GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I realize that this won't be at - or even close - to the top of must-see movie lists for most (any?) Audioholics forum members. It certainly wasn't for me and wasn't even on my radar. Anyway, last night after supper, my wife says, "I picked us a movie to watch". I was intrigued, because she doesn't normally pick the movies we watch. Over the years, she has liked - or tolerated - most of my picks, so I told myself that I would watch hers no matter what it was. While I finished cleaning up in the kitchen, she headed to the rec room to cue up the evening's entertainment. I should have realized that something was up when she said, "Before you come down, you may want to pour yourself a dram". Needing little encouragement, I did just that. I was halfway down the stairs, drink in hand, when I stopped in my tracks as I saw what was on the screen. "Ummm, did you rent this?", I said. "No", she responded. "It just became available on Crave". So, we watched it. And....I didn't hate it.

The themes are as subtle as a 2 x 4 across the forehead. Barbieland is a utopia, because it's run by Barbies, while all the Kens are dim-witted, emasculated, and treated with mild contempt by all the Barbies. It's supposed to be a role-reversal compared with the "real" world. Of course, the real world is more complicated than that. When Margot Robbie's Barbie and Ryan Gosling's Ken find themselves in the real world and discover that Barbieland isn't a reflection of reality, Barbie has an existential crisis, while Ken - discovering the "patriarchy" - thinks, "Ooooo, I want some of this".

There's little room for nuance in this movie and that is probably my biggest beef. That aside, I thought the script was good and the performances - especially from Robbie and Gosling - were brilliant. In fact, Gosling absolutely stole the show. He was hilarious as Ken.

The last twenty minutes dragged a bit, as the movie took on a more serious tone, and I was looking forward to it ending. But overall, I enjoyed it. Will I watch it again? "Never" is along time, but I don't foresee myself wanting to see it again. So, if a significant other asks you to watch it, it's just a couple hours of your life. It won't kill you and who knows, you may be able to tolerate/enjoy it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Subtle, no. But, amusing. Gosling really dug in on this one. Guy can actually sing, dance, act and is funny. Robbie is as charming and attractive as always. I want to see these two together in a really killer action movie.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
It's available to me on my HBO Max subscription and I've been meaning to watch it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I actually have minus interest in this lol. Aside from the trailers, I have two teenagers who’ve seen it, boy and girl. They both said it’s woke ass garbage. Modern feminist(delusional) man hating, emasculating crap lol. I’ll take their words for it.
Of course Margot Robbie is delicious as usual.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I actually have minus interest in this lol. Aside from the trailers, I have two teenagers who’ve seen it, boy and girl. They both said it’s woke ass garbage. Modern feminist(delusional) man hating, emasculating crap lol. I’ll take their words for it.
9ussy.
:p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not gonna lie… enjoyed this when a friend brought the disc over to watch.
Had a lot of hilarious moments, and really went all in on making fun of toxic masculinity.

My favorite line now is: “Brewsky-Beer me, Babe!” :D The lady says I can use that once, and only once. I’m banking that for a bad day. ;)

Gosling was outstanding in this, and overall, the movie was fun. Lot of eye candy.

I could go a year without pink in my life, though. o_O

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Had a lot of hilarious moments, and really went all in on making fun of toxic masculinity.

My favorite line now is: “Brewsky-Beer me, Babe!” :D The lady says I can use that once, and only once. I’m banking that for a bad day. ;)

Gosling was outstanding in this, and overall, the movie was fun. Lot of eye candy.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I’ll try it with the sound off!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I went into the theater having no idea what it was about.

I thought it was hilarious. Dumb as hell, but hilarious. Ryan stole the show.

I told my wife that it's the millennial white girl's Blazing Saddles.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

I think the funniest for me was Ken (Gosling): "To be honest, when I found out the patriarchy wasn't about horses, I lost interest anyways."

jinjuku

jinjuku

My wife picked it for movie night. Neither of us made it 1/2 way.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Some of my wife's friends from her bridge group wanted to watch it here. So I got the Atmos version of Barbie.

We watched last Tuesday. I expected it to be rubbish, but it actually wasn't for the most part.

What I did note was that it was superbly produced, both the A and the V. The sound was phenomenally good. The voices were particularly clear and natural throughout with not a word or syllable missed. Instruments and sung voices were first rate, for actually a very immersive experience.

My brother James told me that most of the movie was made in my home county of Kent UK. He tells me that more movies are now being made in Kent than Hollywood.
His youngest son William was one of the chief lighting engineers. He trained and got his degree in this aspect of theater arts from Rada. He was chief of stage lighting for the English National Opera. They have been forced to move from London to Manchester, under government "levelling up" plans. However, he is now kept busy by the growing movie industry in Kent.

The UK has invested heavily in training for theater arts and Tonmeister degree program like Surrey University offers. So this will pay off with better results from those that dedicatedly learn their craft rather than the OJT route.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like your kids ! :)
As if either of you even understand the meaning of woke.....except in the perverted republican interpretation.....just sad. I expect it of Mikado, not so much William....but wtf.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I will just stick with Blue Velvet.
I don't think "Green Acres, The Motion Picture" is ever coming though. My life is pointless.
Sam Drucker was a man for all ages.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis