Axiom Subwoofer Blog

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

It sure does look they changed it. Version 1 has a much steeper roll-off than their current version past 20hz which shows one that is more gradual. Otherwise the measurement at 90db is comparable between the two. Axiom should do more articles like this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

It sure does look they changed it. Version 1 has a much steeper roll-off than their current version past 20hz which shows one that is more gradual. Otherwise the measurement at 90db is comparable between the two. Axiom should do more articles like this.
Axiom does have a history of changing products based on our review criticism. With the on-walls, I found leakage issues at low F and they changed the gasket to fix it. I found many issues with the A1400-8 and they....discontinued it :(

They are developing a new center channel with a WTMW driver configuration to address the off-axis lobing issue many consumers and industry professionals commented on with their VP150.

They clearly changed the HPF slope of their subs based on this recent article which is good news.

All in all it seems they are making product improvements as a direct result of criticism and I applaud their efforts!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I agree they should applauded for that. I think you might also see a totally revamped a1400-8 in the near future.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Axiom does have a history of changing products based on our review criticism. With the on-walls, I found leakage issues at low F and they changed the gasket to fix it. I found many issues with the A1400-8 and they....discontinued it :(

They are developing a new center channel with a WTMW driver configuration to address the off-axis lobing issue many consumers and industry professionals commented on with their VP150.

They clearly changed the HPF slope of their subs based on this recent article which is good news.

All in all it seems they are making product improvements as a direct result of criticism and I applaud their efforts!
The A1400-8 must had some major design issues that couldn't be resolved, so it was that bad that they gave up entirely?

I suggested on Axioms forum awhile ago that the VP150 would be much better if it was a centered tweeter flanked my a pair of 5.25" woofer on each side. Like the VP100 with just an extra pair of woofers.

I also noticed that some of the subwoofer drivers look new according to the pictures, new dust caps. Gallery

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
They A1400-8 had a lot of issues. They actually discontinued the product. I don't think the engineer that originally designed the amp is still with them (or just not a resident engineer for them). They actually have a new head of r&d and is quite good. If they bring the amp back, expect it to have some major changes/revisions made to it by him.

As for the driver, it might be the same driver but with a different dustcap that just matches the cone material.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis