AV Receivers and external amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ask if your doc will prescribe diltiazem. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. It lowers bp, slows down a fast heartbeat and stabilizes an irregular one.
Diltiazem: Tinnitus incidence ~ 2%

I was looking at Benazepril (ACE-I like Lisinopril), and there's no mention of any incidences or reports of Tinnitus yet (drug in use since 1990).

Last edited:
H

Helier Felipe

Audiophyte
I read that Pete Townsend has a perpetual ringing in his ears so bad it was threatening his sanity. Due to not using hearing protection when he was in his band. Also I understand the most common reason for suicide among combat veterans is the same problem as a result of shells going off nearby. I also have this problem (to a lesser degree) as a result of working around loud machinery my whole life. I've learned to tune it out.
I too suffer from Tinnitus
I almost mentioned making sure your speakers/room were set up well, as that is definitely more important than the electronics. If you post pics of your room we might be able to make some suggestions.

@David Harper if you sign up for tapatalk to use this forum, it's a bit easier to upload photos IME, and if you want to upload using the website on your Windows pc just take the too-big file, right click on it (the file, not the actual picture) and it'll bring up a menu, select edit, which takes you to paint and there's a resizing option there, I usually go 25-35% and works fine, save that resized photo. To actually put it in the post use the attach files tab at the bottom of the post area on the left....
I have Tendinitis, which is ringing or buzzing of the inner ear. Some days it’s really bad other days not so much and some not many it’s very little or golden Silence. There’s no Cure for Tendinitis.
I think you mean Tinnitus, something I also suffer from. The playing of R&R early in life and later target shooting at indoor ranges have taken their toll. I use hearing protection but the damage is already done. Oddly enough these hearing aids help a bit with the condition as well as help restore what I was missing. Not perfect but....

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
I have read of a device like a hearing aid but it cures the tinnitus noise in your head by creating a frequency which cancels the frequency of the tinnitus noise like a speaker wired out of phase.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have read of a device like a hearing aid but it cures the tinnitus noise in your head by creating a frequency which cancels the frequency of the tinnitus noise like a speaker wired out of phase.
I wouldn't use the word cure, it may mask the noise somewhat for relief, tho. When mine first started to annoy me I used white noise in the form of a window fan to mask it as it was keeping me awake at first. Once I became accustomed to it not so much.

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't use the word cure, it may mask the noise somewhat for relief, tho. When mine first started to annoy me I used white noise in the form of a window fan to mask it as it was keeping me awake at first. Once I became accustomed to it not so much.
yes I sleep with a fan on every night.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Adding a amp is so predicated on speakers, room size and levels you want to achieve.

Without a doubt it can do wonders to the small power supplies in these modern day avrs. Certain amps sound different too and it can be fun trying different ones.

If you never listen over 95db and aren’t a reference movie watcher lower power is perfect. I like to crank it up on movie night so I need power. Even with a powerful avr it’s not enough.

I totally recommend getting an amp, just not something with low power. If your avr is 90 watts don’t buy a 100 watt external amp and expect a life changing experience. Speakers are more likely to blow with less power then more.

H

Helier Felipe

Audiophyte
The hearing aids I purchased last year incorporated that sistem in them, it helps quite a bit , however, at times not even that takes it away.

H

Helier Felipe

Audiophyte
Just an update, I got some B&W stands from Crutchfield yesterday and set them all up. Must say there is a big difference. I can hear a lot more of the ambience in the recording. providing ,of course, that there is any. All in all I think a worthwhile improvement. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Depends on your definition of "Disposable Income".

To me, disposable income means you're a billionaire.
People with extra money that they don't what do with it but to find a reason to spend it. I'm talking about the same types that upgrade $3,000 TV's every time a new model comes out or upgrade their cell phones every year. The same types that probably wouldn't give a hungry homeless person one dollar.

Last edited:
D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
"upgrade their cell phone every year" sounds like my ex-wife

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
People with extra money that they don't what do with but to find a reason to spend it. I'm talking about the same types that upgrade $3,000 TV's every time a new model comes out or upgrade their cell phones every year. The same types that probably wouldn't give a hungry homeless person one dollar.
What, you know some friends who stand on the streets with signs that say “Homeless, Please Give Me Money Because I don’t want to work”?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
What, you know some friends who stand on the streets with signs that say “Homeless, Please Give Me Money Because I don’t want to work”?
I rather give a homeless person, even one that doesn't want to work, a one dollar bill than to give a trillion dollar company, like Apple , one thousand dollars for a new model that doesn't really offer anything more than the previous model.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I always get the newest phone but I’ve never paid that much. They all have huge discounts and it’s actually cheaper to upgrade. My family has 5 iPhones that are all new. Oldest is iPhone X and we have 4 iPads on an unlimited plan for $235 a month.

I’m definitely all for helping out the homeless!

I understand though my mom has a iPhone 4 and pays att $90 a month and never uses it.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't give too much credibility to those incidence %.Because tinnitus is such a subjective phenomenon it would be very difficult to get a reliable objective result on that. It would require a very carefully controlled double-blind study.
I had an audiogram done which I incorrectly remember to show a hearing deficit at 5000 Hz. They check at 4000 Hz and 8000 Hz. Maybe it was the swing on the graph but my sensitivity became normal at 8000 Hz indicating that my tinnitus was at the frequency I was least sensitive to due to the fact that I was already hearing that frequency and the volume had to be raised around 8db or 12db louder than all the other frequencies for it to surpass a threshold of detectability.

I'm guessing you could use a wider sampling of test tones to isolate the frequency of an individual's tinnitus by establishing a sensitivity threshold (an either you hear it or you don't scenario) and seeing how it falls in line with that Fletcher Munsen curve thing.

The incidence % thing is pretty low in any case but I bet it goes up a lot if you try to commit suicide eating Midol due to all the Aspirin. For the record, I have never taken a Midol.

J

jameshtx

Enthusiast
Those types just have disposable income that they want to spend.
Just wanted to chime in to get a second opinion. I'm a newbie and don't have disposable income. Just bought a dedicated amp to run my towers, center, and surround L/R when before through my Denon 4300H. Now my avr only powers the surround rear L/R n four atmos speakers. And with this dedicated amp, isn't it giving the towers, center, n surrounds the right amount of juice to perform at a high level or did I just waste my money? Thx

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just wanted to chime in to get a second opinion. I'm a newbie and don't have disposable income. Just bought a dedicated amp to run my towers, center, and surround L/R when before through my Denon 4300H. Now my avr only powers the surround rear L/R n four atmos speakers. And with this dedicated amp, isn't it giving the towers, center, n surrounds the right amount of juice to perform at a high level or did I just waste my money? Thx
The right amount of juice is what your speakers are capable of and what spl level you're asking of them at the distance you are from the speakers. Very often an external amp makes no difference to the average user/setup, tho....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis