AV Receiver vs Stereo Amplifier

Q

qba

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I need to resue all the weeks of research in this forum that let me purchase a very nice subwoofer and very nice speakers. I'll duplicate the same system for our master bedroom, so my wife can enjoy the same good quality music. I just finished purchasing the same speakers and the same subwoofer to add the speakers on the wall beside the wall-mounted TV already in existence.

The issue is that in the bedroom a Chromecast with Google TV that is currently connected to the TV via HDMI will be the one playing music via Plex, So if the sound quality of an AV receiver in relation to playing HI-FI music is the same as it's an equivalent stereo amplifier, all I need is to buy the equivalent of the A-S501 in AV Receiver and I should be getting the same quality of music, but if 2.1 music amplifier has a better quality I need to figure out how to get the audio from the Google TV box into the amp, I think I could do this via an optical cable but I'm not sure. Plus this TV is mostly used in one input HDMI 1 with the Google TV, so I don't really need a device to change inputs like an AV receiver.

So after that long intro here is the question: Do AV Reivers have the same quality as their counterpart or equivalent Stereo Amplifier? Or like the speakers, some are made to sound better on home theaters while others are purposely made to sound better in a stereo system.

Thanks

Alex

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The main difference is functionality. If you want any kind of room correction and better bass management, you'll want an AVR. Since you don't need HDMI switching, AVR is less of a requirement. Optical will get you audio, but it won't get higher formats, but for 2.1 audio only, that probably isn't as important as well. Bass management tends to be rather simple on a stereo receiver vs. an AVR.

Stereo receivers do tend to have slightly better amp sections in my experience because the wiring and amp stack is less complex, but I don't think you'll really notice that much in terms of sound quality.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply j_garcia
The main difference is functionality. If you want any kind of room correction and better bass management, you'll want an AVR.
I guess the benefit of room correction is a nice feature without any extra cost. I can control the bass via the app, I purchased an SVS SB-1000 Pro

Optical will get you audio, but it won't get higher formats, but for 2.1 audio only, that probably isn't as important as well.
Yeah, I will be watching some TV shows and maybe even a movie or two, we got a room set up for watching movies but we barely use it, since is not the living room. But really I don't care about home theater at all with this setup, this will be catered for stereo music, the movies, documentaries, and shows will sound better than through the TV speakers as is now, so that is all improvement they will get.

Stereo receivers do tend to have slightly better amp sections in my experience because the wiring and amp stack is less complex, but I don't think you'll really notice that much in terms of sound quality.
If I won't notice the difference I guess is a clear choice for the AVR :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless one is a golden ear *coughs* audiophile who swear up and down they can detect a turd dropped being dropped by a mouse onto the insulation in the attic. But then again audiophile and being well grounded in reality is an oxymoron. :p

To the OP, you reached the correct conclusion thanks to j_garcia. My post is there to tell you, dont listen to audiophiles.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Unless one is a golden ear *coughs* audiophile who swear up and down they can detect a turd dropped being dropped by a mouse onto the insulation in the attic. But then again audiophile and being well grounded in reality is an oxymoron. :p
lol

To the OP, you reached the correct conclusion thanks to j_garcia.
I guess the conclusion is that an AVR will make better sense and the music quality won't be compromised if I select the correct one that caters more to music.

My post is there to tell you, dont listen to audiophiles.
Thanks, I guess that you are referring that subjective opinions that haven't been tested, should be taken as just opinions without any merit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned a sub with a remote for "tweaking" in the past. I found I spent too much time fiddling around with it and ultimately stopped using it. I have an SB4000 now and never use the app :) I DO use the preset volume settings though, just to switch between two levels for music and movies.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I need to resue all the weeks of research in this forum that let me purchase a very nice subwoofer and very nice speakers. I'll duplicate the same system for our master bedroom, so my wife can enjoy the same good quality music. I just finished purchasing the same speakers and the same subwoofer to add the speakers on the wall beside the wall-mounted TV already in existence.

The issue is that in the bedroom a Chromecast with Google TV that is currently connected to the TV via HDMI will be the one playing music via Plex, So if the sound quality of an AV receiver in relation to playing HI-FI music is the same as it's an equivalent stereo amplifier, all I need is to buy the equivalent of the A-S501 in AV Receiver and I should be getting the same quality of music, but if 2.1 music amplifier has a better quality I need to figure out how to get the audio from the Google TV box into the amp, I think I could do this via an optical cable but I'm not sure. Plus this TV is mostly used in one input HDMI 1 with the Google TV, so I don't really need a device to change inputs like an AV receiver.

So after that long intro here is the question: Do AV Reivers have the same quality as their counterpart or equivalent Stereo Amplifier? Or like the speakers, some are made to sound better on home theaters while others are purposely made to sound better in a stereo system.

Thanks

Alex
Your A-S501 will have higher quality preamp/poweramp sections and have higher sound quality than an equivalently priced receiver for 2 channel listening. I have had several entry level bottom of the barrel receivers in the past (Pioneer, Sony, Denon, etc) and they all sounded terrible for any dedicated music listening with a scrutinizing ear. AV Receivers start sounding real good and will have incredible features IME when it gets to the flagship level. Such sonic quality can be achieved with dedicated 2 channel gear at lower prices however. Bottom of the barrel receivers will have more features than dedicated 2 channel gear, but, will be heavily compromised on sound quality.

Keep in mind that this is a AV forum and for instance, the video/movie guys may not care as much for sound quality w.r.t dedicated 2 channel or multichannel music listening. They may be beating it to death with their Klipsches and be more focused on reference level SPLs and dynamics, but may not care to discern other intricacies with music listening. There are guys who'll insist every dac/preamp/poweramp etc out there sounds the same. They may have zero room treatment and insist that some room correction software will fix everything even if they are set up in the crappiest possible room. There are guys out there who won't hear a difference between your Elac speakers and some 100 dollar boombox. So, it's up to you and what your priorities are.

Here's a stereo amp that's very close to the A-S801 with some additional features: bass management, streaming and basic room correction...if you're looking for something that may be middle of the road w.r.t sound quality and features, i.e. doesn't compromise too much on either.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN803/Yamaha-R-N803.html?awcp=&awcr=309942927033&awdv=c&awkw=yamaha+r+n803&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9023847&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3ezAlQaeBjmmkPpQGphrggWCVZmeMvMMyWkQgole2z2hLgGS0zY6qyQaAh3uEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Q

qba

Audioholic
I've owned a sub with a remote for "tweaking" in the past. I found I spent too much time fiddling around with it and ultimately stopped using it. I have an SB4000 now and never use the app :) I DO use the preset volume settings though, just to switch between two levels for music and movies.
Thank you j_garcia, I agree, in the end, only everyday routines for a long period of time will dictate if something is a gimmick or it is truly useful.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply Am_P
Your A-S501 will have higher quality preamp/poweramp sections and have higher sound quality than an equivalently priced receiver for 2 channel listening. I have had several entry level bottom of the barrel receivers in the past (Pioneer, Sony, Denon, etc) and they all sounded terrible for any dedicated music listening with a scrutinizing ear. AV Receivers start sounding real good and will have incredible features IME when it gets to the flagship level. Such sonic quality can be achieved with dedicated 2 channel gear at lower prices however. Bottom of the barrel receivers will have more features than dedicated 2 channel gear, but, will be heavily compromised on sound quality.
Good point!

Keep in mind that this is a AV forum and for instance, the video/movie guys may not care as much for sound quality w.r.t dedicated 2 channel or multichannel music listening. They may be beating it to death with their Klipsches and be more focused on reference level SPLs and dynamics, but may not care to discern other intricacies with music listening. There are guys who'll insist every dac/preamp/poweramp etc out there sounds the same. They may have zero room treatment and insist that some room correction software will fix everything even if they are set up in the crappiest possible room. There are guys out there who won't hear a difference between your Elac speakers and some 100 dollar boombox. So, it's up to you and what your priorities are.
I think this post dictates where my priorities are, I want music quality above movie quality, to be honest, I personally don't care too much for movie audio quality to be off the charts, as long as is decent enough. I set up a room that is only used as a home theater, with a few thousand worths of audio gear and we barely watch anything in that beautiful room, because sometimes life gets on the way, since the pandemic started the kids, my wife, and I automatically just lay in our master bedroom and watch movies in the mounted wall tv with the built-in speakers lol, that should give you an idea.

Here's a stereo amp that's very close to the A-S801 with some additional features: bass management, streaming and basic room correction...if you're looking for something that may be middle of the road w.r.t sound quality and features, i.e. doesn't compromise too much on either.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN803/Yamaha-R-N803.html?awcp=&awcr=309942927033&awdv=c&awkw=yamaha+r+n803&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9023847&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3ezAlQaeBjmmkPpQGphrggWCVZmeMvMMyWkQgole2z2hLgGS0zY6qyQaAh3uEALw_wcB
Thanks, I'll check them out!

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the reply Am_P

Good point!

I think this post dictates where my priorities are, I want music quality above movie quality, to be honest, I personally don't care too much for movie audio quality to be off the charts, as long as is decent enough. I set up a room that is only used as a home theater, with a few thousand worths of audio gear and we barely watch anything in that beautiful room, because sometimes life gets on the way, since the pandemic started the kids, my wife, and I automatically just lay in our master bedroom and watch movies in the mounted wall tv with the built-in speakers lol, that should give you an idea.

Thanks, I'll check them out!
A setup with components tailored for hifi music listening will also sound great for movies ( there is less scrutiny from the ear for movies than music). But, it won't necessarily be true the other way around.

In bedrooms where one may not always have room or the WAF for a full Atmos/multichannel setup, a good 2.1 stereo setup should indeed do a lot better than tv speakers. There are speakers that image great and throw a deep holographic soundstage that you may start to swear that you had a center and surround speakers active, when all you have is 2 speakers upfront. It won't be like a full Atmos setup though. If you pair it with some 2 channel receiver like a R-N803 (1 box stereo amp that should come with a lot of features offered on Yamaha's Musiccast platform), it could serve for a decent sounding compact bedroom setup that doesn't take over the whole room. I am not sure what else is out there. You could also see if Marantz has something similar as well.

On the positive side, it looks like you have the WAF to bring a couple of speakers into the bedroom at the least. I only have the WAF for an awful soundbar in the masterbr. :)

Last edited:
Q

qba

Audioholic
Thank you for the reply Am_P,
A setup with components tailored for hifi music listening will also sound great for movies ( there is less scrutiny from the ear for movies than music). But, it won't necessarily be true the other way around.

In bedrooms where one may not always have room or the WAF for a full Atmos/multichannel setup, a good 2.1 stereo setup should indeed do a lot better than tv speakers. There are speakers that image great and throw a deep holographic soundstage that you may start to swear that you had a center and surround speakers active, when all you have is 2 speakers upfront. It won't be like a full Atmos setup though. If you pair it with some 2 channel receiver like a R-N803 (1 box stereo amp that should come with a lot of features offered on Yamaha's Musiccast platform), it could serve for a decent sounding compact bedroom setup that doesn't take over the whole room. I am not sure what else is out there. You could also see if Marantz has something similar as well.
I agree I think the Yamaha R-N803 sounds like a good option for me

On the positive side, it looks like you have the WAF to bring a couple of speakers into the bedroom at the least. I only have the WAF for an awful soundbar in the masterbr. :)
What does WAF stand for? if it means space I don't have it because even though it will narrow the space between the wall and the foot of the bed, there is still space to walk by, but I'm afraid someone in the middle of the night could bump the head against them, how beneficial is good music if I end up with an injured family member lol.

I'm planning to place these speakers on the wall on the side of the tv but higher up, so there is no head collision in the middle of the night. They will be pointing down and to the middle of the headboard. I know is not the ideal place but I don't know what else to do, the room width is not an issue, so there is plenty of space to add a few subwoofers on the positive wall, but as I previously mentioned I'm adding only one, the SVS SB-10000.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Likewise a system that sounds great for movies will with music too. 2ch gear doesn't have particular magic going on, altho certainly you can do a bit better spec wise sometimes, at the expense of $. Units like the 803N are more along the lines of a pared-down avr, tho but certainly functional and may suit purposes just fine. Limited bass management IIRC.
WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor for those who do not control their own domains.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Thank you for the reply Am_P,

I agree I think the Yamaha R-N803 sounds like a good option for me

What does WAF stand for? if it means space I don't have it because even though it will narrow the space between the wall and the foot of the bed, there is still space to walk by, but I'm afraid someone in the middle of the night could bump the head against them, how beneficial is good music if I end up with an injured family member lol.

I'm planning to place these speakers on the wall on the side of the tv but higher up, so there is no head collision in the middle of the night. They will be pointing down and to the middle of the headboard. I know is not the ideal place but I don't know what else to do, the room width is not an issue, so there is plenty of space to add a few subwoofers on the positive wall, but as I previously mentioned I'm adding only one, the SVS SB-10000.
WAF = Wife Approval Factor. Wall mount/Angling it down should work. W.r.t horizontal toe-in/point A.Jones designs it for listening at 15ish degrees off axis. The A-S801 is one of the amps he actually used when he voiced his Elacs. So, the A-S801 or R-N803 should pair well. Your SB-1000 should be just fine for a bedroom setup (you wouldn't need an army of ported behemoth subs that could bring the ceiling down ;) ).

Q

qba

Audioholic
Likewise a system that sounds great for movies will with music too. 2ch gear doesn't have particular magic going on, altho certainly you can do a bit better spec wise sometimes, at the expense of $. Units like the 803N are more along the lines of a pared-down avr, tho but certainly functional and may suit purposes just fine. Limited bass management IIRC.
Thank you lovinthehd, the Yamaha R-N803 is definitely the way to go, I'm already hunting it down for the best price.

WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor for those who do not control their own domains.
:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

In my opinion, the R-N803 that Am_P suggested is a great choice. If you have use for its minimal bass management feature, and I think you do, it is actually a better choice than the A-S801. The A-S801 has a little more power output but that's negligible practically speaking. The two actually share a lot of parts and circuitry.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Thank you Am_P,

WAF = Wife Approval Factor.
:)

Wall mount/Angling it down should work. W.r.t horizontal toe-in/point A.Jones designs it for listening at 15ish degrees off axis.
Perfect that is what I wanted to hear :)

The A-S801 is one of the amps he actually used when he voiced his Elacs. So, the A-S801 or R-N803 should pair well.
As I mentioned to lovinthehd, I'm already looking for the best price, I hope I could find it second hand

Your SB-1000 should be just fine for a bedroom setup (you wouldn't need an army of ported behemoth subs that could bring the ceiling down ;) ).
Agree! one should be more than enough!

Q

qba

Audioholic
In my opinion, the R-N803 that Am_P suggested is a great choice. If you have use for its minimal bass management feature, and I think you do, it is actually a better choice than the A-S801. The A-S801 has a little more power output but that's negligible practically speaking. The two actually share a lot of parts and circuitry.
Thank you PENG

1- If my SVS subwoofer already comes with the app, should I still care for the amp built-in bass management?
2 - Do you think that the room correction features and bass management, are more important than a little bit more power and the better built-in DAC of the A-S801?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis