Belkin PF60 or APC H15?

S

Space Ace

Enthusiast
I have narrowed my search down to these two units for my home theater. They can both be had on the internet for about the same price. Anyone have experience with both of these units? If so, then which do you prefer? I've read plenty of info on both and am interested in hearing from owners of either of them. Thanks in advance.

S

Space Ace

Enthusiast
Yes, it is true the PF60 does not have automatic voltage regulation. All they say is that it has overvoltage protection. I'm also wondering about the noise filtering capabilities of the PF60. APC has a fairly detailed spec sheet on their website, but on Belkins website they are kind of vague when it comes to EMI/RFI noise filtering numbers. All I can find is that the PF60 has "phase 6 purefilter circuitry", whatever that means. I'm having a hard time deciding as they both appear to be pretty good units.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
For what it's worth . . .

Audioholics has reviewed, interviewed designers, recommended, and uses the APC power center equipment.

"phase 6 purefilter circuitry"
Sounds like marketing came up with that one.

plhart

Audioholic
jcPanny said:
I have also been checking out these type of products. I am pretty sure that the Belken products do not have voltage regulation (output perfect 120V AC to your gear), while the APC H10 and H15 do.

Tripplite also has a new product which might be worth a look:
http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=3071&ciLinkID=HOM_0905_A_FLASHBOX_SMART1000LCD#description
If you've been following my first two articles based on building a high performance/dollar system around the Audyssey Sound Equalizer you'll recall that I used the $99.95 TrippLite surge suppressor/battery back-up for my "starter-for-the-price-point" unit.

The problem I have with the TrippLite is that it is NOT a power conditioner so its LED readout continuously reminds me of how bad and chronically low our neighborhood voltage is. The only time I've ever seen the voltage hit 117 volts is about 2AM in the morning. Mostly during the day and during prime home theater viewing hours the voltage will read anywhere from 105 to 114 volts. And, having done real world testing on power amplifiers I know that the only way they can actually hit their published performance numbers is usually with a variac which can boost the voltage when a typical power line experiances severe voltage sag under all-channels-driven test loads.

That's why one of my first system step-ups, in part three of my series, will be an APC H15. So far I'm extremely impressed with both the build quality of the unit and APC's no-snake-oil approach to Home theater specific power conditioning. Stay tuned...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis