Beginners First Post

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
Would like to say hi to all and of course ask my first dumb question.

Just got into HT purchased a very inexpensive RCA 6.1 1000w rated HT at Walmart. 200w front speakers, 200w center speaker, 200w subwoofer, 200w rear surround speakers.

My friend has a pawn shop and has a pair of Pioneer M551 floor standing speakers, these are 3in1 speakers with a 12" woofer. He also has a pair of liquid cooled floor standing speakers 4in1 or 5in1 not for sure of brand name havent seen them yet. Both sets are rated at 150w.

Question is can these speakers be used as the front left and right of HT system and does anybody know anything about liquid cooled speakers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I would like to know what the heck Im doing when I look at them this weekend.

Thank You
D-troit

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome:)

"Liquid" cooled likely only refers to the tweeters which are ferrofluid cooled. It allows better heat shedding and also acts as a damper for the tweeter. I can't say I've seen any other types drivers that use fluid cooling, but they may exist.

"Very inexpensive; Walmart" and "200 watts per channel" don't really go together, so ignore that rating entirely since it is almost assuredly some kind of numbers game by which they arrived at that rating in order to make it look better to the consumer. If you check around, you will notice that there really aren't any receivers out there that claim, let alone deliver, 200w @ 8 Ohms. If the rating isn't given at 8 Ohms, then I would be cautious about driving larger, more demanding speakers off of this receiver.

If you can give us the model of the HT system, we may be able to dig up some info and give you a more specific answer than that.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I would like to add that unless "your friend" that owns a pawn shop is truly your friend & i mean life long friend from your childhood that you hang out with on weekends then stay away from pawn shop junk,the only way deals ca be had at pawn shops anymore is pure luck & knowing the exact used value of whatever it is your looking at.

Also keep in mind that with the explosion of ebay over the last decade anything of real value that pawn shops take in for pennies on the dollar goes straight to ebay for top dollar & is not sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would say if you wanted to get some Loud speakers, go for the Pioneers, but they aren't going to produce accurate sound (bloated bass they will have).

Pawn shops are worse in larger cities, because the people that own/run them are smarter. The small city pawn shops like the ones in Fort Wayne, IN are kinda stupid and sell things for insanely cheap at times (I got a Kenwood KM-106 power amp for $20 the other day which is just plain stupid, it means the person that hocked it only got $5 for it), and it does require luck and skill (lots of knowledge on the value of things. Quite basically, if you don't know what it is then stay away from it in pawn shops. Chain pawn shops like Cash America allow full refund returns within 7 days and most others will give you a day or two if you ask them politely that if it doesn't work or you don't like it that you be able to return it (most cases they don't care if you like it or not, but if it is broken they will accept a return on some occasions). Most pawn shops also have a 30 day in store credit return policy, but inner city pawn shops are more stingy and you may have to put up a good (pleasant argument) or you may be stuck with it.

That Wal-Mart system is crap with other speakers. It was designed to work optimally with the sub/sat configuration and not really anything else. All the bass is forceably put to the subwoofer (as it should be) and higher frequencies are sent to the satelite (small) speakers. The Pioneers would sound aweful with this system. I would advise getting a stereo receiver from a refurb distributor from Harman Kardon or Onkyo, or maybe a surround sound receiver if you think you will upgrade to surround sound later on.

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
Thanks folks Im really impressed with the response. Most forums would of had some body tell me go read some threads which I will do anyhow.
Im not home right now and cant remember which model it was, RCA Ht for 149.00. Im sure its hyped way out of proportion to what it really does. Im gonna upgrade soon as I get the funds.

The reason for the question on the speakers was this is a friend who runs a pawn store here in East Tenneesse. Moved from Detroit 10yrs ago and now enjoy the mountains surrounding Knoxville. Thank God for small favors! Anyway he is letting me have the speakers at cost $20.00 for the Pioneers and $40.00 for the liquid cooled. Thought I would check them out for use in future applications.

Man I got a feeling theres some far out folks here on this forum.
So Im gonna try to respond with this lame poem I just made up.

I once looked at a man and hated him
I hated him for what he was
As the years went by I discovered
That what I really hated was the reflection of me in him.

Sincerely Will reedit with model # when I get home tonight
D-troit

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Be sure to let us know the brand of the liquid cooled speaker before you buy, if they are KLH or some brand with the word "DIGITAL" or "THEATER" in it, then don't buy it.;)

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
Be sure to let us know the brand of the liquid cooled speaker before you buy, if they are KLH or some brand with the word "DIGITAL" or "THEATER" in it, then don't buy it.

Thank you Seth, will follow your advise. Will not be so eager to buy now that I know there is great support on this site. Probably will get up there tommorrow will post what I find.

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
If you can give us the model of the HT system, we may be able to dig up some info and give you a more specific answer than that.

Model # RCA RT-2770. Went and looked at the speakers. Pioneer CS-J7001. They were dirty but worked, decided to buy them the only surprise was instead of the $20.00 price he gave me they were $20.00 a piece. The liquid cooled were gone didnt think to ask him what they were the place was packed.
Ive been searching the site some and know folks are spending lots of money for systems. Makes my little investment of $149. + $40.00 with tax and speaker wire around 225 seem incinificant.
Anyways got them home, cleaned them up real good got the furniture polish out, and must say they look pretty good
Hooked them into my system and again was surprised to find they have a real nice sound. My cousin also gave me an old AWIA powered sub woofer 150w. Took the two front speakers from the RCA setup and added them to the rear RCA surround speakers, they had brackets where you could stacked them on the rear surround speakers.
Overall Im really pleased with the sound. Seems as though the receiver is handling the added speakers quited well. Seems to get better sound with the RCA audio cables- Audio out STB to Audio in Samsung 37" LCD.
Audio out RCA cables to Audio in RCA receiver, this mode displays on the receiver as TV/analog but am sure it is digital. Also have Optical cable from STB to RCA receiver, this mode displays as Sat/Optical.
Overall I would say I have a good Stereo system, but leaves a lot to be desired as a true surround sound. Oh well will begin to improve on that as I can afford it. Thanks everybody for listening

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai

Model # RCA RT-2770. Went and looked at the speakers. Pioneer CS-J7001. They were dirty but worked, decided to buy them the only surprise was instead of the $20.00 price he gave me they were $20.00 a piece. The liquid cooled were gone didnt think to ask him what they were the place was packed.
Ive been searching the site some and know folks are spending lots of money for systems. Makes my little investment of $149. + $40.00 with tax and speaker wire around 225 seem incinificant.
Anyways got them home, cleaned them up real good got the furniture polish out, and must say they look pretty good
Hooked them into my system and again was surprised to find they have a real nice sound. My cousin also gave me an old AWIA powered sub woofer 150w. Took the two front speakers from the RCA setup and added them to the rear RCA surround speakers, they had brackets where you could stacked them on the rear surround speakers.
Overall Im really pleased with the sound. Seems as though the receiver is handling the added speakers quited well. Seems to get better sound with the RCA audio cables- Audio out STB to Audio in Samsung 37" LCD.
Audio out RCA cables to Audio in RCA receiver, this mode displays on the receiver as TV/analog but am sure it is digital. Also have Optical cable from STB to RCA receiver, this mode displays as Sat/Optical.
Overall I would say I have a good Stereo system, but leaves a lot to be desired as a true surround sound. Oh well will begin to improve on that as I can afford it. Thanks everybody for listening
Glad you like your new system. For future reference, you may try the "quote" button when quoting another poster. Your quotes do not appear as quotes and run into the body of your post.

Welcome to the forum!

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
Thanks Johnd Ive tried to use the quote button but it quotes the entire message. When I c/p just the part I want it doesnt show up in blue, is t
here a way to do both. Thank You As you can tell Im new on the comp. also

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Johnd Ive tried to use the quote button but it quotes the entire message. When I c/p just the part I want it doesnt show up in blue, is t
here a way to do both. Thank You As you can tell Im new on the comp. also
[ q u o t e ]text to be quoted[ / q u o t e ]

It will look like this on the forum after you close the spaces between each character starting and ending with the brackets.

text to be quoted
To include the username.

[ q u o t e = U s e r n a m e ]text to be quoted[ / q u o t e ]

And with the spaces closed starting with each bracket and ending with each bracket it will look like this.

Username said:
text to be quoted

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
When you press the Quote button it quotes the entire post but you can edit it yourself. Just delete anything you don't want and make sure the part you want to quote is between quote tags. Tags start with [ followed by the tag name and ending with ]. The end tag is the same but with a / before the tag name.

You can also use other formatting like italics and bold.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You can also break down to reply to different parts. Just copy the quote tag at the end, and paste it at the end of the response you want to answer. Post your answer, and then copy and paste the quote tag at the beginning, and move it to the next part you wish to respond to. Be sure to copy and paste the ending quote tag at the end as well.

You can also break down to reply to different parts.
Respond

Just copy the quote tag at the end, and paste it at the end of the response you want to answer.
Respond

Post your answer, and then copy and paste the quote tag at the beginning, and move it to the next part you wish to respond to. Be sure to copy and paste the ending quote tag at the end as well.
And, respond again.

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
You can also break down to reply to different parts. Just copy the quote tag at the end, and paste it at the end of the response you want to answer. Post your answer, and then copy and paste the quote tag at the beginning, and move it to the next part you wish to respond to. Be sure to copy and paste the ending quote tag at the end as well.

Respond

Respond

And, respond again.
Thanks folks, dont know what this is gonna look like but am trying to follow your directions, if this reply comes out all messed up just shoot me in the leg and throw me in the alley. Well it did

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You forgot the [ / q u o t e ] at the end of the quote.

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
I think I forgot the quote at the beginning of the quote also. lol

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
Im sorry man I messed that quote up so bad all I can do is sit here and laugh at myself

D

D-troit

Enthusiast
Yes, you did.

You can also open-up two browsers, such as I did here, and respond to more than one post all at the same time.
Well let me try this, I right clicked the quote button first, hit copy, then went back and hit quote button again which brought the reply to thread window, hit paste at end of quote, lets see what happens.

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Why hit copy? The quote button quotes the post and there is nothing else to copy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis