AVR Dying... Recommend me a new one!

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
The inevitable happened, after 7 years my Intergra DHC-40.2 is on it's last legs. There's no sound when it comes on (intermitantly works at the moment). Internet search says it's most likely the HDMI card.....

Basically I'm looking for something similar, Audyssey, pre's out for all channels to run to my external amps, 7.2, wifi, plus what ever the latest greatest is such as 4K. Haven't kept up with all the new stuff, so fire away!

Thanks!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have the Denon 3400H and it's awesome. Sound is extremely good. I'm very impressed with the sound and Audyssey. I never had an Audyssey capable receiver and this is extremely good. I guess it's the higher up version of Audyssey, the XT32.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the Denon 3400H and it's awesome. Sound is extremely good. I'm very impressed with the sound and Audyssey. I never had an Audyssey capable receiver and this is extremely good. I guess it's the higher up version of Audyssey, the XT32.

Coming from someone who owns and obviously prefers:D integrated and separates, this is good news to mid range AVR owners!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The inevitable happened, after 7 years my Intergra DHC-40.2 is on it's last legs. There's no sound when it comes on (intermitantly works at the moment). Internet search says it's most likely the HDMI card.....

Basically I'm looking for something similar, Audyssey, pre's out for all channels to run to my external amps, 7.2, wifi, plus what ever the latest greatest is such as 4K. Haven't kept up with all the new stuff, so fire away!

Thanks!
If you are sure you won't go beyond 7 channels, the $599 AVR-X3400H is a great choice, otherwise the $899 AVR-X4400H, or the $1199 Marantz SR7012 if you believe in the HDAM advantage (I don't, been there, done that..).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Coming from someone who owns and obviously prefers:D integrated and separates, this is good news to mid range AVR owners!!
Well I use an external amp but that is besides the point. It's a great receiver.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
If you are sure you won't go beyond 7 channels, the $599 AVR-X3400H is a great choice, otherwise the $899 AVR-X4400H, or the $1199 Marantz SR7012 if you believe in the HDAM advantage (I don't, been there, done that..).
Just ordered a x3400h, can't beat it for that price brand new. Not going to worry about what the future may bring either. Especially at that price. About the only thing I'm not crazy about is the remote - it is not a multibrand. But I can work around that:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is the last year of the extended warranty on Onkyo/Integra avrs with the network/hdmi board issues (for avrs made between 2009-12). I'd contact them and get your Integra fixed, assuming it qualifies. My Onkyo succumbed last year and the fix was painless and quick and now works better than before (well, seems to run cooler). OTOH since you've already got a 3400 on the way, that's a nice unit with updated features and you can always get a Harmony remote. The Integra can be a spare or used in another room....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just ordered a x3400h, can't beat it for that price brand new. Not going to worry about what the future may bring either. Especially at that price. About the only thing I'm not crazy about is the remote - it is not a multibrand. But I can work around that:)
Great choice. I'm listening to mine right now with 5.1 music and I'm no kidding in heaven. Just sounds so smooth and beautiful. Man just gorgeous!

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
This is the last year of the extended warranty on Onkyo/Integra avrs with the network/hdmi board issues (for avrs made between 2009-12). I'd contact them and get your Integra fixed, assuming it qualifies. My Onkyo succumbed last year and the fix was painless and quick and now works better than before (well, seems to run cooler). OTOH since you've already got a 3400 on the way, that's a nice unit with updated features and you can always get a Harmony remote. The Integra can be a spare or used in another room....
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. Just figured 7ish years later it wouldn't be under any warranty. Worth a check. It would be nice if they would just send me the board and I'll fix it myself.

I was looking at the Harmony remotes.

Question: Looking at the Harmony models with hubs, do they need an IR line of site with the Denon AVR? Or can you set them up, or will they default, to work over the wifi like a phone app does when a device is wifi connected?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the info. I had no idea. Just figured 7ish years later it wouldn't be under any warranty. Worth a check. It would be nice if they would just send me the board and I'll fix it myself.

I was looking at the Harmony remotes.

Question: Looking at the Harmony models with hubs, do they need an IR line of site with the Denon AVR? Or can you set them up, or will they default, to work over the wifi like a phone app does when a deivice is wifi connected?
Some basic history on the issue can be had here

I don't have a Harmony with hub so not sure, altho did take a look the other day. I assume the hubs are wifi enabled but not sure.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Great choice. I'm listening to mine right now with 5.1 music and I'm no kidding in heaven. Just sounds so smooth and beautiful. Man just gorgeous!

Again, glad you like it, but in case you prefer flat bass response, you may be able to improve SQ further by experimenting different crossover points from 80 hz up, especially if you have very bass capable bookshelves or towers. I am telling people this because of what I have seen on my REW plots, not just by ears. XT32, and I suspect other REQ software as well, cannot integrated (they did great on the individual speakers) bass capable LCR smoothly. How bad it ends up will obviously depends on the speakers and subs in-room behavior so it it possible that you may be getting the best already (not in my setup) but it wouldn't hurt to try different crossovers and see what happens.

maccat39

maccat39

Audioholic Intern

Thanks!

Thanks!
I just upgraded from the Onkyo 3008 same problem, HDMI board overheating.

Onkyo replaced it twice, but after 8yrs Decided and finally pulled the trigger on the Denon X6400 and I'm loving it, never thought I would have switched to Denon but hey I'll never look back 6400 is the way to go, great sound and all the bells and whistles you need.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Question: Looking at the Harmony models with hubs, do they need an IR line of site with the Denon AVR? Or can you set them up, or will they default, to work over the wifi like a phone app does when a device is wifi connected?
A Harmony Hub (I have both the Elite and Companion versions) needs line of sight to translate the remote's RF commands into IR commands for most of your devices. That's usually not a problem because you can hide the hub and employ one or more tiny IR blasters. The Hub will also control many devices that support wifi or Bluetooth commands. I'm using a Harmony Smart Remote add-on as a day to day controller for my Elite Hub just because it's easier to use and handier than the full-featured controller.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
The x3400H showed up and got it going last night. What an easy setup. Plug it in to the wall and connect to the TV and follow the instruction. I did hook everything else up before hand while back there anyway:). The Audyssey MultEQ XT32 even found I had one speaker out of phase.

I think the interface is simpler to use than the Integra. Though it will take some re-training. I was to the point where I was doing things through muscle memory with the Integra...

Denon threw in a couple of apps to learn too. I'll have to figure out if there is anything worthwhile in them. Not sure I'll ever use HEOS. It would have been nicer if they just went with Chromecast, IMO. A little more universal.

Just need to pick up a Harmony universal remote and life will be better than normal:cool:

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Congratulations. I have the AVR-X4400H. You'll like the X3400H.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The x3400H showed up and got it going last night. What an easy setup. Plug it in to the wall and connect to the TV and follow the instruction. I did hook everything else up before hand while back there anyway:). The Audyssey MultEQ XT32 even found I had one speaker out of phase.

I think the interface is simpler to use than the Integra. Though it will take some re-training. I was to the point where I was doing things through muscle memory with the Integra...

Denon threw in a couple of apps to learn too. I'll have to figure out if there is anything worthwhile in them. Not sure I'll ever use HEOS. It would have been nicer if they just went with Chromecast, IMO. A little more universal.

Just need to pick up a Harmony universal remote and life will be better than normal:cool:

Thanks for everyone's help!
The 3400H is a great receiver. I'm really loving it. Sound is extremely good. You'll have fun with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis