AV Receivers and external amp.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just wanted to chime in to get a second opinion. I'm a newbie and don't have disposable income. Just bought a dedicated amp to run my towers, center, and surround L/R when before through my Denon 4300H. Now my avr only powers the surround rear L/R n four atmos speakers. And with this dedicated amp, isn't it giving the towers, center, n surrounds the right amount of juice to perform at a high level or did I just waste my money? Thx
Which towers do you have? Brand and model? Size of your listening room and your listening distance from the towers? Also, at what loudness do you listen to your HT system? Those are all factors that will let you obtain the proper answer.
See the following link for calculation: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

J

jameshtx

Enthusiast
Which towers do you have? Brand and model? Size of your listening room and your listening distance from the towers? Also, at what loudness do you listen to your HT system? Those are all factors that will let you obtain the proper answer.
See the following link for calculation: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
Def Tech Bp9080x towers
Def Tech 9080 center
30x30ft room
Towers are 9.2 ft from listening position

What you mean by what loudness? Appreciate the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Def Tech Bp9080x towers
Def Tech 9080 center
30x30ft room

How loud do you listen to your music and movies?

Your BP9080x towers are powered speakers. As per S & V review, at your listening distance from them, you definitely don't need external amplification with those DEFINITIVE Technology towers:

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Def Tech Bp9080x towers
Def Tech 9080 center
30x30ft room

The master volume reading on your avr would put us in the neighborhood of how loud.... Assuming it's been calibrated via Audyssey or manually.....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How loud do you listen to your music and movies?

Your BP9080x towers are powered speakers. As per S & V review, at your listening distance from them, you definitely don't need external amplification with those DEFINITIVE Technology towers:

Your room size would suggest an external amp might help, but if sitting only 9.2 ft from those towers, your receiver can easily drive them to give you reference level.

Which amp did you get anyway? You need a 200 W rated amp to gain a little less than 3dB of sound pressure level.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just bought a dedicated amp to run my towers, center, and surround L/R when before through my Denon 4300H. Now my avr only powers the surround rear L/R n four atmos speakers. And with this dedicated amp, isn't it giving the towers, center, n surrounds the right amount of juice to perform at a high level or did I just waste my money?
Def Tech Bp9080x towers
Def Tech 9080 center
30x30ft room
I used to own DefTech BP7000SC mains, CLR3000 center, BP7001 surrounds and used a 50WPC 5.1 AVR without any external amps. Sitting distance was 12FT.

So you usually don't need any more power than the AVR.

Did you waste money? Probably. :D

J

jameshtx

Enthusiast
The ext amp I just got was the Monoprice Monolith 5x200w

Before the 5x200w, volume knob had to be at 68 - 70 at least for my liking.

Denon says the 4300H model outputs 125w per channel 8 ohms but really how much was I getting when all my channels was plugged into it??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Denon says the 4300H model outputs 125w per channel 8 ohms but really how much was I getting when all my channels was plugged into it??
If you calibrate the avr with the new amp properly the volume reading will remain the same for the same volume level as before. Each channel in your avr was capable of 125 watts output at any given time as each speaker's needs demanded, which likely wasn't that much at any given moment. Your new amp's 200wpc gives you about a 2dB advantage over 125wpc at 8 ohms. Try using the spl calculator Verdinut linked earlier to see what your demands are at a given time.

If you are referring to an all channels driven simultaneously spec try this https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x4200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench but such a spec isn't all that meaningful in general use.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Try using the spl calculator Verdinut linked earlier to see what your demands are at a given time.
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Just take a few seconds and play around with it, it can be a real eye opener as to realistically how much power you might require, and just how much more it takes for small, incremental gains.

rysher

rysher

Audiophyte
125w on the 4300h is 2 channels NOT all channels driven, when all channels is driven it goes lower.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
125w on the 4300h is 2 channels NOT all channels driven, when all channels is driven it goes lower.
It doesn't need to be. What would you play that has equal energy in each channel simultaneously?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been reading posts from people saying the same thing
It's fussed about all the time. It's just not a very meaningful spec (the all channels driven or ACD rating). Did you look at the bench test I linked?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ACD (All Channels Driven) spec must be the #1 misconception in this audio hobby.

I didn’t understand the ACD fallacy until I came here to Audioholics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis