P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Hi I just got a calibrated mik from cross spectrum labs and have a laptop with HDMI. I’m using a Yamaha 3050 and need help understanding REW where to start? I’m gonna run ypao first to get my speaker distances set and change my size of my speakers to small for my subs. When I calibrate my system should I have my receiver set to 0 dB for main volume as a reference level for the pink noise? I also have dual pb2000s and need to level match them and figure out what dB volume level to set both too?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno if you’ve watched this: good place to start.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I watched it he didn’t really go over the spl meter on REW and leveling the system? Only did the measuring part and multiple seating.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
From REW (there are some other good tutorials on AVS and HTS as well)

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I can use this for every speaker and sub in my system right? I only ever saw people do their fronts and subs. How does the measure work in REW? I know you use it to get a flatter response how does that actually work exactly?

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Also why does it say to use ASIO? Everything I watched and read said to use java?

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
That’s super confusing that people recommend java then other ASIO

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I had to download java to install REW do I need to download ASIO?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi I just got a calibrated mik from cross spectrum labs and have a laptop with HDMI. I’m using a Yamaha 3050 and need help understanding REW where to start? I’m gonna run ypao first to get my speaker distances set and change my size of my speakers to small for my subs. When I calibrate my system should I have my receiver set to 0 dB for main volume as a reference level for the pink noise? I also have dual pb2000s and need to level match them and figure out what dB volume level to set both too?
I would think that YPAO should be "plug and play" just like Audyssey does. If so, you simply plug in the mic that comes with the RX-A3050 and follow the onscreen instructions. It has nothing to do with REW at all, totally independent, but I think you know that so I am not clear what you are asking.

If you have questions about REW, it is better ask all your questions in point from so we can address them one by one. The following websites should have all the info you need:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll tell ya what seemed to work best for me was having rew generate some filters and apply those before I ran audyssey. After audyssey I would go back in and tweak just ever so slightly for a flat response.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're just doing your subs with REW then start that way without YPAO, and after REW consider then running YPAO to integrate with your speakers....

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
If you're just doing your subs with REW then start that way without YPAO, and after REW consider then running YPAO to integrate with your speakers....
How is it different if I run ypao first? Wouldn’t that set the distance and delays then REW can level everything afterwards?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How is it different if I run ypao first? Wouldn’t that set the distance and delays then REW can level everything afterwards?
What do you mean REW can set everything? You have a sufficient minidsp to handle your whole system? That would make running YPAO even less useful.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I’m only running ypao for the distance to fit the delay of my speakers for my room then using REW to set the levels

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think so, keep in mind REW cannot EQ without additional hardware. I used the minidsp 2XHD and found without or without REW on top of XT32 made no meaningful difference, may be 1-1.5 dB improvements for a few points, not really worth the effort and expenses. Pogre was able to make more gain so it depends. Also, it may work better with YPAO.

I now have the minidsp back in the box doing nothing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what is your system and what exactly do you want REW to do?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think so, keep in mind REW cannot EQ without additional hardware. I used the minidsp 2XHD and found without or without REW on top of XT32 made no meaningful difference, may be 1-1.5 dB improvements for a few points, not really worth the effort and expenses. Pogre was able to make more gain so it depends. Also, it may work better with YPAO.

I now have the minidsp back in the box doing nothing.
Okay, yeah... I was thinking op had a MiniDSP. I'm putting the cart without the horse!

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Just what is your system and what exactly do you want REW to do?
I just want to get better volume levels for my speakers and subs. I also have dual subs so I wanna be able to match them to the same gain output so they are in sync with each other. I used ypao already and then calibrated everything with a spl meter but the meter is digital so I had to take the median of the number displayed it wouldn’t really sit at one place. I set my subs with it also but that was hard to find a good number for them because the meter was all over the place. So I got a mik for REW to use that so hopefully that can do sweeps and stuff that’ll give me some better stable numbers. Idk anything about the measurement tab though or flattening out the response for all my speakers and subs. I was just gonna start with the spl meter on REW and see where it takes me. I kinda messed up with ypao cause I didn’t know that set the delay of the speaker through the distances. I thought it was how far the speaker is away from your central seating position I did the old fashion tape measure for that. I also messed up on the subs with the spl meter I didn’t know that both the subs output was supposed to equal 75db. I set both subs each to 75 so the combined outputs probably like 82-85 dB which is almost 10 dB higher then my speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis