highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Temporarily.. The long term health of air travel is: that's how we get from point a to point b.. Trains and ships are a bit slow for today's traveler... The Airlines, in some form will go on..
It's true but when some people were already in the 'White Knuckle Air Force', 9-11 made some decide to stop flying completely. Airlines will continue, but they lost passengers forever. The lost passengers will always be replaced, but if an airline has a history of bad flights, they'll eventually go away. Bad experiences on flights accumulate and at some point, they need to drink, take medication or avoid flying.

highfigh

highfigh

vacations are optional by air.. lots of us live close to lots of nice vacation areas that we under use as travelers...
Air travel is optional, unless someone wants to spend the whole time going to and from a distant location.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder how much the 737Max thing also contributed to a loss in passengers....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It's true but when some people were already in the 'White Knuckle Air Force', 9-11 made some decide to stop flying completely. Airlines will continue, but they lost passengers forever. The lost passengers will always be replaced, but if an airline has a history of bad flights, they'll eventually go away. Bad experiences on flights accumulate and at some point, they need to drink, take medication or avoid flying.
the heyday for business travel (air) was for sure the eighties and I was fortunate enough to be part of it. Today, nothing more than a Greyhound bus with wings .....

highfigh

highfigh

the heyday for business travel (air) was for sure the eighties and I was fortunate enough to be part of it. Today, nothing more than a Greyhound bus with wings .....
Cattle car, most times.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Cattle car, most times.
funny you would say that for back in the early eighties I was in Boston quite a bit and there was a flight from Boston to San Juan with a stop in Philly that I took often(Eastern Airlines), you would be surprised as to what people brought on board that plane, chickens, yes, chickens were brought onboard(caged) and tucked under the seats !

jinjuku

jinjuku

but that gets into "trickle down" economics to which I believe is a fallacy
Even as a teenager with Reagan and his trickledown economics I thought was BS. If you're rich you have already met your capacity of debt. Anything else you have the ability to simply stick in the investment space.

If you're poor you have no choice but to spend it in the consumer space.

H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
Would hate to know I had to travel on any of the RR freight networks here in Texas, especially if I had to get somewhere...lol

H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
Nahhh.....done enough traveling by rail. Just retired after 42 years.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
funny you would say that for back in the early eighties I was in Boston quite a bit and there was a flight from Boston to San Juan with a stop in Philly that I took often(Eastern Airlines), you would be surprised as to what people brought on board that plane, chickens, yes, chickens were brought onboard(caged) and tucked under the seats !
LMAO! Chickens lolo, I was on a flight once and this young woman had a lil pig! and they let that pig on the flight all we could hear was that lil pig! going, oink oink oink! said it was her companion pet :rolleyes:

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Even as a teenager with Reagan and his trickledown economics I thought was BS. If you're rich you have already met your capacity of debt. Anything else you have the ability to simply stick in the investment space.

That's always been my thought... Poor people always spend , rich folks have lots of options... Did you ever notice? ... Rich folks get lots of free stuff ( courtesy bags at celeb events, free vegas hotel stays, ect) , poor folks pay for everything they do...

H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
gotcha by five, I had 47. what RR did you work for ?
Hired out for the MOP in 78, UP took us over in 80. I was 4th generation of my family there, Grandfather put in 50 years. The day I handed them my retirement letter, I felt like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption after he crawled outta that pipe...lol.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I believe after 9-11 the airlines were given $5 billion in direct payments and $10 billion in loans. By today's numbers that seem like peanuts LOL. I'd assume most of it went to the big airlines to maintain the infrastructure, but smaller amounts went elsewhere. Someone had to do it I guess, but seeing politicians taking PR flights and showing us it's safe is pretty sad/LOL. I couldn't do that. The bill did limit executives ability to get raises for two years. That's something, I guess.

highfigh

highfigh

You're ignoring the fact that wealthy people want things and regardless of the state of the economy, they'll get them. One thing most people can't do during hard times is spend a lot of money and this is when a lot of wealthy people build, remodel/improve homes and buy real estate. Contractors are often willing to take less, just to keep going and this keeps their companies & workers busy. Last year was incredibly busy for a lot of AV integrators and, because we do network installation/setup/repair & sell equipment, it was decided that we're 'essential'. People need connectivity- imagine not being holed up at home and unable to access the internet since last March- the death rate from COVID wouldn't seem as high as it does.

Also, the fact that people couldn't travel commercially didn't prevent them going places and RV/camper/boat sales were insane- dealers sold everything they had and are still looking for used, because they can recondition those.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Hired out for the MOP in 78, UP took us over in 80. I was 4th generation of my family there, Grandfather put in 50 years. The day I handed them my retirement letter, I felt like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption after he crawled outta that pipe...lol.
very good, I hired out with PC in '74 and retired end of last year. I assume by your 'handle' you retired as an engineer ?

jinjuku

jinjuku

You're ignoring the fact that wealthy people want things and regardless of the state of the economy, they'll get them.
That's nothing to do with the concept of trickle down economics and it's fallacy of economic stimulation. The rich don't have a maslowian requirement to spend. If you want money to go back into the economy it HAS to go the the people that are, by necessity, required to spend it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis