Bass radiator question

F

Fuze84

Audiophyte
Just a quick question regarding the bass radiator on my left speaker when I play music or movies it doesn't seem to be moving at all like the radiator on the right is this normal? Im running a denon 3600h with definitive technology d17 speakers, thanks for the help!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The left vs right side radiator on the same speaker or are you comparing between the L/R speakers? If the latter could be content difference....what are you using for source material to determine?

F

Fuze84

Audiophyte
I'm comparing the L/R speakers, I was playing music through you tube and put stereo on the avr?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm comparing the L/R speakers, I was playing music through you tube and put stereo on the avr?
What happens when you play a regular music file that you own or test tones from your reciever? Also, you really shouldn't see your cones "moving" unless when being over driven.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Swap them left to right speaker and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't, then it isn't a problem. If it does, then there could be an issue with the speaker that has that behavior. Does it actually sound different, like something is missing, or does the sound seem normal?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just a quick question regarding the bass radiator on my left speaker when I play music or movies it doesn't seem to be moving at all like the radiator on the right is this normal? Im running a denon 3600h with definitive technology d17 speakers, thanks for the help!!
I think both passive radiators should move. My hunch is that the bass driver of that speaker has become disconnected, probably during shipping.

The best thing to do is to get out your multimeter and measure the resistance of both speakers at the input terminals. Since the mids and tweeter have caps in series, you will only be measuring the DC resistance of the driver and the series resistance of the inductor to the woofer. My hunch is that you are going to find an infinite resistance on that speaker.

I don't want to hear you don't have a multimeter. If you are in this hobby, that is part of the basics, so if you don't have one, go out and buy one.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Also make sure that the jumpers are making a solid connection between the binding posts.

F

Fuze84

Audiophyte
Thanks guys for the help, iv made sure all the wiring is connected properly, I was playing music through direct mode and both passive radiator's behave exactly the same and kick in like I expected, I think I need to re run audessy because it has changed something in the other modes or maybe it just depends on the content..

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys for the help, iv made sure all the wiring is connected properly, I was playing music through direct mode and both passive radiator's behave exactly the same and kick in like I expected, I think I need to re run audessy because it has changed something in the other modes or maybe it just depends on the content..
Content is the likely answer. Never trust YouTube or similar as you're never gonna be sure of the source when something sounds off.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis