Best 100% music sub??

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
is it that big of a deal or is any decent one ok? What do you think? Brand?

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Any decent one is ok.

Some people prefer sealed subs like the Rocket UFW-10 because they sound "faster"....the bass notes tend to blend less together.

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
yes but

"No such thing as a music only sub."

If I never use it for anything else then it is a music only sub :rolleyes:

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
There are subs that are oriented for music rather than explosions. They desirable features include a low system q (0.5-0.7) and relatively lightweight drivers which allow a faster response to a signal and a faster termination at the end. To achieve a low system q which results in a flatter frequency response many such subs are not ported. They generally are relatively inefficient and thus will not boom as loud as other subs. The best I know is the Vandersteen 2wq which is $1300 although you can find it used for less. It has all these features and many other well thought out ideas. It does require a pre out amp in access on your receiver or separates. There is a good review of it on their website www.vandersteen.com by Richard Hardesty and it is one of his better explanations of the theoretical musical sub. Yes, it does work fine for movies too.

There are other subs of similar design out there but I am not aware of any that are less expensive.

annunaki

annunaki

Dan said:
There are subs that are oriented for music rather than explosions. They desirable features include a low system q (0.5-0.7) and relatively lightweight drivers which allow a faster response to a signal and a faster termination at the end. To achieve a low system q which results in a flatter frequency response many such subs are not ported. They generally are relatively inefficient and thus will not boom as loud as other subs. The best I know is the Vandersteen 2wq which is $1300 although you can find it used for less. It has all these features and many other well thought out ideas. It does require a pre out amp in access on your receiver or separates. There is a good review of it on their website www.vandersteen.com by Richard Hardesty and it is one of his better explanations of the theoretical musical sub. Yes, it does work fine for movies too.

There are other subs of similar design out there but I am not aware of any that are less expensive.
Be wary of marketing. For a good sub, look for a woofer (actual driver) with a low FS and LOW inductance (Le). Inductance determines transient response, not moving mass. A good sub will do music or movies. If a sub can do well with music it will do well with movies. If it cannot do music very well, it is not a very good sub. An over all system q in the .75 to .65 range is usually desired. Below .65-.60 the systems can sound overdamped.

Check out the following:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Any of the "Big Three" (HSU Research, SVS, & Velodyne) subwoofer companies have very good products for your budget. You'll have a bigger problem buying a bad sub from them :p

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I have auditioned two PSB subs and the Hsu STF 3 I have now...oh and a Polk PSW 404 I had for a year that I blew up watching Master and Commander.

The 10" PSB was excellent for my room..it's 12 x 12 ....the 12" model, the 6i I think it is was excellent as well. However the Hsu STF 3 is better than both by a wide margin and it costs somewhere in the middle of the two PSB models. I would be very happy with the PSB 12" but it was about $100 more than the Hsu...this Hsu is hardly being pushed and it's breathtaking.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
annunaki said:
Be wary of marketing. For a good sub, look for a woofer (actual driver) with a low FS and LOW inductance (Le). Inductance determines transient response, not moving mass. A good sub will do music or movies. If a sub can do well with music it will do well with movies. If it cannot do music very well, it is not a very good sub. An over all system q in the .75 to .65 range is usually desired. Below .65-.60 the systems can sound overdamped.

Check out the following:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf
I thought it was the other way. Good for movies,good for anything. It might do well for music but it doesnt need to go as low as it does with movies. So you get a sub that goes down to 25Hz and that about covers 99% of music but 16-24Hz of lost movies.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
shokhead said:
I thought it was the other way. Good for movies,good for anything. It might do well for music but it doesnt need to go as low as it does with movies. So you get a sub that goes down to 25Hz and that about covers 99% of music but 16-24Hz of lost movies.
Frequently subs that go really low and loud do not do the upper bass well. People love their consumer direct subs but it is rare to find someone who has actually compared their choice to the other subs. The guys talking about transient response speed are right on for music. I'd take the Rocket UFW-10 or ACI's Force in the OP's budget for a music first sub that I've heard. I own a Hsu tf-2.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Any of the "Big Three" (HSU Research, SVS, & Velodyne) subwoofer companies have very good products for your budget. You'll have a bigger problem buying a bad sub from them :p
Um. That's not, by any means, the "big three" ... it's more like: "Two small direct sellers and one big manufacturer."

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I heard the PSB 6i again at a friend's house yesterday and I think it's a VERY musical sub, possibly more musical then the VTF-3 that I auditioned before. It doesn't reach as deep, but there was something about it....it just seemed more "fluid" if there is a way to describe it. Without seeing any measurements, it just seemed more "fuller" without being peaky at the low end. I'd imagine the VTF-3 would reach deeper and provide more impact for movies, but I think I prefer the PSB 6i for just music listening. It sounds "tight" and well controlled no matter what music we threw at it, especially something with a lot of large deep drums. Of course, a lot of it may be just room environment, but the bottom line is....it sounded very good. And dare I say it, I think it might have been even better than my new Mirage sub..maybe...something I don't admit too readilly :p

Anyway, I'll throw in a recomendation for the PSB 6i if you want a "musical" sub. But otherwise, I'd still recommend the Hsu VTF-3, it's an awesome sub for home theater.

Last edited:
S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Musical Sub

HSU TN-1220 is extremely musical and plays very low, but with their 500 watt amp, is about $1400. I bought one, and couldn't be happier. Go to the HSU website and read up...

Pat

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Twooooo

Two of those rockets look like thay wouls be nice. Plus they are nice and small so they can go next to my floorstanders. I so don't need these thing but I need them soooo bad

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Tex-amp said:
Frequently subs that go really low and loud do not do the upper bass well. People love their consumer direct subs but it is rare to find someone who has actually compared their choice to the other subs. The guys talking about transient response speed are right on for music. I'd take the Rocket UFW-10 or ACI's Force in the OP's budget for a music first sub that I've heard. I own a Hsu tf-2.
Sorry,i just dont buy it. Musical sub? Good sub,bad sub yes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis