Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's been a short road so far. There is much to fear ahead. I gotta get the thread going on a laptop to be able to get to the pic on the phone "bear" with me.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What kind of axes, axes for chopping wood? Axes to grind? Axes of evil? :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What kind of axes, axes for chopping wood? Axes to grind? Axes of evil? :)
All of the above! Chopping and splitting to be exact and I was just thinking about a 'what grinds my gears from Rich about those new head lights on cars. Lastly, I thought it was axis of evil but in either case that shoe fitting is more relavent.

Just in case he was looking to hire. :)
View attachment 64427
That's exactly how I'm gonna dress to fell my first tree. Mostly as a disguise though. I know I'm gonna look like an amatuer so ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. What was here
  2. What I bought
  3. What I really needed

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Splitting mall collection!
That Friskars is I think a splittng axe. A maul I think would be heavier.

I just got a small wood stove and got my first cord of wood, finally stacked. Like I'm 58 and the last time I swung an axe to almost amputate an ankle was like 30 years ago. But I am officially an axe wielding albeit peace loving resident of a place called Greystone.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If your as good with an axe as me, I recommend you also keep a sledge hammer and two steel/plastic wedges on hand for those tough ones with knots in the middle. ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If your as good with an axe as me, I recommend you also keep a sledge hammer and two steel/plastic wedges on hand for those tough ones with knots in the middle. ;)

That was also here when I got here. We put the stove in.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So the first real strike with the Friskars was remarkably humiliating. I would have felt some real man/ego type stuff if I had swung true but well, it didn't go like that.

However using it as prescribed was like 10X easier than anything I had done up until now. Even the sound is different. Like match sticks splitting.

So the first axe in that line up is a brutalized cheapo that sent shudders up to my teeth.

The second is a 4lb Craftsman head..

The last is the tool of choice for the task at hand. Freakin' love it.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
So the first real strike with the Friskars was remarkably humiliating. I would have felt some real man/ego type stuff if I had swung true but well, it didn't go like that.

However using it as prescribed was like 10X easier than anything I had done up until now. Even the sound is different. Like match sticks splitting.

So the first axe in that line up is a brutalized cheapo that sent shudders up to my teeth.

The second is a 4lb Craftsman head..

The last is the tool of choice for the task at hand. Freakin' love it.
FWIW, there are quite a few videos on youtube about splitting firewood with an axe. People have come up with a surprising number of ways to make it quicker and more efficient.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Just get 2 subwoofers and forget all that lumber jack stuff.

After all, this an AH thread.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My son is into refurbishing old axes, and then selling them. I went to my garage and found this old ax rusting. I was with my father in 1957 when he bought this at Sears. It’s a Sears Craftsman ax. In those days Sears axes were made by a company called Plumb. My son said I want it! He said if you remove the rest, polish it up and sharpen the edge, you can sell it for as much as $300.

Zoom in on the head of the ax in the photo. Look on the left side, and see the Plumb imprint. Ax collectors want to see the original handle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis