AV Receivers and ways to power Passive subwoofers

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Hi,

I got a HIFI compact component system from JVC a few years ago from Dubai and the main unit stopped working due to some issues in the mainboard. I really like those speakers much so I decided to build a new home theater system with 7.2 Channel AV receiver, but I am not sure which amplifier should I buy to power my 2 passive subwoofers.
Do we have any models in the market that comes with built-in amplifiers to power the subwoofers if not what kind of power amplifiers would work well with the AV receivers? I am open to any brand all I need is a decent Receiver and Amplifier to hook up my existing speakers, your suggestion is highly appreciated.

I have attached the existing speaker specification for your reference.

HiFi System model Name: JVC CA-DXU10
No. of speakers: 5.2 (with 2 passive subwoofers)

Regards,
Arun

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What 7.2 avr did you decide on? It has pre-outs for external amps for the subs?

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
@lovinthehd, Thanks for your reply. I am planning to buy Marantz or Denon AVRs and yes it has pre-outs for sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That amp should work okay. I'd really just think about better subs, tho....the ones that came with that HTIB set are poor quality.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I get your point, but I can't invest much in speakers now moreover I live in an apartment so I am guessing this would be enough to fill the room. Maybe in the future, I can upgrade the subs.
Do you have any other suggestions on the power amplifiers for the subs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Behringer NX, Crown XLS or XLi, QSC, Peavey, Crest....a variety of pro amps work for such an application but all will likely cost more than the one you posted. The subs may need more than just a straight amp as some of these are (they may need some eq/dsp).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also found this on internet https://www.primecables.ca/p-362051-cab-605030-300-watt-150w-rms-x2-studio-audio-amplifier-monoprice can you please advice if this can be used to power the subs?
Do your passive subs have that type of speaker connection since that amp doesn't have the typical speaker binding post?

One thing about passive subs is that you can pretty much use any amp, but just make sure you have the correct connections/binding posts.

You could also get an adapter, but might as well just get an amp with the connection or binding posts you need.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy Mine is just having positive and negative terminals nothing more than that. Do you have a suggestion on the brands that's compatible with my subs? This is what I've,
View attachment 40436
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa230-230w-subwoofer-amplifier--300-813 Is this a good one? Sorry for too many questions as I don't have any idea about power amplifiers.
Any cheap amp will do. Just look for some cheap amps and post the links here. Then we can take a look at the amps for you.

I would say any amp with 100W will do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That Dayton amp is more intended for a single sub, but if you wired your subs in series it would probably be okay impedance-wise (or are you getting one amp for each sub?). The connectors for your subs are bare wire it looks like from your old "receiver" manual so pretty much all amps will accommodate such.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
That Dayton amp is more intended for a single sub, but if you wired your subs in series it would probably be okay impedance-wise (or are you getting one amp for each sub?). The connectors for your subs are bare wire it looks like from your old "receiver" manual so pretty much all amps will accommodate such.
I would use a single amp if that's sufficient to power both the subwoofers or I can buy some cheap amplifiers (like below) one for each subwoofer if it's good enough to power and I believe pre-out from AVR would provide enough gain to produce the required sound effect? Please correct me if I am wrong.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Any cheap amp will do. Just look for some cheap amps and post the links here. Then we can take a look at the amps for you.

I would say any amp with 100W will do.
Here are some I find from Amazon,

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You really can use any amplifier to drive the passive subwoofers you have. Be very aware of cost vs. quality. The subwoofers and speakers with this package are of very low quality. I wouldn't be willing to spend a dime on this, but instead would look for a quality subwoofer online as a first step.

Likewise, amplifiers can last for decades, so I would look for a good used amp over a new amp any day of the week.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would use a single amp if that's sufficient to power both the subwoofers or I can buy some cheap amplifiers (like below) one for each subwoofer if it's good enough to power and I believe pre-out from AVR would provide enough gain to produce the required sound effect? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Personally I wouldn't buy amps for the subs you have, they're simply not worth spending money on IMO; I'd simply get better subs (and most subs aside from these HTIB type subs come with their own amps). If you use any of the amps proposed so far, they're likely sufficient (and overkill in a sense); your old receiver's spec had output at 63hz at 150W into 4 ohms at 10% THD so as long as you get close to that you're probably fine.

However, I'd only buy amps I could use for other purposes (or diy subs) in the future, otherwise I'd simply get better subs now rather than put money into amps for the subs you have.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
If you’re spending almost $100 on an amp you might want to look into the 12” Dayton Audio subwoofer. Not much more expensive and is a well reviewed budget sub.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here are some I find from Amazon,

Any of those amps will work. Just get one amp and wire the 2 subs in series. Google how to wire 2 speakers in series. Very easy.

Take 1 wire and connect the (+) of one sub to the (-) of the 2nd sub.

Usually, One speaker cable will contain 2 wires (+ & -). So just split the cable into 2 wires. Now use 1 wire.

Now the 2 subs basically become ONE sub. Then connect the (+) of the amp to the sub that has the (+) available. Then connect the (-) of the amp to the sub with the (-) available.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
You really can use any amplifier to drive the passive subwoofers you have. Be very aware of cost vs. quality. The subwoofers and speakers with this package are of very low quality. I wouldn't be willing to spend a dime on this, but instead would look for a quality subwoofer online as a first step.

Likewise, amplifiers can last for decades, so I would look for a good used amp over a new amp any day of the week.
Thanks, that's a really nice thought. I will try to search for a used amp instead of a new budget one. There is a little sentiment attached to it that's the reason I'm sticking to these speakers. My plan is to buy an AVR for 1000$~ and to upgrade my speakers in the future, that's the other reason I don't want to spend much on amplifiers just to power these subs now.

A

Arun Prasad

Audioholic Intern
Sorry to resurrect this thread, I got a chance to test my old speakers using Denon AVR-X3600H and it sounds ok. The challenge is setting up the subwoofers I have, I am not getting the thumping bass while listening to songs but works pretty well while watching the movies. Kindly advise on how to increase the performance of the subwoofer?

I wired my subs in series and connected to Nobsound G2 Subwoofer Amplifier Mono Power Amp PBTL/BTL Bridge 100W Mini Sub Amp Home Theater and connected LFE output from AVR to this amplifier. I tried both manual and auto-calibration but no luck, am I doing anything wrong here? I understand the subs are of average quality but I can feel the bass when I hook up this other stereo amplifier. Does it mean the subs are not getting enough power? Should I get a 2 channel power amplifier to power individual subs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis