Banana Connectors YES or NO?

M

memanuel70

Enthusiast
Any Pros and Cons on using Banana Connectors on speaker wire , i have heard myths of advantages and dis advantages of using them but would like some feed back I'm thinking of purchasing a set?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're simply about convenience, makes it easier to connect/disconnect. No sound quality advantage (unless you attach one poorly I suppose, you could degrade it). I like the Sewell Silverbacks for the double set screw to keep the wire in place vs the tool-less crimp style. If you want to read up on speaker wire in general try this http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I use them for connections on back of the receiver, easier to be able to just plug in the banana plugs rather than tighten down posts in tight areas, less likely to have a strand or so of speaker wire touching something. On back of my speakers I just use bare wire and I check to make sure they are still tight from time to time.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What “disadvantages?” I’ve never had any problem with mine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Enthusiast
They're great if you do a lot of connecting/disconnecting. Otherwise I prefer spades.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
They're great if you do a lot of connecting/disconnecting. Otherwise I prefer spades.
I prefer spades too, but some component manufacturers use terminals that make large spades difficult to use. ATI, for example, on their amps, so I use bananas for my amp connections. On AVRs there sometimes isn't space to safely use large spades and heavy gauge cables, so banana plugs are often the best solution for AVRs too.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I use the speaker wire from Blue Jeans cable withe locking bananas. They work very well, and you just insert and turn them for a nice tight fit. I don't think there are any disadvantages to using bananas.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I finally found the bananas I've been looking for on Parts Express. They will take 10 gauge wire, have a nice deep wire crimp area, crimp and solder easily with my 60 watt iron, and don't cost an insane amount of money. I don't see the need for locking ones, but if I could find ones like the PE ones with the lock feature, that would be perfection.

https://www.parts-express.com/gold-plated-crimp-on-banana-plug-16-pcs--091-350

Now I need to find someone to buy all the brand new Nak Banana plugs I won't be using.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I just switch over to banana plugs. They are much easier to work with than trying to "thread" bare wire into the back of the binding post (and chewing up the wire from trying to screw down the post).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
+1 for Blue Jeans Cable locking banana plugs. It's all I use now. I know 12 gauge fits with plenty of clearance, so 10 gauge should also fit fine.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Banana plugs are very convenient. I have used them on all my Yamahas the past 20 years including when I moved around a lot and had to setup my receiver pretty often. I don’t normally use them on the speaker end, just the receiver end.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are literally dozens of threads on this topic on this forum alone.

I found zero difference between spades and banana plugs, so it is a personal preference. I prefer BFA style bananas on the speaker side and locking ones on the amp side.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
On my speakers I did find one difference between the spade and banana plugs. The spades loosened up on me. Come to think of it, so did the cheap Monoprice banana plugs, so I switched to Blue Jeans Cable locking type and haven't looked back.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bananas are basically springs and they can lose some tension just by the process of connecting them to the binding post. I have had them come loose too, just slipped out of the back of the amp enough to have one channel go quiet. That's why I switched to locking ones on the amp side. I was troubleshooting a bunch of stuff only to find it was the plug and it is a bigger pain to get back there. On the speaker side, I've had bookshelf speakers pulled over by the locking plugs, so I'd rather have them come out than stay.

Then there's the fact that not every binding post is created equal, so a certain plug may not fit every post well. I use the BFA type because they're the easiest to spread wider to always get a snug fit.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Banana plugs are soooo convenient, I can move equipment and speakers in and out of my system more quickly and with much greater ease than if I used an alternative speaker wire attachment method. Only downside is if you are sometimes clumsy and trip over speaker wire you could of course pull the plug right out of its terminal. Such an event happened to me the other day while I was maneuvering behind my audio/video cabinets to hook up my new OPPO. Now, as far as sound or circuit safety goes, I have not had any indication of banana plugs being a weak link.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Now that I'm getting into old receivers, I'm thinking of building a patch panel where I can put any of my 4 receivers to my front speakers just by switching the plugs around. Using bananas minimizes the strain on the original speaker connection on the old receivers, and switching to another receiver will take seconds. I just need to figure out what the layout is going to be, a vertical bar arrangement that will be visible, or a hidden horizontal one. Probably the latter, I guess.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I'm not a fan of Banana connectors, but it's simply a personal preference of mine.

Pros ... a Banana has at least the potential to create simple, electrically stable connections that are easy (and in particular, quick) to make and break. Compared to some audio connections (RCAs for example, which has no standard specification), due to the fact that they are derived from those used in electronic lab equipment, they are more dimensionally standardized.

What I dislike about them? Well, even though there are standard dimensions to follow, many audio manufacturers don't follow them with any consistency or precision, so there is no guarantee of a sufficiently tight electrical fit.

What I find to be worse, however, is the physical fit, which might introduce the risk of loose Banana connectors shorting out inadvertently, say, if the cat steps on a speaker cable and the fit is not gas-tight.

A well designed connector should be idiot-proof and in particular short-proof; there are dual Bananas available in the market but HiFi examples are typically two single connectors (for + and -) which can touch, partly due to the longer dimensions.

It's not something spades eliminate entirely, but they tend to be more securely fastened at the loudspeaker end. There is much less need for standard dimension when you can screw down the connection in the manner of a spade and binding post, so typical variations in dimension are less of a problem there.

The mass varies widely and there is a school of thought in audio that says the mass of each mating surface should be as similar as possible. Bananas tend to be lighter construction than spades, and binding posts much heavier than them. You might dismiss that as "snake oil" although certainly it's something that is always taken into account when any connector is designed, so at least the engineers who do that work seem to agree it's important.

When it comes to Audio, the only true properly designed connectors, ones that take everything into account including which polarity makes first contact (to eliminate brief bursts of hum should the power not be attenuated when making or breaking connections, a failure of the RCA connector) are XLR and BNC connectors.

The only speaker connection that maintains the advantages of XLR and BNC is Neutrik's speakON. Again, rare in HiFi, even though it would probably only need to be at the loudspeaker input alone. Perhaps someone should suggest to speaker manufacturers to offer a dual-connection type option, but just like many other superior connection methods*, they would add cost and wouldn't be popular with lower cost products that comprise so much of the speaker industry.

At the higher end, where cost would not be an issue, they are viewed, like many things that come from the Pro Audio segment, as inferior sonically (which is highly debatable, but a manufacturer will go broke forcing consumers to accept something they dislike for any reason, real or imagined).

We have to make do with what we have. Bananas have advantages and disadvantages but they are not perfect, so can't be said to be the ideal solution, although the typical alternatives have their own issues as well.

The "cousin" of Bananas, the pin connector, has the same advantages of spades and meets more closely the similar mass requirement, but they are not a quick connect option, so they have similar disadvantages as spades as well.

Best electrical connection is probably bare wire, but wire can be brittle and break at the connection, especially if it's made and broken repeatedly, or subject to bend stress. Bananas are best if you exercise the connection repeatedly, and spades the best if you only do so occasionally. But in all cases there are advantages and disadvantages.

* The classic cases familiar to most people today is IEEE 1394 vs USB. Both are open specification (no royalties or limits; developed by Apple and Intel, respectively), but there is a difference in the robustness of the connectors themselves as well as the protocols. IEEE 1394 (aka "Firewire") requires no CPU cycles to interface, everything necessary is in the chip itself, so that a camera can interface with a hard drive, for example.

USB does, so if you want to do the same thing, the camera must have a CPU somewhere, yet because the chip for IEEE 1394 cost about two dollars more than the USB chipsets (resulting in a $10 retail price disadvantage), manufacturer's shunned it.

SONY's attempt to mitigate the cost of a six-pin IEEE 1394 by introducing their own, 4-pin unpowered version didn't help, creating market confusion and compatibility issues.

That is the same problem facing the speakON connector. Although speakON is a trademark of Neutrik (just as Firewire is a trademark of Apple) there are generic versions available (called "speaker twist connector").

Note: even a USB 1.x interface can easily handle the required data stream for an audio CD, so there was also no real need for the IEEE 1394's much higher transmission speed. USB 2x can handle high resolution audio and video. speakON has a 40 Amp rating, more than enough for most high powered amplifiers, a higher current version is also available.

Last edited:
Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
At the end of the day, it's personal preference. However, if you think you're EVER going to be swapping out equipment at some point, you'll be really glad you did. Especially if your gear is in a cabinet. Makes life so easy to just pop out the cables. Personally, I hate using bare wire/binding posts when working in a tight spot. Hate it even more when I have to pull the equipment for one reason or another. I love my banana plugs (and spades sometimes depending on the equipment) and there's no going back for me. That said, not all plugs and binding posts are made alike. Some definitely have better fits than others. I've come to really like most of the Sewell ones. The Deadbolts and Silverbacks are both kind of my go-to. I like to match them up to the look of the binding post, but I'm OCD like that. I like my installs to look cleeeeeeean. :cool:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The classic cases familiar to most people today is IEEE 1394 vs USB. Both are open specification (no royalties or limits; developed by Apple and Intel, respectively), but there is a difference in the robustness of the connectors themselves as well as the protocols. IEEE 1394 (aka "Firewire") requires no CPU cycles to interface, everything necessary is in the chip itself, so that a camera can interface with a hard drive, for example.

USB does, so if you want to do the same thing, the camera must have a CPU somewhere, yet because the chip for IEEE 1394 cost about two dollars more than the USB chipsets (resulting in a $10 retail price disadvantage), manufacturer's shunned it.

SONY's attempt to mitigate the cost of a six-pin IEEE 1394 by introducing their own, 4-pin unpowered version didn't help, creating market confusion and compatibility issues.

That is the same problem facing the speakON connector. Although speakON is a trademark of Neutrik (just as Firewire is a trademark of Apple) there are generic versions available (called "speaker twist connector").

Note: even a USB 1.x interface can easily handle the required data stream for an audio CD, so there was also no real need for the IEEE 1394's much higher transmission speed. USB 2x can handle high resolution audio and video. speakON has a 40 Amp rating, more than enough for most high powered amplifiers, a higher current version is also available.
What does USB versus 1394 have to do with banana plugs? Your discussion mixing USB and speakON is, to say the least, unique. The connection is completely non-obvious. (Pun mildly intended.)

Your explanation of USB versus 1394 is also incorrect. USB requires less intelligence in the "peripherals" because it has a master-slave architecture, like PCI and PCIe, as opposed to the peer-to-peer architecture used by 1394.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis