Best Break Up Song Ever?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hey guys, just a quick post to find out what everyone thinks some good break up songs are. I recently (not too recently, don't worry I'm ok) went through the worst (only) breakup of my life. It was weeks before I started to even feel normal and one of the things that got me through relatively unscathed was listening to music.

The two songs I found helped the most were Passive by A perfect Circle and Only by NIN. Also helping were Song for the Dumped by Ben Folds Five, F.O.D by green Day, and for that "Oh Bono you get me you magnificant Irish bastard" feeling there was One by U2. There were some meaner ones, and some sappier ones, but all of these made a mixed CD

I figure what the hey, maybe someone else can get some use out of this as well, so let's make a list. What are your favourite breakup songs?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The Breakup Song by Greg Kihn - 'they don't write 'em like that anymore...'

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You

Nine Inch Nails - the entire album Pretty Hate Machine

Staind - Mudshovel

Last edited:
S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Chris Cornell Euphoria Morning is a album that has a lot of good breakup music. Stained, Eric Clapton, Soul Asylum, just to name a few. Women, can't live with them, can't kill them. Hope everything works out for you. Happy Listening.:)
Greg

9f9c7z

Banned
Alanis Morissette’s whole first album is one angry break up song.

‘Stained’ by Android Lust gets pretty angry. Nice video for the song, too. See it at their website.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
My guiltiest pleasure was a song called I don't want you back by eamon. I'm not an R&B guy but I knows what I likes, and this summed up my feelings really well when I was coming out of my funk. Warning though, there is a female version of this track that correctly points out how whiney the guy is being.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
9f9c7z said:
Alanis Morissette’s whole first album is one angry break up song.
From a woman's perspective though...:) There's at least one lamenting or angry song on each of her albums.

Smashing Pumpkins - From Siamese Dream: Hummer, Soma, From Pisces Iscariot: Obscured

From Soma:
Nothing left to say
And all I've left to do
Is run away
From you
And she led me on, down
With secrets I can't keep

Close your eyes and sleep
Don't wait up for me
Hush now don't you speak
To me

Wrapped my hurt in you
And took my shelter in that pain
The opiate of blame
Is your broken heart, your heart

So now I'm all by myself
As I've always felt
I'll betray my tears
To anyone caught in our ruse of fools

One last kiss from me...yeah
One last kiss good night

Last edited:
H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
How about a song that won't help you through a breakup, but in fact may actually keep you wallowing in self-pity:

Feel So Low by Porcupine Tree

So see how long I can last
You can pretend that I don't exist for you
And I can laugh about it now
But I hated every minute
I was waiting for your email
And each day that you forgot to call
Just made me feel so low
So low
Christmas 1998
I tried to call
I just couldn't wait
And your message was out of date
So I left my voice on your machine
But you did not respond
OK OK OK you've won
You make me feel so low
So low

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
How about slightly less angry, yet still 'you done me wrong' songs? I like King Without A Crown and The Night You Murdered Love by ABC. [They are not slow and sappy].

ABC - King Without A Crown

King without a hope,
King without a heart,
King without a woman...baby
Yes, I'm a King Without a Crown.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sloth - Even Though It's Over and Billygoat

Seether - Broken, Needles, and Sold Me (down the river) from DisclaimerII

Hey, I have a lot of these too... I wonder why that is? ;) Could have something to do with the fact that it was about a year ago for me too, and music has always been helpful in coping with it.

Fiona Apple - Love Ridden

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

GET OVER IT!

It's their mission in life to make us guys miserable when we break up! Don't give her the satisfaction!

But if you must, Nickleback- Figured You Out

Should get you in the mood to move on and go to the local t***y bar for some quality adult entertainment! :cool:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Violent Femmes - Kiss Off

Titty bars charge too much for beer... :D

J

JohnnyCasaba

Enthusiast
For some reason, I still remember this Martin Briley song from the 80's, The Salt in my Tears:

I never did it
No I won't admit it
Why should I lie for you anymore
You never loved me
You pushed and you shoved me
I see the woman I never saw
I saw you laugh when the knife was twisted
It still hurts but the pain has shifted
I'm looking back at the time that drifted by
But I won't cry for the wasted years
'Cos you ain't worth the salt in my tears

Feeling neglected
Used and rejected
You need a shoulder to lean upon
Maybe you've picked him
Found your next victim
Don't worry someone will come along
I broke the spell that you kept me under
I'd had enough of the rain and thunder
I lost track of the time and I wonder why
But I won't cry for the wasted years

I'll sit around and drink a few more beers
Until the memory just disappears

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
"He-Man Woman Hater" by Extreme. Old, but still awesome. Nuno Bettencourt is (was?) a masterful rock guitar god.

Same group that did "More than Words" - that acoustic guitar thing that was so popular in the early 90s.

~Josh

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
The whole album Fleetwood mac "Rumours" was about breaking up and moving on..nothing better to lift your spirits after getting your heart ripped out. The group was, as most know, couples who broke up during the recording. And when you see Stevie and Lindsay sing still to this day, you can see when they look at each other how much pain was there.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
I guess those are all great for the "modern senstive guy" but for my money THE best break up song of ALL TIME came from the 1972 album Son of Schmilsson by Harry Nilsson "You're Breakin My Heart" . you;ve got to love the line, you're breakin my heart you're tearin it apart so....Fu...k you. Every body should do them selfs a favor and pick up a Harry Nilsson disc. "greatest hit" is a good start but you will be amazed scope of his work a real genious and trust thats one I rarlly though out there. Have some fun it will only cost ya what maybe $15.00 bucks and even if you think Im the big Tin Eared Audiot on this or any planet youwill still have the greatest breakup song ever

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
race4aliving said:
I guess those are all great for the "modern senstive guy" but for my money THE best break up song of ALL TIME came from the 1972 album Son of Schmilsson by Harry Nilsson "You're Breakin My Heart" . you;ve got to love the line, you're breakin my heart you're tearin it apart so....Fu...k you. Every body should do them selfs a favor and pick up a Harry Nilsson disc. "greatest hit" is a good start but you will be amazed scope of his work a real genious and trust thats one I rarlly though out there. Have some fun it will only cost ya what maybe $15.00 bucks and even if you think Im the big Tin Eared Audiot on this or any planet youwill still have the greatest breakup song ever
Another Audiot here. Nilsson was great...especially if you liked The Point. Nilsson Smilsson wasn't too bad, either. Genius is aptly applied to that man. He played all the parts and sang all the leads and harmonies. A one-man producer-director-artist-writer-singer-engineer company.

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
What Went Wrong - Blink 182 I don't really like most of their stuff but this fit perfectly for one of mine.

~Chuck

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Hawkeye said:
How about a song that won't help you through a breakup, but in fact may actually keep you wallowing in self-pity:
Speaking of self pity:

Love Has No Pride - Linda Ronstadt (sp?)

Ain't Too Proud To Beg - Motown late 60s, I forget the goup

Prescreption: Listen to each of these songs once, have a good cry, then burn the suckers (CDs), listen repeatedly to some of the "screw you" songs mentioned in other posts in this thread and you will feel alot better.

PS: Incantations during the burning process is optional but recommended.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis