B-M-WOW! A tribute to the BMR, and my journey to them..

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For less than half the price, I think BMRs outperform the Martin Logan Motion 60XTs and Monitor Audio Silver 500s... anything else in that class, and maybe several above.
The MA Silvers were my leaders until I heard Dennis' speakers. I'm fortunate and grateful. And perhaps will never be able to shop for another speaker again. ;)
Looking really really good my man congrats!!!. Love your sub setup! Clever platforms!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like an upgrade to the rolling computer chair is next? Or is there a lazy boy recliner in there already? :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It looks like an upgrade to the rolling computer chair is next? Or is there a lazy boy recliner in there already? :)
HA!
Those photos were from today. :) I'm not a recliner or sofa kinda guy. I don't even sit at my computer anymore... standing only!
Ya, the chair isn't bad... but I DO need something moveable and upright for me. Thinking I might go Executive office chair style. In that chair, my ear-holes are about 49"H. Mind you I'm ~6'-3" standing.

Some of those executive chairs are super comfy, too! But like I said, my main consideration is a good upright back and movability.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well, it’s been a minute or two since visiting this thread... ;)
Still so much work to do in this room, but with the new BMR I picked up courtesy of a friend from that other site, it seemed appropriate to pop back in and say hello. :D

Without further ado, my front wall:

:cool:

Sent from a handheld device using a silly little app.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Still so much work to do in this room, but with the new BMR I picked up courtesy of a friend from that other site, it seemed appropriate to pop back in and say hello. :D

Damn those Salk cabinets are some sexy MFers...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Tell us about those bases for the 3's. They must be about the size of a hood off a Buick.

... and of course, "can you hear a difference"? :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Tell us about those bases for the 3's. They must be about the size of a hood off a Buick.

... and of course, "can you hear a difference"? :D
Ha!
It’s come up many times before, but because it’s you, Alex! ;)
I have a suspended wood floor that is super spongy... either wide joist, thin floor board, or both.
Regardless, I knew vibrations were going to be a problem.
Short version, after researching a lot, I came to understand that neither isolation nor coupling by themselves were a solution. The combination is.
Outrigger bars, concrete scrap from a local custom concrete shop, and isolation feet: this is what I did for my subs and Phil3s.
The concrete counter tops that were rejected by the shop were in their bone yard. I found two pieces of similar thickness and color, they cut them for me, drilled them out, sealed them... all for a very reasonable contribution to their holiday party. ;)
The isolation feet handle most of the direct energy transference, the concrete pads deaden most any residual mechanical energy transference that the feet don’t, and then the outriggers couple that system to the floor.
The only things these don’t prevent is rattling from extreme LF Waves.
The subs, directly on the floor rattled things. The subs on concrete directly on carpet rattled things.
The introduction of the outriggers, when they were finally delivered, changed everything.
It is not so much that the sound improved because of all of these things, rather the sound improved because I removed a significant amount of residual energy resonating in the structure of the house.
I will never be on board with claims about magical sound improvements from isolation and coupling... ;) ...these aren’t going to make well designed gear sound better still. They may, as they did for me, help ease other problems (which are easy enough to describe with words like “tighter bass” and whatnot).

:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s come up many times before
Out of nowhere I got busy and didn't have time to read/re-read the thread and sometimes my memory is still hurtin' from the 80's. Thanks for the post! I've got access to a chunk of granite that might work as a base for a sub project thingy down the road.

I just noticed I saw the pic's last year from the previous page. It's like I'm looking at them for the first time now though. Mind's fried.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Out of nowhere I got busy and didn't have time to read/re-read the thread and sometimes my memory is still hurtin' from the 80's. Thanks for the post! I've got access to a chunk of granite that might work as a base for a sub project thingy down the road.

I just noticed I saw the pic's last year from the previous page. It's like I'm looking at them for the first time now though. Mind's fried.
Acid burn?
*mischievous grin

Granite is a great option... perhaps the best.
Talking to one person, when I described what I was doing, she said Absolute Black Granite is probably the best in terms of an acoustically inert platform.
I also went to a major landscaper's facility: they sell lot's of quarried stone for various purposes. I got to see how some of the different material "sounded" by wrapping on it with my folded knife. Their granite just "tapped" whereas this other slab rang like a bell.
These concrete countertops that this customs shop make is loaded with aggregate material which I think is what helps make these a good platform. I've heard that good straight concrete can ring. Dunno if that is true, but these platforms are working for me! :cool:

Cheers!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

It's time for some fishing :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'll take that! What do you have in mind?
Something like a hybrid of the Mini Phil and the Affordable Accuracy. ;) I looked at Coaxial and Full Range drivers, but the cost ratio doesn't seem to stack up very well for the trade offs. In theory I should be able to spend less on a 2-way and get better results.

I think a dome tweeter, perhaps with a slight waveguide, and something like the SB Acoustics Ceramic Woofer, maybe. I like the Zaph 5" Mids too (see Mini-Phil ;) ).

The AA/AA+ in the BR-1 Cabinet is just too large, though. The Mini-Phil would be doable, but for Atmos, I want to look at slightly more controlled dispersion than the Raals offer.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Something like a hybrid of the Mini Phil and the Affordable Accuracy. ;) I looked at Coaxial and Full Range drivers, but the cost ratio doesn't seem to stack up very well for the trade offs. In theory I should be able to spend less on a 2-way and get better results.

I think a dome tweeter, perhaps with a slight waveguide, and something like the SB Acoustics Ceramic Woofer, maybe. I like the Zaph 5" Mids too (see Mini-Phil ;) ).

The AA/AA+ in the BR-1 Cabinet is just too large, though. The Mini-Phil would be doable, but for Atmos, I want to look at slightly more controlled dispersion than the Raals offer.
I agree with the Atmos. A good 3/4" high frequency driver seems more cost effective and an easier implementation. Intriguing to see what you work with. Congrats!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis