Autumn 2023 TV Advice

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Atmos speakers… Get those installed! :)
Right!?
It is not an easy project. My room is not conducive to atmos.
I have the angles planned out and everything, it’s just what I have to do to get them up there.
The top fronts are easiest, but I can’t finalize placement of the top backs until I have the fronts installed to make certain I know how much clearance I need above a door where my TBL will mount.
Oh, and all my local hardware stores are out of threaded inserts for installing in the speakers! I had to order a hundred pack from Amazon!

FML.
:p

But the stud finder came out and I have a plan for the first two.

Oh, and I need to buy a carbide blade for cutting aluminum on a chop saw. My saw is a 12” and that’s a $70-80 blade! For a one-off project!!!

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I checked most of that out, already.
One of my cards had a Best Buy cash-back offer running that would effectively just credit 5% the purchase back to the card. That's what I did for my Dell monitor, too, but different card. :)

I'm hoping one of my accounts comes correct with another partner deal like that when trigger time occurs!
I hear you. Tom Petty was right the waiting is the hardest part. Best Buy might offer the price protection in case the price drops for Black Friday. Their card is also good for cask back but you then have to buy something els or you can pay over time. I usually do the pay over 12 or 24 months so I don’t have a huge bill due right around Christmas.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Getting itchy!
The major retailers just dropped another hundy off the Sony X93L. It and the LG C3 are just sitting there at ~$1600.

I've never been so eager to charge about 1700 to a card!
(OK, except for just upgrading my computer, but that is on payment plan with deferred interest so that hardly counts (Love Apple!). And I built my audio rig with cash...)

Anyway, there is a seller on Amazon that has the C3 already at 30% off retail, but I got bit hard when I bought my Dell Monitor from such a shop and it was DOA. The policy was to not issue the refund for almost 30days after getting the monitor back!

I would prefer not having a TV shipped like that through UPS or FedEx :oops: ! Though I would love to see the video of the Forklift Polo match using somebody else's large TV! :p So I'll be watching Best Buy and Costco for the deal I'm hoping for.
Agree I know they ship them to the store but if it’s damaged for home delivery the return and replacement process is a pain. If I can buy and pickup local I do. Good luck!

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Notice! BestBuy has their yearly return window, today's date to January 13th. I'm headed there tomorrow to check out Sony's 65 A75L, A80L, X93L, maybe their 65 X90L. I had LG 65 B3 and their C3 on my list which by the way are very good OLED TV,S. But they do not have the 3.0 tuner. Thats a deal breaker for me.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Had to go out to Costco today to pick up a prescription for one of our cats.

No, I did not come home with a TV. ;)

But checked them out there and at BB which is next door to Costco.

Very sexy, indeed.
I know the retail game of super saturated colors and all that display mode stuff... But that aside, one of the things that immediately stood out was the quality of the Blacks on the C3. And that was in a very well lit space. Over at BB, where the interior is a tad more gloomy back in TV-Land... well, simply stunning.
Even there at BB, the C3 was mounted immediately over the G3, and I'm sure if I were trained to see the differences... well... maybe there was? *shrugs... But enough to justify the additional money? Not to my eyes, not today. ;)

Anyway, now I'm just waiting to see if they come down in price.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh...

And lets talk transportation.

I know the official recommendation is to keep these standing up.

But can you lie them down for driving them home? Flat on their back, padded underneath to help absorb any bounce?

Thoughts, commentary, advice? :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I didn’t lay mine down at all. Don’t ask me how I assembled it without doing so.:eek:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh...

But can you lie them down for driving them home? Flat on their back, padded underneath to help absorb any bounce?

Yes. You can definitely lay it down. Wouldn’t hurt to support it, but it’ll be fine.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Hope it will be inside the vehicle instead of an open pickup truck bed. If you have to lay it down padding is a must and pack around it so it doesn’t shift. Screen side up and take it slow and steady on the road home. Safe travels!

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Oh...

I'd like to know also; I'll be loading it in the bed of my truck. Thanks for posting up about this I didn't take that into consideration. Guess I can Google about laying an OLED TV down. Thanks just saw you guys' post.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'd like to know also; I'll be loading it in the bed of my truck. Thanks for posting up about this I didn't take that into consideration. Guess I can Google about laying an OLED TV down. Thanks just saw you guys' post.
If it fits between the wheel wells I wouldn’t worry about it. Also, you could stand it up and strap it in the bed of a truck if you’re worried.
I spent some time doing a retail stint, and you guys would be amazed at how the boxes are stacked in semi trailers lol.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The Value Electronics Shootout results...
I saw a Sony 77" A95L at BB the other day. It was the best TV picture I've ever seen.

The A95L was next to a 77" A80L. The A80L is very good, but I was surprised how much better the A95L was (at least to my eyes, I am not an expert).

Unfortunately, the 77" A95L is $5K right now, which isn't exactly chump change. It will be unrequited love for now:

My eyes adored you
Though I never laid a hand on you
My eyes adored you
Like a million miles away from me
You couldn't see how I adored you
So close, so close and yet so far

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I felt the same way when I was shopping for my C1.
“You're just too good to be true… Can’t take my eyes off of you…”

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Oh...

My vehicle had space to lay my 65" OLED flat with no issues. For assembly, the instructions ask you to lay it flat any way. My ottoman is the same height as the sectional and when combined created a large safe surface to work on. The panel itself is only 1/4" thick but felt sturdy. You'll still need a second person to move it around. They warn you in the instructions not to grab the panel at the corners, as tempting as that might be. Safest position is to have the hands a few inches in from the corners.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
No more assembly talk. I still have nightmares.
Right! Doesn't take much to crack a screen on LED. Lost two installing myself one 55" and a 48". Throwing two TV's in the dumpster that looked perfectly good with the power off, I developed PTSD over those.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Walmart put the C2 on sale. 65" is now 1399. (55" is 1149).

Outside of a special delivery not being shipped, I might have to consider the 55" C3, which would def keep it in budget, and be transportable in my car, perhaps even the Lady's Ridgeline in the cab..

Ordering the C2 65" is tempting. Still in budget and would be shipped, though.

If it came down to year old model at 65, or current model at 55... ?

Edit: I measured my car again, and if I built a jig, I should be able to transport the 65 c3 lying down. The 55: will fit either vehicle, but I would still need to build a jig for the Model Y as the back is not flat, though it stands up just right in the back of the Ridgeline cab.
*scratches chin quizzically ;)

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Walmart put the C2 on sale. 65" is now 1399. (55" is 1149).

Outside of a special delivery not being shipped, I might have to consider the 55" C3, which would def keep it in budget, and be transportable in my car, perhaps even the Lady's Ridgeline in the cab..

Ordering the C2 65" is tempting. Still in budget and would be shipped, though.

If it came down to year old model at 65, or current model at 55... ?

Edit: I measured my car again, and if I built a jig, I should be able to transport the 65 c3 lying down. The 55: will fit either vehicle, but I would still need to build a jig for the Model Y as the back is not flat, though it stands up just right in the back of the Ridgeline cab.
*scratches chin quizzically ;)
Get the 65" and rent a truck from U-Haul.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis