lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just want to get better volume levels for my speakers and subs. I also have dual subs so I wanna be able to match them to the same gain output so they are in sync with each other. I used ypao already and then calibrated everything with a spl meter but the meter is digital so I had to take the median of the number displayed it wouldn’t really sit at one place. I set my subs with it also but that was hard to find a good number for them because the meter was all over the place. So I got a mik for REW to use that so hopefully that can do sweeps and stuff that’ll give me some better stable numbers. Idk anything about the measurement tab though or flattening out the response for all my speakers and subs. I was just gonna start with the spl meter on REW and see where it takes me. I kinda messed up with ypao cause I didn’t know that set the delay of the speaker through the distances. I thought it was how far the speaker is away from your central seating position I did the old fashion tape measure for that. I also messed up on the subs with the spl meter I didn’t know that both the subs output was supposed to equal 75db. I set both subs each to 75 so the combined outputs probably like 82-85 dB which is almost 10 dB higher then my speakers.
Seems you're slightly mixing up several concepts/gear. Volume levels overall are the area of amplification, not dsp; you can adjust individual channel levels perhaps. You can research gain matching subs (vs level matching), perhaps something like this thread could help. You should familiarize yourself with the new measurement mic with the REW software, there are tutorials in several fora (and REW's official help is at both their own site and avnirvana).

YPAO is one way to calibrate and apply basic eq, manually is another. Using YPAO as a base might be helpful, might not. With REW alone you could setup your subs/speakers to a degree, but without additional gear you can't apply eq to your whole system except manually thru the avr's PEQ. Basically I think you just need to spend some time reading/researching to gain a better handle on using the tools involved.

REW and a mic basically just provide measurement ability, you need additional dsp (like a minidsp 2x4 unit) to apply particular adjustments for level/delay/eq generated via REW, and with an avr only like you have that means just the subs (you'd need outboard amps for all your speakers and a minidsp with more channels if you want to do the speakers as well via the REW/minidsp route....).

Last edited:
P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I understand everything!!! I just want to gain and level match my subs and speakers with more accuracy then a spl meter. I was gonna get a mini 2x4 hd for my subs but Idk anything about it and I heard if you put the wrong frequencies into it and play the subs too loud you could damage your subs. Since I need the extra tools/technology to eq everything but don’t understand it I’m not gonna buy and attempt it. I’m just looking to balance the systems sound out. I have a medium small room right now so I can’t play around with placement of my subs or anything. So I’m just gonna do the basics and maybe someday when I have a bigger area to really equalize everything I’ll get into the more advanced set up. Do you need the mini dsp to phase the subs to the speakers? My svs subs have a knob to adjust a little more accurate then the switch.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I’m looking to do just basic spl leveling with REW is there any setting I need to change so I get measurements correctly? Should I use java or ASIO for HDMI? Also to measure in REW does that require a mini dsp to use the measurement tab?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is there a problem with letting YPAO set your levels and delays? I think at the most basic level, that’s what all room correction software gets “right.” At least with Marantz and Denon running Audyssey, you can turn it off and preserve those settings.
For the sub phase, I would always start those off at zero. Having a friend’s assistance is great for this. Sit at your LP, playing a good bass track through your subs and have your friend turn the dial on one first, then the other. Your goal is for the bass to sound the best at your LP,. Cost: a six pack. :p
After all of that, run YPAO again to confirm everything.
Then, at least with REW, you can play your test tones through your AVR and calibrate the levels to the appropriate Reference Level SPL to suit your taste.
I have not used REW to either check phase, or to program a DSP like the 2x4.
:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m looking to do just basic spl leveling with REW is there any setting I need to change so I get measurements correctly? Should I use java or ASIO for HDMI? Also to measure in REW does that require a mini dsp to use the measurement tab?
For what you want to do, Java should be all you need. If I remember right, some old REW versions include Java but the newer ones require it to be separately installed if not already.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I downloaded java and ASIO separately everyone told me to use ASIO. I really don’t know what to do with this thing people aren’t really helping me very much telling me 2 different things.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I found asio to be more of a problem than anything.
Make sure the spl meter in rew is set to C-weight, slow response. It won’t stop moving, so you might want to watch it for 10-20 seconds and mentally average the measurement and adjust as needed. Once you move the level up/down observe it again to make sure it’s in the range you want. Turn off one sub, then set the the level for the active one , then turn off/on opposite subs and set the level again. Then turn them both on and set the level where you want. There’s not an exact number, but I usually like 73db individually for duals as this usually gets to 75db combined. Then go to the measurement tab, and click it. It should bring up some parameters. Set the top to 105 and the bottom to 45. Left side to 10hz and right side to 200hz. It will check levels and usually-25 or -20 works for me. Click measure, and you should hear a sweep tone starting really low, going up until 200hz. You should see a graph showing the response of your room. At that point you can see many things like XO range, low end extension peaks and valleys etc. That will give an idea of what to fix. And maybe how. Looks like this.

This was post EQ and house curve but you can see anyways...

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
I’m trying to use ASIO for multi channel leveling but it’s not working any way around it?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I downloaded java and ASIO separately everyone told me to use ASIO. I really don’t know what to do with this thing people aren’t really helping me very much telling me 2 different things.
I thought I answered your questions (asked in your post#23), in my post#25. Which part of it not answered?

If "everyone" told you to use ASIO, when what did you mean by "people aren't really helping me very much telling me 2 different things..."

Just noticed your post #28, that's a new question and I am not clear what exactly do you mean by "...multi channel leveling....", would you mind clarifying it a little? For example, did you mean fire up the speakers one at a time, and use the mic and REW's pink noise and the onscreen meter to show the spl and then adjust the receivers individual channel level settings? It would be easier for people to be "really helping..." if they understood clearly what you wanted to do.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Java only lets me pick left and right speakers not any of my surround speakers or subs everytime I click on subs it comes through the speakers. ASIO allows you to pick any speaker to use the REW spl meter on but it’s not working

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Java only lets me pick left and right speakers not any of my surround speakers or subs everytime I click on subs it comes through the speakers. ASIO allows you to pick any speaker to use the REW spl meter on but it’s not working
Use the REW spl meter with the Yamahas test tones.

P

Polish023

Junior Audioholic
Yes. Don’t use asio.
Use the test tones in the AVR, with the REW SPL meter.
Thank you very very very much!!!! I spent 5 hours messing with everything to get it working. That worked right away!!!! It worked so much better than my regular spl meter your a life saver!!!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you very very very much!!!! I spent 5 hours messing with everything to get it working. That worked right away!!!! It worked so much better than my regular spl meter your a life saver!!!
My recommendation for it was the driver FWIW.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis