Behringer Feedback Destroyer PRO DSP1124P

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
I have an SVS PB12-plus/2 sub and it sounds great. However, I understand it would sound better if I had ordered it with the para equalizer for another $200 more so that I can tailor the sub to the room acoustics. I have been advised to get a Behringer Feedback Destroyer PRO DSP1124P as a subwoofer equalizer. However, I would not buy this additional complexity if I don't hear a quantum leap in sound quality.

Does anybody know or have any experience with this device? Is it worth it. It sells for $119.00 on the Behringer website: http://www.behringer.com/DSP1124P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited:
R

rumble

Audioholic
You say your sub sounds great now but have you measured the frequency response? All you really need to measure the frequency response of your sub is some a way to generate low frequency tones and a spl meter. That would tell you if your sub is creating any big peaks or dips. The bfd is used to smooth the response out.

Here are a couple of good links describing how to measure your subs response and how to use the bfd to "fix" it up.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030201100845/www27.brinkster.com/jmag999/

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/BFDComprehensiveSetupGuide.pdf

You can also sometimes get pretty dramatic changes simply by moving the sub to a different location in the room. You may get a better set up just moving measuring and changing the position of the sub.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The DSP1124P will dramatically improve the bass you're getting. I virtually guarentee it- probably about 1 room in 1000 can't be made to sound better under 100 hz with good parametric EQ. The Behringer is a bit of work to set up, though, and the manual sucks the big one. But if you take the time to dial it in, the results will astound you.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i finally found a supplier for the BFD that actually sells them cheap 144USD.

my question is this, I dont have an SPL meter, I dont have a mic to link to the PC, I dont have the software ... will installing this PLUG AND PLAY improve my subwoofer performance?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Plot your response first, then decide based on that if you really need one. I was going to get one, but with my new sub, I pretty much don't need one anymore.

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Doesn't this thing also work with the mids and highs also?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is actually designed for full range, it isn't designed to be used specifically with a sub. It can adjust across whatever range you pass through it.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
How many different setting changes can you make with it? Say if you bought 2 - 1 for the subs and the other for the fronts - how many adjustments can you make on the fronts? Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
20 per channel, which is probably more than should be needed or is advisable.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
edwelly said:
How many different setting changes can you make with it? Say if you bought 2 - 1 for the subs and the other for the fronts - how many adjustments can you make on the fronts? Thanks!
If you need to adjust the sub and mains, I would recommend skipping the FBD and getting the Behringer DCX2496. It has 3 inputs and 6 outputs. It can perform parametric corrections but can also be used as an advanced crossover system, to yeild optimal integration of the subs/mains.

-Chris

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
so ... will it improve the performance of a sub if just plugged and played?

no SPL meter (costs about half of the BFD) and stuff

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
ptalar said:
I have an SVS PB12-plus/2 sub and it sounds great. However, I understand it would sound better if I had ordered it with the para equalizer for another $200 more so that I can tailor the sub to the room acoustics. I have been advised to get a Behringer Feedback Destroyer PRO DSP1124P as a subwoofer equalizer. However, I would not buy this additional complexity if I don't hear a quantum leap in sound quality.

Does anybody know or have any experience with this device? Is it worth it. It sells for $119.00 on the Behringer website: http://www.behringer.com/DSP1124P/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Thanks,

Phil
Phil, you don't want that one, you want this one http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It has an RTA and 10 band PEQ and GEQ and a bunch of other stuff you wont use. Used in conjunction with the ECM-8000 mic http://www.behringer.com/ECM8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG you will have a powerful tool and can measure the rest of your system as well. Without the RTA you are only guessing and could end up making the system worse than it is. I have one and love it. It cost more and you will need a few extras too, the mic and adapters for RCA to Balanced but its worth it. If you had some way to accurately measure your sub then you could use the other one, but you would want to disable the feedback destroying part. I have one and love it. It has a little learning curve but its not that bad. The manual does suck eggs though that part is very true.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jeffsg4mac said:
Phil, you don't want that one, you want this one http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It has an RTA and 10 band PEQ and GEQ and a bunch of other stuff you wont use. Used in conjunction with the ECM-8000 mic http://www.behringer.com/ECM8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG you will have a powerful tool and can measure the rest of your system as well. Without the RTA you are only guessing and could end up making the system worse than it is. I have one and love it. It cost more and you will need a few extras too, the mic and adapters for RCA to Balanced but its worth it. If you had some way to accurately measure your sub then you could use the other one, but you would want to disable the feedback destroying part. I have one and love it. It has a little learning curve but its not that bad. The manual does suck eggs though that part is very true.
How can the [what appears to be] coarse resolution of the RTA on the DEQ2496 measure and provide useful information concerning bass response in order to apply corrections with the parametric equalization feature?

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mike c said:
so ... will it improve the performance of a sub if just plugged and played?

no SPL meter (costs about half of the BFD) and stuff
If you do not have accurate measurements/plots of the bass response, you can not apply effective correction(s).

-Chris

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
WmAx said:
If you do not have accurate measurements/plots of the bass response, you can not apply effective correction(s).

-Chris
right ... thanks WMAX. i have to start another fund then ...
0% funds saved for SMS-1

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
WmAx said:
How can the [what appears to be] coarse resolution of the RTA on the DEQ2496 measure and provide useful information concerning bass response in order to apply corrections with the parametric equalization feature? -Chris
In the picture you are looking at the GEQ display, not the RTA. RTA has 61 bands and you can set it to see in increments of 1db. Pretty accurate stuff. It is a pro piece of gear. Take a look at page 14 and 15 of the manual and you can get a better look at it. That display changes to different pages depending on what you are doing, It is also an accurate SPL meter too. Very cool piece of gear.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jeffsg4mac said:
In the picture you are looking at the GEQ display, not the RTA. RTA has 61 bands and you can set it to see in increments of 1db. Pretty accurate stuff. It is a pro piece of gear.
The 61 band RTA divides across 20-20,000 Hz bandwidth. This can not provide sufficient resolution for an accurate bass analysis that is needed to apply parameteric corrections.

-Chris

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
WmAx said:
The 61 band RTA divides across 20-20,000 Hz bandwidth. This can not provide sufficient resolution for an accurate bass analysis that is needed to apply parameteric corrections.

-Chris
Chris you are wrong and obviously have never used one. It has about 20 or 25 bands from 20 to 250 and that is more than accurate enough to calibrate a sub. I did mine and then checked it with tones. My bass is flat as a ruler from 27 to 80 except for the nulls.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jeffsg4mac said:
Chris you are wrong and obviously have never used one. It has about 20 or 25 bands from 20 to 250 and that is more than accurate enough to calibrate a sub. I did mine and then checked it with tones. My bass is flat as a ruler from 27 to 80 except for the nulls.
Jeff, that is equivalent to a 1/6th octave analysis. You can not accurately measure and compensate Q, frequency and gain with that resolution. High Q anomolies will be missed by this coarse analysis. If you were to measure the response using a higher number of sample points, you could achieve much better correction(s). To correct optimally using that coarse of measurement in the bass range would be co-incidence, or no high Q problems existed in your circumstance in the first place.

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis