AV Receivers and ways to power Passive subwoofers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say the amp you're using would be on the weak side....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I got a chance to test my old speakers using Denon AVR-X3600H and it sounds ok. The challenge is setting up the subwoofers I have, I am not getting the thumping bass while listening to songs but works pretty well while watching the movies. Kindly advise on how to increase the performance of the subwoofer?

I wired my subs in series and connected to Nobsound G2 Subwoofer Amplifier Mono Power Amp PBTL/BTL Bridge 100W Mini Sub Amp Home Theater and connected LFE output from AVR to this amplifier. I tried both manual and auto-calibration but no luck, am I doing anything wrong here? I understand the subs are of average quality but I can feel the bass when I hook up this other stereo amplifier. Does it mean the subs are not getting enough power? Should I get a 2 channel power amplifier to power individual subs?
Series wiring is not a good way to wire subs. The other issue is that you now have 8 ohms impedance. Now that amp only has 19 Volts from the power supply. So the theoretical maximum power to the subs is only 45 watts. However it will in practice be less than that and almost certainly some what less then 40 watts.

So you need a dual channel amp that can provide at least 100 watts and preferably a 150 watts to each speaker. Or else you need to wire the subs in parallel and get a mono amp that can deliver 200 to 300 watts into a 2 ohm load. That amp you have does not look adequate at all.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Series wiring is not a good way to wire subs. The other issue is that you now have 8 ohms impedance. Now that amp only has 19 Volts from the power supply. So the theoretical maximum power to the subs is only 45 watts. However it will in practice be less than that and almost certainly some what less then 40 watts.

So you need a dual channel amp that can provide at least 100 watts and preferably a 150 watts to each speaker. Or else you need to wire the subs in parallel and get a mono amp that can deliver 200 to 300 watts into a 2 ohm load. That amp you have does not look adequate at all.
Do you have any suggestion on brand or model that can be used? I would consider using this as external amp to power the front channels in future so would prefer 2 channel amps.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do you have any suggestion on brand or model that can be used? I would consider using this as external amp to power the front channels in future so would prefer 2 channel amps.
I would recommend either Crown Drive core or QSC.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
The guys here know quality. Maybe try a used amp, or used sub. Fb marketplace, Cl, goodwill. You can build a serious system for a couple hundred or find your go between to power your jvc for 50$. Get an older straight up amp not receiver. Heavy is good.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
I would recommend either Crown Drive core or QSC.
I have shortlisted a few amps., to power the subs as well the front channels as it sounds distorted on higher volumes. My front channels have a power rating of 150 RMS @ 4 ohms (the same with subs), does it mean I should get an amp that has more than 150 Watts per channel so that the speakers will have enough headroom for the dynamics? Most of the professional lineup amps like Crown and QSC have enough power rating (150 to 200 WPC) for the budget I have, also found few used amps like Rotel, Cambridge which has 40 or 50 WPC not sure which one would suit better?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis