Beginner speaker help

J

jgervais80

Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

I'm still a bit new to this hifi audio hobby and I'm in the process of building my system, but I was hoping you could help me. There's sooo much to choose from and I don't have a lot of places to go to sound test speakers here in Houston- believe it or not. So I'm relying mostly on specs and suggestions. Perhaps you could lend me your advice?

I'm trying to determine:
1. Bookshelf or floor-standing (considering room size and subwoofer)
2. Which set of speakers to buy

I'm limited to only about $800 but may be able to go a little more. (I'm a teacher, so I'm perpetually broke)

My setup:
NAD C338 integrated receiver - 50W x 2 Continuous Power into 8 or 4 Ohms.
*I will definitely consider adding a power amp later
Subwoofer: SVS - SB2000 - 500W (powered)
Turntable: Audio Technica

Room size: 15x15 (Square) with a large doorway :(

I was considering this speaker once it becomes available:
Speakers I'm considering:
Tekton Mini Lore
Polk Monitor XT70
Focal Chora 806
*Obviously I'm open to suggestions on speakers not listed here.

Thank you in advance for all of your help. You guys (and gals) are awesome.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'm trying to determine:
1. Bookshelf or floor-standing (considering room size and subwoofer)
Well the first question I have, is whether the bookshelves need mounts or stands which aren't free.

2. Which set of speakers to buy
...I'm limited to only about $800 but may be able to go a little more. (I'm a teacher, so I'm perpetually broke)
...*Obviously I'm open to suggestions on speakers not listed here.
KEF speakers are always a good option, although I don't know exactly which model(s) would fall directly in your budget.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, expect to add $100 to $200 for speaker stands if you go with bookshelves, depending upon the style you want and how sturdy they are.

I keep forgetting about the Fluance. Heco Aurora 700 is also supposed to be a bargain but comes in at $1100.

J

jgervais80

Enthusiast
Well the first question I have, is whether the bookshelves need mounts or stands which aren't free.

I would most definitely need to get stands, but I can purchase them later, so that's not a deal killer.

KEF speakers are always a good option, although I don't know exactly which model(s) would fall directly in your budget.
I have looked at some of the KEF speakers, and I think I can fit the q150 into my budget. The only thing I worry about is how full the sound will be. I have a subwoofer to take care of the lower frequencies, but I would like to get something that is full in the mid and highs.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have looked at some of the KEF speakers, and I think I can fit the q150 into my budget. The only thing I worry about is how full the sound will be. I have a subwoofer to take care of the lower frequencies, but I would like to get something that is full in the mid and highs.
KEFs have a pretty full lower midrange / upper bass.

J

jgervais80

Enthusiast
KEFs have a pretty full lower midrange / upper bass.
Since I have a pretty dynamic sub, I was hoping to fill in with clarity and detail. Something that sounds really full. I am definitely open to getting some Kef speakers. I just want to make sure I wouldn’t be better served with something with a bigger sound. Some twinkle as well. Something with a good tweeter. I’ve never heard Kef speakers, but just looking at them I’m worried about their ability to cover a wide range of sound.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The KEF Q series driver is a concentric speaker. Bass/mid driver with a tweeter mounted in the centre. They are particularly good in the midrange for vocals. Not at the same level as the LS 50 Meta but still a good speaker in that price range. If you're not in a hurry I would wait for Shady's next review series.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is the speaker that you're considering once available?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi jgervais80,
I suggest you look at HSU's CCB-8s. I own 3 CCB-8s across the fronts in our 5.2.4 Atmos Home Theater Setup in the Games Room. At $700 USD a pair they are simply amazing; and according to many, sound far better than speakers 2 or 3 times their cost. They are very efficient and will easily fill your room, and will blend well with your SVS - SB2000 Sub.

Audioholics did this review here:
Hsu Research CCB-8 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Many other credible sites (like AVS Forums) also did rave reviews on them. When I was "in the market" I read everything before purchasing them. I did so without ever hearing them, and even imported them into Canada. Even after a couple of years, I'm still impressed.

Now you can get them with Black or Yellow Cones. These Speakers come with a warranty of 7 years. There's also a 30 day in home satisfaction guarantee. So if you don't like 'em (which I doubt) just ship them back for a refund. If you need stands, I found some inexpensive, but very decent looking ones, on line at exactly the recommended height. So if you go with CCB-8s, message me and I'll give you the details.

I doubt anything else comes close to these. Most reviewers like James Larson say they intend to buy some for themselves.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would also consider these guys here.

And these if they go on sale. These are refurbed at 419ea but I think someone posted a link where they were 599pr.

Lots of other good suggestions already made too. Just wanted to add to your list!
And thanks for being a teacher. It’s a sometimes thankless job that I have much respect for.

J

jgervais80

Enthusiast
Hi jgervais80,
I suggest you look at HSU's CCB-8s. I own 3 CCB-8s across the fronts in our 5.2.4 Atmos Home Theater Setup in the Games Room. At $700 USD a pair they are simply amazing; and according to many, sound far better than speakers 2 or 3 times their cost. They are very efficient and will easily fill your room, and will blend well with your SVS - SB2000 Sub.

Audioholics did this review here:
Hsu Research CCB-8 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Many other credible sites (like AVS Forums) also did rave reviews on them. When I was "in the market" I read everything before purchasing them. I did so without ever hearing them, and even imported them into Canada. Even after a couple of years, I'm still impressed.

Now you can get them with Black or Yellow Cones. These Speakers come with a warranty of 7 years. There's also a 30 day in home satisfaction guarantee. So if you don't like 'em (which I doubt) just ship them back for a refund. If you need stands, I found some inexpensive, but very decent looking ones, on line at exactly the recommended height. So if you go with CCB-8s, message me and I'll give you the details.

I doubt anything else comes close to these. Most reviewers like James Larson say they intend to buy some for themselves.

Thank you so much for this rec.! I'm looking into them now, but you make a good case! Much appreciated. :)

J

jgervais80

Enthusiast
I would also consider these guys here.

And these if they go on sale. These are refurbed at 419ea but I think someone posted a link where they were 599pr.

Lots of other good suggestions already made too. Just wanted to add to your list!
And thanks for being a teacher. It’s a sometimes thankless job that I have much respect for.

Very kind of you to say. Thank you.
Also, thank you for your recommendations. I appreciate you taking the time.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thank you so much for this rec.! I'm looking into them now, but you make a good case! Much appreciated. :)
Another positive for these speakers is you can add one (which I did) as the center channel in a home theater set-up. Due to the speaker's coaxial design there is no "lobing" effect (interference of adjacent drivers in a typical center channel speaker playing the same signal) which greatly improves the sound. I simply rotated the center CCB-8 on it's side.

J

jgervais80

Enthusiast
Another positive for these speakers is you can add one (which I did) as the center channel in a home theater set-up. Due to the speaker's coaxial design there is no "lobing" effect (interference of adjacent drivers in a typical center channel speaker playing the same signal) which greatly improves the sound. I simply rotated the center CCB-8 on it's side.
No kidding!? That's awesome! I'm purely looking for speakers for music, at this point. I'm assuming you just use the audio out coax output on your receiver. Can this same thing be accomplished using the NAD C338? Here's the back of the component.
NAD C338.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No kidding!? That's awesome! I'm purely looking for speakers for music, at this point. I'm assuming you just use the audio out coax output on your receiver. Can this same thing be accomplished using the NAD C338? Here's the back of the component.
View attachment 50434
No. It’s a reference to the speakers design. Being a coaxial in that the tweeter is nestled into the woofers center. Coaxial meaning shared axis.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis