B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
How long did it take the dealer to get them in?
I ordered them early 2011 and at that moment there was a shortage so I had to wait 6-7 weeks. I am sure the situation has changed by now and you will have them much quicker. By the way, I live in Europe so probably a completely different situation.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
He also said the dealer cost for any of the 3 finishes are the same, but that they should have charged $1,000 for the piano gloss black.
The dealer where I auditioned the 804D told me same price for the piano gloss black. The Paradigm Signature dealers asked for a lot more money for the piano gloss black finish, something like $1,000 more, so it depends.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I think the gloss black looks better. I have seen them side by side and they're no comparison to me. Sometimes I wish I would have paid the extra $100 to piano gloss my sub - it looks great for sure.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think the gloss black looks better. I have seen them side by side and they're no comparison to me. Sometimes I wish I would have paid the extra $100 to piano gloss my sub - it looks great for sure.
I used to like gloss black, but fingerprints changed that. Matte black from now on.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I used to like gloss black, but fingerprints changed that. Matte black from now on.
Fingerprints, dust, and glare are why I bought matte instead of gloss. But the gloss sure does look great when clean - just like a black car. Most of the time it looks terrible, but for those 7 minutes that it is clean after detailing, it is great. haha

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Fingerprints, dust, and glare are why I bought matte instead of gloss. But the gloss sure does look great when clean - just like a black car. Most of the time it looks terrible, but for those 7 minutes that it is clean after detailing, it is great. haha
I meant gloss black is no good IMO on anything. Speakers, PS3, Samsung TV, etc, and cars too!

Yes, gloss black looks good for those few minutes that it is clean, but good luck keeping it clean. I have a gloss-black sports car too. When clean it turns heads. But every speck of dust, scratch, smudge, just shows up worse on gloss black than any other finish. If I ever do re-paint this car, it will be matte black (with racing black rims to boot), man that looks slick, pure business, or should I say pure bidness :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Gloss black unless you live in a pig pin, keeping it clean is simple at best in your home. I have gloss black speakers and they are easy to keep clean and as one noted why are you touching your speakers. If you have major problems with dirt or dust in your home you have worst problems to deal with, like your health. As far as cars go your on point with that, looks great after a wash and if it's not raining the shine might last a few days.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Gloss black unless you live in a pig pin, keeping it clean is simple at best in your home. I have gloss black speakers and they are easy to keep clean and as one noted why are you touching your speakers. If you have major problems with dirt or dust in your home you have worst problems to deal with, like your health. As far as cars go your on point with that, looks great after a wash and if it's not raining the shine might last a few days.
Again, I'm not talking about just speakers, but gloss black finishes in general. Anyway, surely I'm not the only member on this forum that fondles my speakers routinely ;)

I have pets = dust and hair, even though I run 2 HEPAS 24/7

And, good luck keeping fingerprints off the gloss black PS3 Phat models with the slot-loading disc drives.

Bottom line, for me gloss black is now my last choice on anything, I will avoid it if at all possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me the beauty of the piano gloss on speakers, piano, or anything else is worth the trouble of wiping off the dust.

If the 802 came in Rosewood high-gloss or cherry high-gloss, I would have gotten them. The key for me is the high-gloss. I love the piano high-gloss.

But everyone is different.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Anyway, surely I'm not the only member on this forum that fondles my speakers routinely ;)

I have pets = dust and hair, even though I run 2 HEPAS 24/7
Nope I haven't fondled my speakers in a while :eek: I got a wife for that :D but I can understand the problems with pets and their hair... PS, no inside pets here.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you touching your speakers on a regular basis?
I only touch piano gloss speakers. I never touch matte finish because they're not sexy smooth enough for my fingers. :D

I'll probably be touching the 802D2 piano gloss a few times. :eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Nope I haven't fondled my speakers in a while :eek: I got a wife for that :D but I can understand the problems with pets and their hair... PS, no inside pets here.
You let your wife fondle your speakers:D Must be love:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Speaking of fondling speakers, one of my wife's aunt and her husband came over the other day. The uncle came into my room and started touching and fondling all my speakers, placing his hand on the speaker grilles and all that. :eek:

In an attempt to tactfully get him to get his damn dirty paws off my speakers, I informed him how much these speakers cost (MSRP).

Then he attempted to physically pick up my KEF 201/2 and tried to move/ push the Salon2 to see "how heavy" they are! :eek:

The nerve of this guy. Realizing this guy is really dense and did not get my message to keep his hands off my speakers, I then turned off my system and turned off the lights. He finally got the message.

How do you guys feel about someone doing that to your speakers?

All I can say is, next time this guy comes over my house, I will be locking my HT room! :eek:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking of fondling speakers, one of my wife's aunt and her husband came over the other day. The uncle came into my room and started touching and fondling all my speakers, placing his hand on the speaker grilles and all that. :eek:

In an attempt to tactfully get him to get his damn dirty paws off my speakers, I informed him how much these speakers cost (MSRP).

Then he attempted to physically pick up my KEF 201/2 and tried to move/ push the Salon2 to see "how heavy" they are! :eek:

The nerve of this guy. Realizing this guy is really dense and did not get my message to keep his hands off my speakers, I then turned off my system and turned off the lights. He finally got the message.

All I can say is, next time this guy comes over my house, I will be locking my HT room! :eek:
No one other than my wife is allowed to touch my audio system. No one. And I'm not as polite as you are. If someone even tried to touch anything, especially the Salon 2s with those delicate drivers, they would get an immediate verbal warning, and if they ignored me I would physically guide them away. There's no question about it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No one other than my wife is allowed to touch my audio system. No one. And I'm not as polite as you are. If someone even tried to touch anything, especially the Salon 2s with those delicate drivers, they would get an immediate verbal warning, and if they ignored me I would physically guide them away. There's no question about it.
I'm going to have to adopt your no-tolerance policy from now on. That is too expensive to be "polite". :D

Especially what just happened with the delivery guy and the 802D dimaond tweeter. :eek:

I still cannot believe that idiot in-law tried to move my Salon2! Makes me mad thinking how I let him do that. Caught me off guard. Touching is already bad enough. But pulling/ pushing my Salon2? :mad:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Yeah, I'm pretty defensive of my equipment too. And when I mention MSRP that usually does the trick. The only piece of equipment that is off limits to everyone (girlfriend included) is my turntable. She didn't like being banned from the TT, but when I told her the cost and explained how delicate it is and the effort to set it up correctly, she began to understand. Also, record collecting is a hobby and my collection is not to be touched by anyone but me.

But yeah, if someone didn't get the hint pretty quickly, then I would not be tactful in telling them to step away from the speakers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to have to adopt your no-tolerance policy from now on. That is too expensive to be "polite". :D

Especially what just happened with the delivery guy and the 802D dimaond tweeter. :eek:

I still cannot believe that idiot in-law tried to move my Salon2! Makes me mad thinking how I let him do that. Caught me off guard. Touching is already bad enough. But pulling/ pushing my Salon2? :mad:
Yeah, keep the HT locked up for company. Rather, show off those nice Infinitys and the uneducated won't know the difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis