Bathys: Focal Headphone Goes Full Wireless Noise Cancelling... and More!

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Focal has finally launched its first Bluetooth headphone with ANC, Bathys. Built in the style of Focal's classic closed-back headphones, Bathys sees Focal's high-end functional form and raises it a pair of swivel earcups for easy, flat storage into its a narrow carrying case. The wireless audio tech is aptX Adaptive and of course the Bluetooth default SBC for Android and AAC for iOS. It has three ANC modes that include Soft (low) and Silent (high) noise cancelling effect and a one-button accessible Transparent mode that lets you quickly pass environmental sounds to your earcups just in case you thought you heard something going "bump" in the night. Because you can't be too careful when walking around the big city with your headphones on.

The unexpected surprise is Bathys unique DAC mode, ostensibly this is just another USB sound mode. The difference with Bathys' USB DAC mode is it presents Bathys to your USB-connected OS as a DAC, letting your compatible music apps access it in exclusive mode for the finest source-file sound quality available in true lossless or hi-res audio. Bathys isn't just a wireless ANC headphone, it can also replace my passive outdoor headphones and portable DAC/Amp combo.

Learn More About Focal Bathys
Bathys-case2.jpg

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
Ya you have a point. Maybe I'm being too harsh. I'm sure he put a decent amount of work into it. It's good information. I guess I just find it reads a little bit too much like an ad to me. Anyways, carry on Audioholics. You guys mostly do great work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lots of Wayde's "reviews" are more on the subjective/personal side....and I don't find them particularly useful.

fxn

fxn

Audiophyte
The review says these headphones don't support MQA, but I am able to enable "Passthrough MQA" in TIDAL.

Doesn't that mean that the DAC of the Bathys is decoding?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis