trying to squeeze more out of their current customers without raising prices, such as going after password-sharing folks.
Bingo. It reminds me a little of the prescription drug industry. We pay a fortune for development and advertising. They could do away with the advertising and just keep the prescribers informed. I can't rent DVD's any more and I can't stream because of slow metered satellite internet out here in the country. I just watch what I can get on Dish. That may be the next to go.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Curious, did BB ever get into the vinyl re-emergence?
Kind of. Never saw a large selection but at least we have a fair number of other places to buy hard copies and LPs. The BB staff here knew just about nothing about music or what they could order for people. For that matter, the BB close to my house has a very small sales staff.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Vinyl can kiss my patootie. Dumped that crappy format in 86' and never regretted it for a second.
ANYBODY that abandoned LP's in the beginning of CD's either had a crappy system or had no clue as to how to set up a good vinyl rig............

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis