Basic Job Of An Av Receiver

R

rawheadrex

Audiophyte
Can someone please answer the following question which I'm finding hard to get a straight answer for. Am I right in thinking that the basic job of an av receiver (apart from upgrading picture and sound quality) is to manage your home cinema and hi fi equipment . You plug your av receiver into the sat / cable / ariel connection on the wall, you then connect your equipment to the av receiver and it enables you to use it without hassle? Thanks in advance.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Correct, Think of the Reciever as the brains of your HT. I will say some don't touch picture at all except to pass it through to your tv but the reciever takes what you plug into it like cable,sat,cd,dvd bluray, and does the decoding for you so the signals are correct when you watch or listen to them. Pretty much that's it but there are some exceptions such as letting your BD player do the decodeing but for the most part your reciever handles it all.:cool:

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
If I understand your question correctly, then my answer would be: No.

Your cable box / sat receiver / and TV are what gets hooked up to the wall outlets you described (the exception being your FM tuner could be hooked up to the aerial.)

Then those devices get hooked up to the AVR which handles the source switching and audio duties.

Last edited:
Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I suppose considering the receiver as a "processing center" is probably a good description, but in some cases this is not so.
Probably for the average person with some sort of a home theater system the receiver is the brain of the system. It may also dramatically reduce the wiring clutter most of us deal with and have dealt with forever.
Todays receiver, using hdmi,component,etc, is the hub. The cable box/set top box will take the signal from the wall outlet and send it to the receiver. The DVD/CD/Blu-Ray/etc. player will send the signal to the receiver. Gaming systems will do the same.

The signals from each, and others not mentioned, device may or may not be "processed" in some fashion but rather input through the receiver and output directly to the tv. It depends on the device, how it is connected and what you want or don't want the receiver to do with that signal.

The ability of the receiver to control, process, etc. the signals is dependent on the features of the receiver.
The receiver may offer the capability to control all incoming/outgoing signals but you still have to manage how you want each device to be managed.
Today's receivers also offer, maybe well done or not so much depending on the quality of the receiver, some sort of audio calibration, equalization, room management for the audio signals. Depending on the quality of the system used by the receiver this can provide an improvement in sound for the system/speakers.
In general while the receiver is a "hub" you still have to control how the signals are input/output and processed for each device by the receiver by how you set up the receiver, how the devices are connected and what you want the receiver to do. The remote is the key here and understanding how the receiver handles/converts/passes through/etc. all the signals requires knowledge of the system. It's not hard but does require reading and practice for a bit. Like all things the more you practice/use something the better you get.

Last edited:
Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
As mentioned above and in a nutshell - what you need in a receiver is what you want/need it to do for your particular setup. The basic purpose is to provide surround sound power to your speakers (and possibly video to your display) - and there are many "extra features" available. ;)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Your typical AVR is several different components in one. It is a tuner usually. It is a switch (multiple inputs to a single output) that often includes format conversion. It is a processor/decoder and DAC. It is a pre-amp. It is an equalizer. It is an amplifier.

It serves every one of these functions, and all are used when you watch TV.

But yes, if you would like to abstract this: it's what you put all your sources into that lets you pick from them and converts them for your outs (speakers / monitor)... the hub of your AV system

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis