Beginner looking to improve sound quality.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
most subs made by the big names including the Velodyne can do well.
I do agree that Velodyne make good subs. I only suggested updating op's Velodyne because it's a relatively small 10" 150 watt sub. However, if it is a sufficient size for the room I'm not automatically assuming it's a "bad" sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You do want a decent quality subwoofer. They are not all created equal. Monoprice has been knocking it out of the park lately with their sub lineup and in fact may be becoming the new value leader for quality subwoofage.
Small clarification, Monoprice's Monolith line of subs has been knocking it out of the park, the subs merely "Monoprice" branded I think haven't joined this effort.

@Brettkw, curious, when you did hook up the Velodyne, did you set speakers to small and what crossover did you use? Did you use the "double bass" setting? Did you use the Onkyo's AccuEQ setup program, or ?

I'd judge a sub on its capabilities/accuracy rather than worry about what some might prefer it for in the way of "music vs movies" which isn't an issue for a well designed sub.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents, as all seem to agree the first move is a Sub, so please focus on what's available for the Australian market as Brettkw did advise the budget was 6-8K AU. (Which is worth a little more than the Canadian Loonie.) We should be able to find something decent for a fraction of his Budget. Room size will be key as well.

Perhaps Brettkw can advise a website or two where we can see what's available down under?

B

Brettkw

Audiophyte
Hi all. Firstly I want to say a massive thank you to you all, for your input and not making me feel like an audiophile lepper!

As an update I am now looking at purchasing a new sub as my first part. As stated in my first post I have a budget of up to 2k for this and I am currently looking at

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/svs-pb-1000-pro-ported-box-home-subwoofer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsvnGtovv8wIVmnwrCh0pNguNEAQYAyABEgJUdPD_BwE&utm_campaign=gs-2020-03-13&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_medium=smart_campaign&utm_source=google&variant=39476067532957
the sales person recommended this https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/subwoofers/products/rel-serie-t-5x-subwoofer I also like thishttps://www.spacehifi.com.au/audio/speakers/subwoofers/klipsch-spl-120-subwoofer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJWRwozv8wIVRCQrCh1EewBJEAQYAyABEgJgtfD_BwE. I am slightly concerned of diminishing returns due to my room.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Out of those 3 I'd stick with SVS, though I'd look at the PB-2000 pro to start with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi all. Firstly I want to say a massive thank you to you all, for your input and not making me feel like an audiophile lepper!

As an update I am now looking at purchasing a new sub as my first part. As stated in my first post I have a budget of up to 2k for this and I am currently looking at

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/svs-pb-1000-pro-ported-box-home-subwoofer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsvnGtovv8wIVmnwrCh0pNguNEAQYAyABEgJUdPD_BwE&utm_campaign=gs-2020-03-13&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_medium=smart_campaign&utm_source=google&variant=39476067532957
the sales person recommended this https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/subwoofers/products/rel-serie-t-5x-subwoofer I also like thishttps://www.spacehifi.com.au/audio/speakers/subwoofers/klipsch-spl-120-subwoofer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJWRwozv8wIVRCQrCh1EewBJEAQYAyABEgJgtfD_BwE. I am slightly concerned of diminishing returns due to my room.
The Rel is simply overpriced for an 8" sub. Won't perform as well as the SVS either, and I'd go for the PB1000 out of that bunch unless you need a small box?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The SVS PB-2000 pro fits under your budget and has rave reviews. I'd suggest doing the Subwoofer crawl with your present sub to find out the best location for your new Sub once you finalize the location for the rest of the gear. Once you get buy in from your wife (WAF) perhaps then we can help you tweak things further.

Then if needed purchase a SVS Soundpath Wireless Audio Adapter so you don't have to run an interconnect cable to the Sub from the Receiver. This may help you with WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor!)

B

Brettkw

Audiophyte
Ok so today I purchased an SVS 1000 pro and OMG, I plugged it in run the audessyeq and this thing is amazing! I did look at the 2000 but got cut short at the size (my missus has never complained at size before!!!). I have not changed any settings so I presume there is more in it but at the moment it’s like Christmas!!! I cannot thank you all enough in pointing me in the right direction, you are all legends!

I did have a look at some speakers and fell in love with the Kef Q950’s, Focal Quora 826 and some B&W 600 series anniversary edt ( I know it was mentioned to avoid Kef Q950) but boy do they look good!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ok so today I purchased an SVS 1000 pro and OMG, I plugged it in run the audessyeq and this thing is amazing! I did look at the 2000 but got cut short at the size (my missus has never complained at size before!!!). I have not changed any settings so I presume there is more in it but at the moment it’s like Christmas!!! I cannot thank you all enough in pointing me in the right direction, you are all legends!

I did have a look at some speakers and fell in love with the Kef Q950’s, Focal Quora 826 and some B&W 600 series anniversary edt ( I know it was mentioned to avoid Kef Q950) but boy do they look good!
Those KEFs sound really good. Frankly, I would avoid the B&W gear!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another satisfied by good subwoofage!

May I say that your cooperation has made this thread a rather pleasant experience! So many people underestimate and dismiss subwoofer recommendations, thinking we're just a bunch of bassheads. There's more to it than just thump and boom, huh? Good clean bass has a way of cleaning up the whole performance.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General

I thought you were heading down the Bookshelf Speaker road when you posted about the KEF Q350 earlier. Are you now looking towards new Towers?

I too had a WAF issue when redesigning our Games Room Home Theater setup (Atmos) during our renovation a couple years back. She (influenced by her Interior Designer no doubt :rolleyes: ) didn't want anything "big" and we compromised. We solved it by moving to HSU CCB-8 Bookshelf Speakers across the Fronts (HSU recommends a 36 inch high stand to get the CCB-8s to ear level which could help you overcome some of your placement issues). The CCB-8s are the best Bookshelf Speakers I've ever heard, and the reviews on them have all been over the top. There is no problem in filling the Games Room (about 320 square feet) with quality sound. So don't dismiss Bookshelves for your application.

Our Top Six $700/Pair Bookshelf Speaker Picks for 2021

Yes, the HSU CCB-8s are there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok so today I purchased an SVS 1000 pro
So which one did you get? PB or SB? There's a pretty big difference in performance between the 2. The PB is capable of more deep bass output.

B

Brettkw

Audiophyte
I thought you were heading down the Bookshelf Speaker road when you posted about the KEF Q350 earlier. Are you now looking towards new Towers?
Hi Jim, I would certainly look at bookshelf but I thought maybe due to room size and layout I would have been better off getting towers. The Kef Q350’s are very nice and well within budget!

B

Brettkw

Audiophyte
So which one did you get? PB or SB? There's a pretty big difference in performance between the 2. The PB is capable of more deep bass output.
Sorry good point! I got the PB.

I will say after listening last night (and whilst it sounds a million times better than it did) at loud volumes (70 on the amp) it feels like I now need to turn the treble down as it seems very harsh at the highs but if I do this, whilst the lows are still great it sounds muddy (after reading on this I belive it’s called “bright”?) at around 60 it fine. Would this have anything to do with running the Yamaha NS-555 bi-amp?

Attachments

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I for one am going to hop of the subwoofer bandwagon and point out the numerous shortcomings with the room, at least with the pics you provided. Speaker positioning, big table, reflective surfaces on one side , open on the other. Imaging has got to be a disaster.

I'm not sure what options, given that it is a 'living environment' first and foremost but if 2 channel perfection is your goal you have some real challenges.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
According to Yamaha: "To further maintain signal purity, Yamaha provides bi-wiring capability for the NS-555 speakers. There are separate +/- terminals for the woofer(s) and other driver(s). The separation reduces modulation distortion and better sound quality. "

Most folks here think bi-amping is just a waste of wire, regardless of what OEMs pitch in their literature. IMHO they is no sonic benefit to it, nor should their be any audible degradation if proper cables are used.

I assume you let Audyssey do the correction as best it could. Then you listened to it and found it "harsh" and then tweaked it manually, but were unsatisfied with those results as well. Where did you put the Sub?

Try pulling your NS-555 speakers out and away from the Fireplace wall to the front edge of the Fireplace Hearth Extension. If you can, pull the left one to the left to get more separation. Toe them in a little bit. Then re-run Audyssey and advise. Your Room challenges are probably impacting the sound quite a bit.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Jim, I would certainly look at bookshelf but I thought maybe due to room size and layout I would have been better off getting towers. The Kef Q350’s are very nice and well within budget!
Your WAF and room challenges may be better served by Bookshelves. As the HSU CCB-8s setup with a major toe in, that may mitigate some of your reflective issues along the left side (windows) when facing the fireplace, and open dining area on the right.

Last edited:
J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Your WAF and room challenges may be better served by Bookshelves. As the HSU CCB-8s setup with a major toe in, that may mitigate some of your reflective issues along the left side (windows) when facing the fireplace, and open dining area on the right.
I have the CCB-8s in a 15x20x8 room, with a wide expanse of sliding glass doors along the right long wall and an open dining area on the left rear. The controlled directivity of the CCB-8s, along with Hsu's recommended extreme toe-in, indeed mitigates that. A bonus of extreme toe-in with the CCB-8s also is a super-wide sweet spot where listeners far off-axis of the MLP still hear a solid, centered stereo image/phantom center that doesn't collapse to the speaker nearest you (so you don't necessarily need a center); that's great for social listening. Dialogue intelligibility is excellent, as is razor-sharp imaging and expansive sound staging. The CCB-8s also have no problem with stressless dynamics in my room. Blockbusters like Kong: Skull Island, rock music, and power classical like Mahler and Wagner are no problem. They're spec'd to take 400w. I drive them with a 250w/ch Bryston 4BST amp, crossed over @ 50 Hz to a Hsu sub.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I have the CCB-8s in a 15x20x8 room, with a wide expanse of sliding glass doors along the right long wall and an open dining area on the left rear. The controlled directivity of the CCB-8s, along with Hsu's recommended extreme toe-in, indeed mitigates that. A bonus of extreme toe-in with the CCB-8s also is a super-wide sweet spot where listeners far off-axis of the MLP still hear a solid, centered stereo image/phantom center that doesn't collapse to the speaker nearest you (so you don't necessarily need a center); that's great for social listening. Dialogue intelligibility is excellent, as is razor-sharp imaging and expansive sound staging. The CCB-8s also have no problem with stressless dynamics in my room. They're spec'd to take 400w. I drive them with a 250w/ch Bryston 4BST amp, crossed over @ 50 Hz to a Hsu sub.
in the world of 2 channel stereo extreme toe in makes sense for near field listening only. In no way can it preserve a well designed soundstage at preferred listening distances.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Au contraire. Time/intensity trading actually works. It does require speakers with a more consrained dispersion pattern, but it does work and produces a huge, stable sweet zone. That such speakers can mitigate a lively room is an added bonus.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis