AVRant #22: "Live" at Clearwater Beach, FL

Matt34

Matt34

How can I preorder a XPA-5? I was talking to Emotiva via email about that amp last week, and when I asked about preordering one, I was told that they didn't think I would be able to... I think I may have to email them back.

Is there any price discount for preordering an XPA-5?
If you do find out how, make sure to pass it along.;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Any news on the Emotiva pre/pros with HDMI 1.3 and all that noise that comes with it?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you do find out how, make sure to pass it along.;)
I have been emailing back and forth with Emotiva, and I gave my contact info to get on a preorder list... I guess they will call me once they begin taking actual preorders, they don't charge your credit card until they actually ship the item. I also received word that the BPA-1 will drop to a normal price of $149 next month, right now it's on sale for $159.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
How can I preorder a XPA-5? I was talking to Emotiva via email about that amp last week, and when I asked about preordering one, I was told that they didn't think I would be able to... I think I may have to email them back.

Is there any price discount for preordering an XPA-5?
I phoned Emotiva today and I am on the list for a pre-order. The arrival time of the product is still uncertain, but they will contact me with details as the time gets closer. I forgot to ask about a pre-order discount (DOH) but still, $699 for 5x200w is good enough for me if that's what it is.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Any news on the Emotiva pre/pros with HDMI 1.3 and all that noise that comes with it?
I could not get any specific information from them regarding future pre/pros.

I also forgot to ask about their choice of bare wire 12v trigger connection vs. the standard plug connection. I notice the DSA-1 has the bare wire 12v trigger, but also has auto-sensing.

Matt34

Matt34

I have been emailing back and forth with Emotiva, and I gave my contact info to get on a preorder list... I guess they will call me once they begin taking actual preorders, they don't charge your credit card until they actually ship the item. I also received word that the BPA-1 will drop to a normal price of $149 next month, right now it's on sale for $159.
I phoned Emotiva today and I am on the list for a pre-order. The arrival time of the product is still uncertain, but they will contact me with details as the time gets closer. I forgot to ask about a pre-order discount (DOH) but still, $699 for 5x200w is good enough for me if that's what it is.

Good info guys, thanks. Yeah, for $700 that's a great deal!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, Here is what I was told by Emotiva:

Hi, Keith,

Well, for starters, the XPA-5 is going to be priced at $699, which is $200 more than the LPA-1, so it's not the cheapest amp we'll have. Secondly, the MPS-1 and IPS-1 are class H amps, with separate power supplies for each amp, which is very expensive to produce.

here's what Gene at Audioholics said about the same question on a thread on their forum:

Very simple, they are using a much LARGER common power supply instead of independent supplies for each channel. I usually prefer this method since it allows for more headroom between channels when they demand that extra power. The only real disadvantage could be a penalty in stereo separation but if designed right it may only be a measurable, not audible difference.

As far as an XPA-7, I am unaware of any plans for that at this time.

-----------------

ha...we've had a lot of questions about that amp...mostly people expressing disbelief. a lot of the price factor for us is that we own our own factory, and sell direct from it...no middle man. most companies pay a company like us to develop a product for them, and then have to pass that cost to the customer.

if you want to preorder, just send me your full name, address and phone, and i'll put you on the waiting list. we won't take credit card numbers yet, since we don't charge unless we actually ship a product.

----------------

well, it's the same chassis as the LPA-1, but a little bit heavier, so I'm gonna estimate about $50 to ship. We may end up doing something special on preorders with shipping, not sure yet.

d.g.

---------------

Keith, the BPA-1s are dropping to a new price of $149 each next month - just so you know...

and yes, the XPA is A/B, with a 12 volt trigger.

d.g.

L

Lonnie

Enthusiast
Will there be floorstanding speakers and a center channel to match? Any color options other than black?
We have a lot of things in the works right now, but floor standing speakers I am sorry to say is not on the list.......Yet.

Anyway, the speakers have matched polar responses so they will sound the same whether they are horizontally as a center channel or vertically for a left or right channel. We did this so that the timber match and blend across the entire front stage would be perfect.

Also, they will only be offered with a non-reflective satin black laquer finish.

If you want any of the specs, just let me know. :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
All I want to know right now is when the XPA-5 will begin shipping!

Matt34

Matt34

Just got a email back, Emotiva is NOT taking pre-orders on the XPA-5, just the speakers.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I hate when a new product is announced and you can't even place a preorder for it... now I feel anticipation like I felt when I was waiting on my SVS sub to be delivered, and I don't even know when this thing will ship.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I hate when a new product is announced and you can't even place a preorder for it... now I feel anticipation like I felt when I was waiting on my SVS sub to be delivered, and I don't even know when this thing will ship.
Hey, at least we can get on the list to (someday) preorder.

D

Dekpm19

Audiophyte
How about the RBH and Yamaha demo anybody hear that.
Allen

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I really want to hear how the Yamaha RX-Z11 11.2 demo went, and what speakers/subs where being used.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
How about the RBH and Yamaha demo anybody hear that.
Allen
The video aspect of this demo was the standout experience for me. I found the audio to be not well integrated, i.e. way too much bass. As Gene explained in another thread, this had to do with switching DSP modes and not adjusting between switches.

I think the speakers RBH chose were far too much for the small room they were using. I have trouble with RBH's confusing model numbers, but they were truly monsters. Setup issues aside, I could tell that they were very good speakers. Mids and highs were clear and not strident in any way. Vocals were clear and articulate.

I would have to say the Z-11 performed admirably, although the demo did not seem to be set up to really display the Z-11's potential. The amp section was plenty powerful to drive the RBH's very loud without a hint of distortion, but the poor integration of the subs and mains would be the fault of the Z-11, either by not remembering where the bass was set for each sound mode as they were switched, or at the very least by whoever was controlling the Z-11 for the demo. Plus, the Z-11 was not handling the video as this was done by an outboard HQV processor.

I think this was a demo with far, far more potential that what was actually displayed in the presentation from any aspect that you might consider it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis