B&K 200.7 blown up capacitors

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I did. Told him it blew up 2 channels as soon as it happened... he said well it was still a good deal for a now 5 channel amp. Pretty sure he just bent me over and knows it.
If he represented it as 'in good working order', you can probably go after a refund. If it was sold 'as is', you're on your own.

B

Brendan944

Enthusiast
I think I'm going to just put it back together and resell it listed for parts or repair only. I am an honest person and dont plan on hiding the fact that I know it is broken down. It was purchased "as is" but was told it was in good working order when it was put away into storage but no longer knew of its condition after sitting. I took a risk and it didn't pay off and I know that. Still sucks... but lesson learned.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Think I just found my amp on another forum... it was purchased as is and I expected it may have some issues. I was not able to audition this amp because now I'm learning that the owner knew this thing was blowing up and did not tell me about his findings...

You can google B&K 200.7 blowing caps and find the thread on the other forum. I was told it was working when it went into storage and its current condition is unknown since he did not have the equipment to test it...

I'm not mad but do value honesty which I feel I was not given.
Yeah that's really effed up. At least when you buy off ebay you have some kind of buyer protection. I doubt it's even worth contacting the seller. You'll get the canned "it was working last time I used it" spiel.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Sorry about that but we all have done something like it. LIVE AND LEARN it’s called. Some of have done it more than once.:mad: That’s when you can be mad at yourself.

B

Brendan944

Enthusiast
I hear ya. Just going to have to save my pennies and do it right the second time around...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
First lesson on buying used....demo before you buy!
It's pretty tough to demo on eBay and on line purchases.

I seldom buy a unit I can not service myself on the used market.

I have had to service units and charged parts and labor back to the seller. eBay has always supported me and I got my service charges back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's pretty tough to demo on eBay and on line purchases.

I seldom buy a unit I can not service myself on the used market.

I have had to service units and charged parts and labor back to the seller. eBay has always supported me and I got my service charges back.
Why I generally prefer in person when buying electronics used (and not something advertised "as-is" to boot). Then again I don't have the skills or tools to repair electronics but good for you for charging it back to the sellers!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
no visually leaky caps, no bloating or scorch marks, perfect inside to the naked eye... You could tell this guy was OCD about his gear.
That little green thing looks like a capacitor to me, is that the only part that is visibly damaged? I can make out what the purple color thing is, at the bottom of the photo. You can try to replace the obviously damaged parts but should try to find the service manual, unless you can identify the part(s) clearly.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Along the same lines here it's a crying shame B&K went under. I had a HT processor from them that is still the best sounding piece of HT great I ever bought. Made right on Buffalo. I was extremely sad to see them go down.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

B

Brendan944

Enthusiast
That little green thing looks like a capacitor to me, is that the only part that is visibly damaged? I can make out what the purple color thing is, at the bottom of the photo. You can try to replace the obviously damaged parts but should try to find the service manual, unless you can identify the part(s) clearly.
Yes it is a cap, apparently a tantalum capacitor. they popped and smoked when it turned on. They may have been cracked before and I just didn't notice but they're real cracked now. I have sent a message into steve at stargate electronics to see what can be done. Also have an email into Rick's home theater repair here in St Petersburg who said they too can take a look at it for 35 bucks to assess the damage. Mostly worried about mosfet outputs being damaged, which apparently are no longer available or difficult to get the exact replacement. I have had some good responses and solid information given to me here and on another audio forum and I've learned a lot in the little time I've been dealing with this. I admit that I am very new to this kind of equipment and do understand that I've already made a fair share of mistakes here.

Going to get some quotes but if it seems like an amp I just wont ever be able to trust not to cause damage, it will be sold as broken / for parts or repair only.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes it is a cap, apparently a tantalum capacitor. they popped and smoked when it turned on. They may have been cracked before and I just didn't notice but they're real cracked now. I have sent a message into steve at stargate electronics to see what can be done. Also have an email into Rick's home theater repair here in St Petersburg who said they too can take a look at it for 35 bucks to assess the damage. Mostly worried about mosfet outputs being damaged, which apparently are no longer available or difficult to get the exact replacement. I have had some good responses and solid information given to me here and on another audio forum and I've learned a lot in the little time I've been dealing with this. I admit that I am very new to this kind of equipment and do understand that I've already made a fair share of mistakes here.

Going to get some quotes but if it seems like an amp I just wont ever be able to trust not to cause damage, it will be sold as broken / for parts or repair only.
$35 to assess damage is fair if that include providing an estimate price for the complete repair. If MOSFETs need to be replaced, just make sure they use the exact same part number or if not, provide you with the new part number so you can do our own research to make sure they are in fact suitable replacements. In some circuitry, they may need to be replaced in matched pairs in order to preserve optimum sound quality. Based on the described condition of the unit, I think it will be a minor repair with few damaged parts. Again, what is that purple thing, is it just some tool, tapes that is not part of the amp?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
How much is all this going to cost because you can get a very nice brand new Outlaw Audio amp for a good price?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

B

Brendan944

Enthusiast
$35 to assess damage is fair if that include providing an estimate price for the complete repair. If MOSFETs need to be replaced, just make sure they use the exact same part number or if not, provide you with the new part number so you can do our own research to make sure they are in fact suitable replacements. In some circuitry, they may need to be replaced in matched pairs in order to preserve optimum sound quality. Based on the described condition of the unit, I think it will be a minor repair with few damaged parts. Again, what is that purple thing, is it just some tool, tapes that is not part of the amp?
It's a small aluminum heat sink would be my guess on it. I will take better photos of the boards for you when I get home from work later today.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I disagree with that advice totally. First off it insane to spend money on an amp when the output devices are NLA. Also those amps are known to have fried speakers from DC offset. That basically means they should all be removed from service as that is a fire hazard.
I sold and Installed B&K products for years. I also have owned many of their amps and receivers plus whole house audio systems. Never did I ever see any of them cause a fire or destroy a speaker. This is news to me.
I still have my B&K CT system , a Ref 20, Ref 31 and a AVR507 S2. Where did you learn about these issues with B&K? I'm actually looking for a used 200.7 myself as I love that amp but if what your saying is true then I might look elsewhere.
Talk to me.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
First lesson on buying used....demo before you buy!
Sometimes that just isn't possible when shopping online. This is the model the world has done to as local shops are becoming more and more scarce. Years ago we had a awesome used audio video shop that got in all kinds of interesting stuff but the internet killed his business model and now we are all left with crossing our fingers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a small aluminum heat sink would be my guess on it. I will take better photos of the boards for you when I get home from work later today.
Again, it was near the bottom on the right, purple color and appeared to be totally bent out of shape and didn't look like an Al heat sink at all but it was so blurry so may be it was. Just curious that's all..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where did you learn about these issues with B&K? I'm actually looking for a used 200.7 myself as I love that amp but if what your saying is true then I might look elsewhere.
Talk to me.
TLS Guy scared the heck out of me a long time ago with the Acurus 200X3 amps.

Shortly after, I sold all 4 of my Acurus amps. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis