Best budget over ear open-back headphones for less than $150

A

angelmf2704

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm planning buying a new pair of headphones. Recently I bought the Audio Technica M20X to try a different sound signature since I've been using Sony's WH-1000XM3 for travelling and some casual use, not audiophile. Since I bought a good USB DAC recently I wanted to upgrade. I didn't like the sound a lot so I returned them and got a refund. Now I'm looking for a new pair of cans and these are my requirements.
-Comfortable for a medium size head
-Open back design
-3.5 mm cable included in the box
-Price max $150
-Suitable for rock and female vocals
-Decent bass, not muddy
-Good midrange
-Soft treble, not piercing
-Forgiving

My options right now are the Sennheiser's HD 559 and Philips SHP9500. Finding the Philip's will be more difficult. Tell me what you think.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello, I'm planning buying a new pair of headphones. Recently I bought the Audio Technica M20X to try a different sound signature since I've been using Sony's WH-1000XM3 for travelling and some casual use, not audiophile. Since I bought a good USB DAC recently I wanted to upgrade. I didn't like the sound a lot so I returned them and got a refund. Now I'm looking for a new pair of cans and these are my requirements.
-Comfortable for a medium size head
-Open back design
-3.5 mm cable included in the box
-Price max $150
-Suitable for rock and female vocals
-Decent bass, not muddy
-Good midrange
-Soft treble, not piercing
-Forgiving

My options right now are the Sennheiser's HD 559 and Philips SHP9500. Finding the Philip's will be more difficult. Tell me what you think.
Raise your budget to ~$200, then look at the drop.com Senn HD6xx or AKG7xx options. These are going to be excellent headphones, and a case where the extra $ is really worth it. Note that you have to register at drop.com to see their offerings. The Senn 58x is a little cheaper option at $170

Beyond that, in general you can't go wrong with Sennheiser, I also personally really like AKG. A lot of people like Grado and Beyerdynamics.

I personally thought the AT50 was over-rated.

Note--For headphones, a comfortable fit is priority #1.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd say Philips Fidelio X2HR > Philips SHP9500
For Senss (which is my Fav brand) - go with the most expensive you could afford.
I'd just state that I own $500 AKG K712-Pro and a $250 HD600 (at time of purchase) - and HD600 is sooo much better sound-wise.
If you could get HD599 for $150 - go for it over Philips - you won't regret it.

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
HiFiMan HE400 SE Id say right at your budget 149.00... I have the SHP9500 the definite budget choice though.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think you should be able to find Sennheiser HD 599 around your budget, if not then go for highest model from Sennheiser you can find. Though upping for the 599 could be well worth it.

jd-mac

jd-mac

Enthusiast
I just bought a set of AKG K-702's from Adorama for $145 delivered. I think it might be difficult to beat their performance for the money. They are not as comfy as my trusty old Sennheiser HD-580's, though.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Don't overlook the Grados. They have some phones in your price range.

Last edited:
E

ebrartin

Enthusiast
The Sennheiser headphones you have are some of the finest open-back headphones on the market.

You sound fairly underwhelmed by their performance. What I am saying to you is that I think you are likely to continue to be underwhelmed without spending a significant sum on a DAC and/or headphone amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The Sennheiser headphones you have are some of the finest open-back headphones on the market.

You sound fairly underwhelmed by their performance. What I am saying to you is that I think you are likely to continue to be underwhelmed without spending a significant sum on a DAC and/or headphone amp.
Bollocks!

Nobody in this thread said anything about underwhelming Senns. You also most certainly don't have to be dropping serious $ for a DAC nor a Headphone amp to get high quality audio from a set of high quality cans.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have both the Grado SR60s and the AKG K240 Studios. Both are under 100 and opened back. I like them both but prefer the Grados by a little. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have both the Grado SR60s and the AKG K240 Studios. Both are under 100 and opened back. I like them both but prefer the Grados by a little. :)
I've never heard a set of Grados, but they are always on my radar.

I have a set of Senn HD6xx and 598SE, then AKG 7xx and 845BT.

I use the 845BT a lot due to the wireless/BT function. My 598 have become my desk cans for listening to music while working, and for online work calls (used a mic/headphone splitter cable and added a desk-based mic).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have too many headphones, many of them are Senns. Not a single sens I've yet to be disappointed including the cheapest one, HD201 (bought it at around $25). Among all my HD600 are still my most accurate reference level phones. HD599 comes very close at a much cheaper price.

D

dvaid

Audiophyte
Hi Angelfm, I recently purchased the Philips SHP9500 on Ebay. They are wired of course, but quite a long cord not suitable for music on the move. A shorter cable isn't included in the box. Anyway, the open back design prob precludes listening outdoors. Compared with my Beyerdynamic they are noticeable clearer and more detailed. Reviews say they are bass light and I would agree with that. As somebody who likes big speakers with 10" or 12" woofers I tend to classify this as thinnish sound... not tinny or necessarily inferior but not enough tone for my personal taste. To be honest I am going to sell them back on Ebay.
I notice that Philips does a Fidelio range at a much higher audiophile and price level and an Independent newspaper review of those gave them BEST in their price bracket, for sound-comfort-features-quality, out of all the other manufacturers including Sennheiser etc. I don't think the Philips 95000s were what I was looking for and will be avoiding open back phones from now on. Hope this helps.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I've never heard a set of Grados, but they are always on my radar.

I have a set of Senn HD6xx and 598SE, then AKG 7xx and 845BT.

I use the 845BT a lot due to the wireless/BT function. My 598 have become my desk cans for listening to music while working, and for online work calls (used a mic/headphone splitter cable and added a desk-based mic).
The Grado series have their own particular sound, but I do like them. If you ever get a chance listen to a pair.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Here ya go....on Amazon too with free returns.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Update a year later. Still like the Grados ok but after extended listening they have pretty week bass and are extremely bright. Good for some music but not all. I have some Senn 599ses on the way from amazon purchased on Prime day for a huge discount. I also have some AKG 240s which have even less bass than the Grados and some Senn 280s which I like but are a bit cumbersome. Hoping the 599s will be the best compromise. Sheesh 4 sets of headphones (not counting my Bose earbuds and cheapo Panasonics) and I don't even listen to headphones that much. Time to cull the herd. :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Update - the Sennheiser 599s are now my go to phones with the Grados as the backup pair. Both are still on display with my system while the Senn 280s and the AKG 240s have been regulated to storage. Only have room for 2 pairs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Update - the Sennheiser 599s are now my go to phones with the Grados as the backup pair. Both are still on display with my system while the Senn 280s and the AKG 240s have been regulated to storage. Only have room for 2 pairs.
I'm glad you liked the 599s. I still own and enjoy my daily HD600s. So far, the only thing I had to do with them is to replace (user-replaceable) cable.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I'm glad you liked the 599s. I still own and enjoy my daily HD600s. So far, the only thing I had to do with them is to replace (user-replaceable) cable.
Nice. I like the 599s, but I wonder if I should have pulled the trigger on some 600 series, but they cost much more than I paid for the 599s. Anyway, I probably listen to headphones less than 5% of the time so I'm ok with it. Glad you like the 600s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis