Beginner speaker help

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Very kind of you to say. Thank you.
Also, thank you for your recommendations. I appreciate you taking the time.
Your quite welcome. There’s an endless list of speakers out there. Good thing is there’s enough people here to help narrow it down. If you can call all of the suggestions including shadys list that Lol.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic

Scroll down and you can review some of Amir's speaker reviews, which are mostly bookshelf.

I have JBLs most recent bookshelf Stage A130 for both DD movies and some internet and satellite music. They are on sale right now. Look at JBL and Crutchfield website for speakers and google for independent reviews. More expensive, doesn't always mean better sounding. JBL is noted as a speaker mfg for years, with multiple models to choose.

Good luck on one's speaker decision!

Last edited:
J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Hi jgervais80,
I suggest you look at HSU's CCB-8s. I own 3 CCB-8s across the fronts in our 5.2.4 Atmos Home Theater Setup in the Games Room. At $700 USD a pair they are simply amazing; and according to many, sound far better than speakers 2 or 3 times their cost. They are very efficient and will easily fill your room, and will blend well with your SVS - SB2000 Sub.

Audioholics did this review here:
Hsu Research CCB-8 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Many other credible sites (like AVS Forums) also did rave reviews on them. When I was "in the market" I read everything before purchasing them. I did so without ever hearing them, and even imported them into Canada. Even after a couple of years, I'm still impressed.

Now you can get them with Black or Yellow Cones. These Speakers come with a warranty of 7 years. There's also a 30 day in home satisfaction guarantee. So if you don't like 'em (which I doubt) just ship them back for a refund. If you need stands, I found some inexpensive, but very decent looking ones, on line at exactly the recommended height. So if you go with CCB-8s, message me and I'll give you the details.

I doubt anything else comes close to these. Most reviewers like James Larson say they intend to buy some for themselves.
I'll second the CCB-8 recommendation. I have them in a 2.1 system. Right now I'm running them full range, augmented by a VTF2 mk3 sub in a ~15x20x8 room. [I just purchased a high-pass crossover from Hsu ($100) to relieve the CCB-8s and my main amp from producing below 80 Hz, as I'm running an old-fashioned stereo pre-amp with no bass management.]

They have dynamic headroom and a big sound: huge and deep sound stage and razor-sharp, spooky-real imaging. Sound great whether you're listening to action movies, stadium rock, pop, jazz, electronica, opera, or symphonies.

The other advantage--provided you set them up correctly with extreme toe-in and 36"-high stands--is their ability to conjure a centered and stable stereo/phantom-center image even if you sit off-axis from the MLP. No narrow and restricting head-in-a-vice sweet spot. This is great for social listening and movie night, without needing a center speaker. Most everyone in a very wide sweet spot will hear a decent centered image. In my set up you can sit 4-6 ft off of the MLP and still hear a centered stereo image. It's a great option for watching movies with a 2-ch system. And due to the CCB-8's articulation, movie-dialogue intelligibility is excellent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis